The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AM670... hypothetically
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Maniac

AM670... hypothetically

The AM660 mono module is, as we all know, $1299 - making a pair about $2600. I was just wondering about something... let's say there was a dual channel rack unit (same specs, everything identical but format) that we'll call the AM670 - how much do you think it would cost? I often wonder how much money we save with the 500 series modules - a lot, I imagine.

I don't want my stance on this thread to be misjudged; I am a big fan of 500 series and rackable units alike. This is a thread in favor of the 500 series and the ways in which designers/manufacturers are able to cut costs because of it... merely a thought based on the question of value that's interesting to ponder.

Anyway, my guess is that our hypothetical AM670 rackmount unit would be about $4000, but I could be completely wrong.

BTW- i bet the AM670 isn't that farfetched anyway. at least that's what i heard...
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
The AM660 mono module is, as we all know, $1299 - making a pair about $2600. I was just wondering about something... let's say there was a dual channel rack unit (same specs, everything identical but format) that we'll call the AM670 - how much do you think it would cost? I often wonder how much money we save with the 500 series modules - a lot, I imagine.

I don't want my stance on this thread to be misjudged; I am a big fan of 500 series and rackable units alike. This is a thread in favor of the 500 series and the ways in which designers/manufacturers are able to cut costs because of it... merely a thought based on the question of value that's interesting to ponder.

Anyway, my guess is that our hypothetical AM670 rackmount unit would be about $4000, but I could be completely wrong.

BTW- i bet the AM670 isn't that farfetched anyway. at least that's what i heard...
i understand 660s and 670s are biased differently. from conversations with Greg Amels i gathered he thought a 660 can sound slightly better than a 670, that's why they went for the 660, but this is conjecture on my part.

FWIW i and several others didn't hear a difference between the Ana 660 and a very pristine genuine 670 once.
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Maniac

That's interesting. A friend of mine had e-mailed Anamod a few weeks ago, concerned that he'd end up buying a pair of 660s and then a 670 rack unit would come out. One of them (Greg, I suppose) responded that he couldn't comment on the future of that particular concept and explained that if it was a reality, it would cost way more than a pair of 660s, due to it being a full-size dual-channel piece and not 500 modules.

I think this is fairly obvious to anyone who understands the differences between standard equipment and 500 equipment, but nevertheless, this is what got me wondering about how much it would cost. I'm mostly curious about how much is saved (financially) by utilizing the 500 format. It's pretty amazing whatever it is.
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear
we have some pretty nice gear here, but i tell you these little things rock, and i had exactly 2 spaces left in my 11 space 500 rack, so there you are! it's very easy to match them, very few knobs to deal with and the sound is there i tell you. the only down side is they're a wee bit wider than other 500 format cards so it was a hassle getting them to fit, but we finally did it. if you decide on those you may want to talk to greg about shaving a little off the sides so they slide in easier. other than that, three thumbs up. thumbsup

i also bought the ATS-1 which i use on just about everything. these guys are onto something IMO (i have no affiliation with them other than being a client).
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Maniac

I agree with you, based on what I've heard so far (drum, bass and vox sound clips in that one thread) and the 660 sounds truly amazing. I never owned a Fairchild, but I used one daily for years, so I'm quite familiar with the sound, habits and characteristics of them. I was completely blown away when I heard what these things are capable of... I think it's utterly breathtaking that this concept has finally been properly realized - and, of all things, in a 500 series format. Brilliant. I'm ordering a pair this week.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search