The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking For A U87 type sounding Mic
Old 23rd February 2009
Here for the gear

Looking For A U87 type sounding Mic

I am trying to pick out a mic that is similar to the Neumann U87 for male rock vocals. I currently have a Lawson 251, C414,Dragonfly, Sputniks. I have neve1073,Focusrite isa828, Avalon737, Api 3124, so I think I have the pre's covered. Just don't really like the sound of these mics on these vocals. Tried a U87ai and it had more of the sound I was looking for. But I was wondering which Lawson, Peluso or Pearleman mics come close to the U87. I like my Lawson on most vocals but need a different flavor. What does the Lawson 47 capsule sound like?

Thanks
Keith
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

If you shop around you can get a U87ai for close to the price of those other mics you mentioned.

Try soundpure.com. I got a brand new U87ai from them with shockmount for $2499, which isn't a whole lot more than a comparable Peluso, Lawson, etc.

Or get a used one on ebay for even less!
Old 23rd February 2009
Dan
Lives for gear

A U87 is a perfect U87 type microphone.
Old 23rd February 2009
Gotta agree with Dan. If you want a U87 and have tha t kind of budget you could easily pick up a decent second hand one.
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

The 70s U87s I've tried have sounded better to me in general. You might want to explore that direction too...
Old 23rd February 2009
Here for the gear

I get what you guys are saying. I guess 1 of my considerations is the personal service you get from the smaller companies. If I could get close to the U87 sound (does not have to be exact) but keep the customer service level that these guys offer it would be a plus.
Old 23rd February 2009
Dan
Lives for gear

While I love both the sound and service of Lawson microphones, an L47 isn't something I would use in place of an 87, it's a thicker sound in general, and the presence in the mids is just different. Maybe a fet L47 but that's just closer than the tube. If you already have a 251, the fet 47 would be a good compliment, as you could swap out the capsules. Also, I don't think I would ask Gene to make a 47 capsule that sounds like a KK87, but that's just me, as I already have 87s.

I often use the fet 47 when I need a vocal to cut through heavy guitar tracks. I'll use an 87 for a more generic sound. i.e. don't know exactly what I need, but it never sucks.
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

The Gefell UMT70S is frequently compared to the U87, and can be had new for about the cost of a used U87. FWIW, I have both an older U87i and a pair of the Gefells, and I find the Neumann somewhat mellower and maybe a little bigger on the bottom. Haven't used the ai version, so I can't vouch for the differences. In general, though, the Gefells are my most useful overall mics.
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear Addict

anyone compared a ADK Hamburg Mk8 to an 87??

Are they in the same ballpark?

My budget for new gear is'nt the same as was a couple years ago.
Old 23rd February 2009
Here for the gear

U87 Neumann quality

You can easyly stay with the Neuman U 87 / Multi-pattern mic with K 67 capsule, omni, cardioid and figure 8 patterns, pad and filter in woodbox --- which you can find for a really good price of around $1,995.0.. here EEI Home visit them, they usually give dealer price for a lot of stuf like Sennheiser, Epson, Canare, Sony, Belden, Midas Consoles, Mackie and so forth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynman View Post
I am trying to pick out a mic that is similar to the Neumann U87 for male rock vocals. I currently have a Lawson 251, C414,Dragonfly, Sputniks. I have neve1073,Focusrite isa828, Avalon737, Api 3124, so I think I have the pre's covered. Just don't really like the sound of these mics on these vocals. Tried a U87ai and it had more of the sound I was looking for. But I was wondering which Lawson, Peluso or Pearleman mics come close to the U87. I like my Lawson on most vocals but need a different flavor. What does the Lawson 47 capsule sound like?

Thanks
Keith
Old 23rd February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A U87 is a perfect U87 type microphone.
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

u87 has a colored sound, darker highs,
verry hyped mid bass.

sounds similar to u47i fet

its personal taste.
i like 100% transparent transformerless audix cx-112

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search