The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you believe this????!!! Neve 1073 DPA problem Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Neve 1073 DPA problem. Please Help

Can you believe this??!!! I have a 1073 DPA unit for a while now. When i bought it and i received it from neve the transformers on the inside where all loose. See my topic on this at the time Help with Neve 1073 DPA!

I then sent it back and i got a new one. Now 7 months later i was doing a recording session and suddenly the 2 clip lights lit up and do not go off any more. Very strange. Signal is not clipping nor distorting but light won't go off.

It gets even stranger. I powered the neve unit without anything attached to it no signal, not even cables. I turn it on, wait a while and suddely the clipping lights go on and it does not matter what i do they stay on. Only by switching off unit it goes away. I did nothing with the rack it has been in my studio rack all the time.

I am really dissappointed since i expect a great product from a great and legendary name like neve and you also pay a steep price, but it is already my second unit and problems again. What is going on with neve and quality control???!!

Does anyone have had this problem or knows what is going on?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Marrone
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Anyone?
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Anybody with knowledge about Neve guts and/or knowledge about electrics?
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Well you have some kind of internal component failure by the sound of it. If it's only 7 months old you should be phoning Neve or the dealer that sold it to you and getting a new one, not attempting to fix it yourself.
Old 22nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

I am not planning in repairing it myself, but i thought that this maybe is a small problem and easily fixed. I hoped somebody could confirm that this is a problem that cannot be fixed easily. I hate to be sending this back again to the dealer.
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post
Can you believe this??!!! I have a 1073 DPA unit for a while now. When i bought it and i received it from neve the transformers on the inside where all loose. See my topic on this at the time Help with Neve 1073 DPA!

I then sent it back and i got a new one. Now 7 months later i was doing a recording session and suddenly the 2 clip lights lit up and do not go off any more. Very strange. Signal is not clipping nor distorting but light won't go off.

It gets even stranger. I powered the neve unit without anything attached to it no signal, not even cables. I turn it on, wait a while and suddely the clipping lights go on and it does not matter what i do they stay on. Only by switching off unit it goes away. I did nothing with the rack it has been in my studio rack all the time.

I am really dissappointed since i expect a great product from a great and legendary name like neve and you also pay a steep price, but it is already my second unit and problems again. What is going on with neve and quality control???!!

Does anyone have had this problem or knows what is going on?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Marrone
Hi

It is obviously malfunctioning and I can't see what any circuit advice here can help you. Just contact who you bought it from and get them to sort out the problem or send you a new one.

Old 22nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Dear Geoff,

Thank your very much for your answer and expertise. I will send it to my dealer tomorrow.

Cheers,

Marrone
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not planning in repairing it myself, but i thought that this maybe is a small problem and easily fixed. I hoped somebody could confirm that this is a problem that cannot be fixed easily. I hate to be sending this back again to the dealer.
Well even a small problem...if you open it up it usually voids the warranty.
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

Not being acquanted with the unit, my guess is that the LED is driven by a comparitor.... there's either a big dc offset from a leaky capacitor on the sample side, or the reference has shorted to 0v so that any signal, including noise, would turn on the LED.

Either way, it's way past user fixing...

Old 23rd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Not being acquanted with the unit, my guess is that the LED is driven by a comparitor.... there's either a big dc offset from a leaky capacitor on the sample side, or the reference has shorted to 0v so that any signal, including noise, would turn on the LED.

Either way, it's way past user fixing...

Thanks again Geoff! You really know your stuff!!
Old 23rd February 2009
Here for the gear

I have the Neve 1073 also and after about 6 months I started to get a hissing sound when phanthom power was used. Tried all different mics and settings and still same problem. I send the unit back and they sent a new one. I have had the new unit for 4 months and that one has developed a problem with the gain control. I am knd of disappointed in this purchase so far. I thought the Neve quality was a little better.
Old 23rd February 2009
Neve is just a corporate brand name. It has nothing to do with the original owner.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

unfortunately - I heard so many horror stories of the poor service, I went with a different manufacturer with whom I had only amazing experiences. Sorry to hear of your troubles. It is unacceptable in my opinion, especially when you pay so much for that name and that gear and you look at all the other audio companies giving such amazing service.
Old 28th May 2011
Gear Nut

Hi there

What was the problem? I am experiencing the same error..

