The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River Preamps..why the huge price difference?
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Great River Preamps..why the huge price difference?

I have been wanting a Great River 2NV for years now! Money was tight for the past 3 years. I just made the move on the API 500V rack (10 space) and I am glad I did that, for I truly need the space to build with some great pres/eq's/comps. For starters I purchased two API 512C's and I am blown away with the quality! (Thank you Adam at Mercenary!)

Anyway, I have noticed huge price comparisons between the Great River 1NV and the MP500NV! Were talking almost a $300.00 increase on the 1NV.

I wanted to get two channels of GR, but I was not sure if I wanted to get the stand alone 2NV, or go 500 series. But when I found out the MP500NV takes up 2 rack spaces, I started to think about one 2NV or two 1NV's (lol..hope this is not too confusing!) But because of the huge price increase on the stand alones, I am kinda forced to go the 500 series route.

If all three models were equal in price, I would get the 2NV so I would still have those 4 empty slots in my API rack!

So I was just wondering why the such big gaps in the values of these units!

Cheers my good mates,
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear
I can't attest to the price difference. As an owner of a 2NV and 2 500's, I can say they both sound equally divine. The only definitive difference I know of is the lack of the insert patch on the 500. I had a similar thought, though. With all the specials on 500 racks, the price of the rack plus 2 GR modules was less than getting another 2NV!
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

The cost difference results from the power supply costs on the 19" rack version.
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, it's power supply and much increased cost of metalwork, chassis, front panel and some internal brackets.
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Wow! Thanks guys. That is a real shame. It would be wonderful to have the options with no price point change. Oh well, this still does not stop me from buying GR! heh
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Wonderful or not, you can't fault Great River for passing on additional costs, it's called running a business....
Old 23rd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
I have been wanting a Great River 2NV for years now! Money was tight for the past 3 years. I just made the move on the API 500V rack (10 space) and I am glad I did that, for I truly need the space to build with some great pres/eq's/comps. For starters I purchased two API 512C's and I am blown away with the quality! (Thank you Adam at Mercenary!)

Anyway, I have noticed huge price comparisons between the Great River 1NV and the MP500NV! Were talking almost a $300.00 increase on the 1NV.

I wanted to get two channels of GR, but I was not sure if I wanted to get the stand alone 2NV, or go 500 series. But when I found out the MP500NV takes up 2 rack spaces, I started to think about one 2NV or two 1NV's (lol..hope this is not too confusing!) But because of the huge price increase on the stand alones, I am kinda forced to go the 500 series route.

If all three models were equal in price, I would get the 2NV so I would still have those 4 empty slots in my API rack!

So I was just wondering why the such big gaps in the values of these units!

Cheers my good mates,
If you've got a 500 Rack with free slots........I'd grab the 500 series Module. There is ZERO sonic difference between the ME1NV!! No one says you have to always leave the preamp in the rack at all times. This is the great thing about a modular rack. Many of my clients and friends are building a 500 card locker, directly next to their mic locker. Its a really great way to build an ARSENAL!!!!!

One day you might be tracking, and the next mixing. Its up to you!! Either way, I'd say you're going to jumping around your studio screaming with glee, wondering why you didn't pull the trigger on the MP500NV sooner. I can confidently state that I think the Great River might be; the most flexible preamplifier known to man kind. EDIT: if you need the options; Dan @ Great River will do it for you, without a struggle. He's kind of the MAN in that regard. +1 For GREAT RIVER!!!!
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
If you've got a 500 Rack with free slots........I'd grab the 500 series Module. There is ZERO sonic difference between the ME1NV!! No one says you have to always leave the preamp in the rack at all times. This is the great thing about a modular rack. Many of my clients and friends are building a 500 card locker, directly next to their mic locker. Its a really great way to build an ARSENAL!!!!!
Damn man... that's so simple its brilliant!!! I don't know why I've never thought of that lol Seriously though!
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
Wonderful or not, you can't fault Great River for passing on additional costs, it's called running a business....
Who is faulting GR? I was asking a qestion..no harm in that!

Adam, good word...I agree with you! I will end up getting two MP500NV's!
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Many of my clients and friends are building a 500 card locker, directly next to their mic locker. Its a really great way to build an ARSENAL!!!!!
What a really clever pun.

A short question though, when they're removed, shouldn't they be placed somewhere safe like an anti-static bag?
Old 23rd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Fingers View Post
What a really clever pun.

A short question though, when they're removed, shouldn't they be placed somewhere safe like an anti-static bag?
You don't need to keep your 500 cards into an anti-static bag, but whatever floats your boat. Why not make an Anti-static Locker?
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
Who is faulting GR? I was asking a qestion..no harm in that!
And it got answered by the man himself. thumbsup

I was speaking more generally. i.e.--- it's not a real shame at all, but instead the simple reality of higher costs.

Enjoy your new preamps.
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Well whether manufactures like it or not, the 500 series is the future. (I would think most would be stoked) I can only imagine that people will be buying more gear because of them. I certainly have parted with a lot of money to equip my "home" studio.

I am taking my Mac Laptop, a small rack full of Apogee AD/DA, Comps, etc, a lunchbox and a box of mics out to track a drummer in his personal studio for a session this weekend. I don't expect subpar results either! Its a great room. I am stoked just thinking about it.

Its in some ways the only way the music industry can survive. Good engineers and mixers, will always be in demand, and will survive. Their tool kits will continue to evolve. Adapt or die.
Old 25th February 2009
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy View Post
Yep, it's power supply and much increased cost of metalwork, chassis, front panel and some internal brackets.
From the man himself.

I love both my 2 MP-500NV modules and my mp-2NV 19 inch rack unit. And yes, they sound the same to me... But I had the rack unit before I had the Lunchbox, otherwise I would have gone all 500 series. The 2 space issue was because Dan did not wish to compromise on the power supply in the 500 series modules. I cannot argue with that logic, nor the sound of them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search