The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Milab VM-44
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Milab VM-44

Is anyone familiar with the "Milab VM-44" SDC mic?

How do they sound compared to KM84 or C451?

Milab VM-44

Thanks,

Ron
Old 24th February 2009
member no 666

Having one... all I can say is "different". It's not as 'velvety' as a KM-84 and not as strident as a 451. It's very 'clear', very 'accurate' feeling... but not 'sterile' in it's accuracy more like very detailed in it's accuracy.

It, and the DC-96 along with the KM-69, e22Ss and a couple of others are my first call tools for the lions share of acoustic instruments that get recorded at our joint... and we record a lot of acoustic instruments so a wide range of tools is a big deal for us.

The Milab stuff is very often "first" or "second" call tools [in other words, they don't get too many days off at our joint].

Hope this helps.

Peace.
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Glad you bring them up! I like them a lot. And their from around there!

Petter
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Having one... all I can say is "different". It's not as 'velvety' as a KM-84 and not as strident as a 451. It's very 'clear', very 'accurate' feeling... but not 'sterile' in it's accuracy more like very detailed in it's accuracy..

Thanks Fletcher,

seems to be a more neutral mic.
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wheeler View Post
Thanks Fletcher,

seems to be a more neutral mic.
Mostly neutral. There is a definite "upper-most-presence" thing going on, but I tend to use the VM44 as a mid-to-far field mic which counteracts that a little.

I'd love to check out the omni capsule for it, actually. The peak is supposed to happen a little lower...and it's an omni which I prefer for distance recording in general.

We have a DC96B, too. Very cool mic, but VERY different. The VM44's a lot less different.
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The Milab stuff is very often "first" or "second" call tools [in other words, they don't get too many days off at our joint].
While we're talking about the seldom-mentioned Milab mics, how about the VIP-50? I bought one in the 90's after seeing a picture of Manhattan Transfer grouped around one at a recording session. At the time, it was one of the few (affordable) mics with a wide cardioid pattern, and was endorsed by Bruce Swedien. I have woefully under-used it, I think, and often forget to even take it out for vocal sessions. Any love for this strange, square mic?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search