/ Z
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

just call up AMS Neve or your dealer. its that simple...
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Nut

Hi

The thing is i got the unit used, it's 3 years old and therfore no Warranty
i know a really good tech that i thing can fix it,
but i would just be great to know what to look for.

thanks

/Z
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
just call up AMS Neve or your dealer. its that simple...
it's not that simple, the authorized repair tech may be unwilling to fix the unit in a reasonable amount of time. thus baiting you to sell, and he'll be waiting for you on ebay my friend.

I strongly suggest to all - do not buy any AMS neve gear you'll regret the day when it fails, this company will not take responsibility for their poor design.

8816 owners - there a serious heat issue in the input section, have an electrician install a heat sink (there's two vulnerable transistors, when they fail the input section fries.)

Last edited by The Amplighter; 29th May 2011 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: add
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amplighter View Post
it's not that simple, the authorized repair tech may be unwilling to fix the unit in a reasonable amount of time. thus baiting you to sell, and he'll be waiting for you on ebay my friend.

I strongly suggest to all - do not buy any AMS neve gear you'll regret the day when it fails, this company will not take responsibility for their poor design.

8816 owners - there a serious heat issue in the input section, have an electrician install a heat sink (there's two vulnerable transistors, when they fail the input section fries.)
what a whole bunch of nonsense. get sober my friend.. i wouldnt say that ams does the best gear out there. but thats just personal taste. i prefer a different sound. but the units i have used are build very well and never failed me (i had my 1073 on the road for around three years. no prolems whatsoever...and that was very heavy and reckless usage). you may have had a bad experience with a certain unit. and i dont know about the 8816 prolem you are pointing out. but your post is a bit akward. its actually really stupid when re-reading your first two pragraphs.
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
actually really stupid
My 8816 went down in the middle of a very serious album project, it took AMS Neve 1 week to forward the RMA number to the authorized repair center and the center refused to contact me.

after 30 days i listed the unit for sale on ebay (under my sir name) and the high bidder was from the same city in MO. as the a.r. center (i do realize this is just speculation here.) there's currently only 1 a.r.center in the u.s. (which tells you the electricians aren't going to play the ams neve rma game, once again speculation.)

I still suffer flashbacks whilst turning on this unit. (i guess the fix is owning 2 units)

As shocking as this may sound, it is true.
(i'm not associated in any way whatsoever with any electronic manufacturers.)
best.

Last edited by The Amplighter; 31st May 2011 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: spell
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Nut

Anyone know if it is possible to get a scematic for the DPA ?
/Z
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amplighter View Post
My 8816 went down in the middle of a very serious album project, it took AMS Neve 1 week to forward the RMA number to the authorized repair center and the center refused to contact me.

after 30 days i listed the unit for sale on ebay (under my sir name) and the high bidder was from the same city in MO. as the a.r. center (i do realize this is just speculation here.) there's currently only 1 a.r.center in the u.s. (which tells you the electricians aren't going to play the ams neve rma game, once again speculation.)

I still suffer flashbacks whilst turning on this unit. (i guess the fix is owning 2 units)

As shocking as this may sound, it is true.
(i'm not associated in any way whatsoever with any electronic manufacturers.)
best.
im really sorry to hear this. please understand my post though. as i said. i had great experience with them. your post just seemed a but over generalizing. which is why may have used a bit too strong words. apologies if that was the case.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Can you believe this??!!! I have a 1073 DPA unit for a while now. When i bought it and i received it from neve the transformers on the inside where all loose. See my topic on this at the time https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...-1073-dpa.html
I know this thread but old, but I wanted to add that I too have experienced the "loose transformer" issue when I purchased a 2254/R. Whn the unit arrived and I unpacked it, I could hear something knocking around inside the case. I opened it up and was surprised to see the Carnhill transformer block loose. In fact all pins were bent out of shape. With a full sweat on I got the pin pliers and knife out to straighten them bad boys out. Had to source a screw to bolt the block back on the board.
Shocking stuff!
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Head

old thread, i know, but here's some info for future reference...

I have a 1073 DPA, I was worried when i always powered on my 1073 that I would hear a series or 4-5 clicks along with 4-5 series of LED flashes.
I contacted Chris @ neve, he said that the internal power supply is very sensitive to insufficiant power. The 1073 essentially calibrates itself power wise to what juice you are driving into it. So, It may click (reset) 1-2 times or 4-5 times as it did for me while it "set in". I have it plugged into a Furman AR1215 Regulator and get no issues now, so perhaps the source you are plugging it into is way out of range for the 1073 to handle.

I also get the feeling that many other problems users have with the 1073dpa as well as the 8816 are based on power supply problems.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search