The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
You can buy NEW KM84 capsules ( NOT KM184)!
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

You can buy NEW KM84 capsules ( NOT KM184)!

Am I late to the party? Did I miss something on the Neumann website?

In front of me I have a NEW km84 capsule on an OLD KMi body... Its not a KM184. Im 100% positive. Its a NEW KM84 capsule... Literally Im holding it in my hands before I compare it to my old M280N (KM84 no pad)...

I was just curious why I don't see them on the website. My mentor bought them a couple months ago.... New. From Neumann.

Did I miss something completely?

Im just excited to compare a 50 year old capsule and a brand new one... and they are in theory the same capsule. Should be fun.

If its really exciting, Ill post but I doubt it cause I hate posting myself playing or singing and its just me tonight... So no need to ask for samples- I haven't even started yet and may wait till tomorrow- Im just setting up the room.
Old 21st February 2009
Gear Addict

Very cool! Can't wait to hear. May I ask how much they cost?
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lird View Post
Very cool! Can't wait to hear. May I ask how much they cost?
Not sure, but they weren't cheap...

Ill find out before I post an answer since otherwise its just speculation... and I think all km84 lovers will want to know for sure!

The only thing I know for sure is they are real. Which is why Im amazed they aren't advertised more... or better.... or at all! I wonder which ones they make- 83, 84, 85????

I do know it was a long time coming... Hes been trying to buy them for YEARS for his KM83s and it used to actually cost MORE THAN A NEW MIC to buy just the capsule... No joke. You would be better off getting the entire thing because the capsule was special order. I don't know what changed but again... I have a brand new KM84 capsule in front of me...
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

And what can one do with a new KM84 capsule? Can they be plugged into a KM100 body?
Old 21st February 2009
Gear Addict

Maybe a new product that hasn't been released yet?
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
And what can one do with a new KM84 capsule? Can they be plugged into a KM100 body?
Im not sure if they fit the new bodies or not. Ive never owned 184s so Im not very familiar.

I was excited to know if your KM84 had an crap capsule, you could buy a new one without going to a KM184.

But I totally agree with all the questions! Thats why I posted- I HAVE NO IDEA! Im telling you my mentors wife kept having everyone argue with her that they had to be 184 caps... Since she spoke directly to Neumann, she wasn't worried! I said the EXACT same stuff to her and she explained everyone was telling her that but we were all wrong and apparently Neumann has always made the capsule, since its inception.

Again, this is all second hand info other than the capsule in front of me! Set up the room and bailed last night. Its been network issues all afternoon so no report yet...
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear

Neumann keep spares for their mikes . they changed the connector for my U47 and it''s a known fact they have ALL the spares for the KM84 .
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
Maybe a new product that hasn't been released yet?
TLM-84?
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Have replaced quite a few in the past few years.

Nothing new...

Over the last few years I've purchased many replacement capsules for my original KM84's.
I've also kept al the original capsules, and use the best as a basis for comparison.
Sonically they sound the same, when placed on the original mic bodies.
Old 22nd February 2009

Neumann still makes a variety of their older capsules... they certainly aren't cheap, though..
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Checked it tonight, sounded great. The M280Ns I have sound too different from the KM84 (hotter output, more top end) so I can t say anything in comparison other than relative to a KM84, it sounded great as other posters predicted. Same capsule.

Also had an original 414 with the ck12 cap and man did it sound freaking ridiculous... I use it at my Mentors on piano a lot but never really played with it in my room with instruments I know really well.

Thats one hell of a capsule...
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

According to Neumann's site the KM 84 and KM 184 use the same capsule. The HF lift in the '184 is due to the body vents behind the the capsule being smaller in the '184. Scroll down to "Acoustic features" at the link above for the details.
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
According to Neumann's site the KM 84 and KM 184 use the same capsule. The HF lift in the '184 is due to the body vents behind the the capsule being smaller in the '184. Scroll down to "Acoustic features" at the link above for the details.
Yeah, I had already read that. The 184 and the 84 are NOT interchangeable though....

Look on the Neumann site and tell me where to find a KM84 replacement cap...?
Old 22nd February 2009
Lives for gear

That's true. I don't think I was clear - the point I wanted to make was both the KM 84 and KM 184 uses the same capsule design. The actual implementation in each mic is different and therefore not swapable as you point out.

I mentioned this because many people are under the impression there is a different capsule used in each mic, when it is the same capsule with a different vent design.
Old 22nd February 2009
AB3
Lives for gear
Why not call Sennheiser USA and see if you can order one? It may also be in a parts department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post

Look on the Neumann site and tell me where to find a KM84 replacement cap...?
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
I mentioned this because many people are under the impression there is a different capsule used in each mic, when it is the same capsule with a different vent design.

Gotcha. Im referencing the capsule and its housing and assembly (not sure how you would word it). I assumed posters knew that! But good point cause it wasn't clear.

And I haven't called Sennheiser because I don't need a replacement! Mine sound GREAT! Im just surprised simply of two things-
1. You can EASILY buy a NEW (not NOS) KM84 capsule.
2. They don't advertise this anywhere.
Old 23rd March 2009
Here for the gear

Part number for NEW KM-84 capsule!

After reading this thread I decided to call Neumann USA (aka Sennheiser). Spoke with a gent named Bruce in parts, and yes, you CAN get new capsules! Don't know if they are NOS or what. But:

New KM84 capsule part number 053228 - $528.00

I have a KM83 (omni) so I will order the new one and get double duty out of the preamp...

Curt
Old 24th March 2009
Here for the gear

Part number is for nickel, not black

I should have mentioned, the part number I posted was for the nickel version, the black version is a different part number so connect to the part department first!
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.vincent View Post
After reading this thread I decided to call Neumann USA (aka Sennheiser). Spoke with a gent named Bruce in parts, and yes, you CAN get new capsules! Don't know if they are NOS or what. But:

I have a KM83 (omni) so I will order the new one and get double duty out of the preamp...

Curt
Its posts like this that make threads like these worthwhile!

Thats exactly what we did, and the cap sounds awesome.thumbsup
Old 19th May 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:

Curt
I just got an email from Sennheiser, these are newly manufactured, not NOS so I didn't order one yet, keep hoping to find a KM84 capsule for my KMi body. Anyone who bought one, did you A/B them with an original Neumann capsule?
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just got an email from Sennheiser, these are newly manufactured, not NOS so I didn't order one yet, keep hoping to find a KM84 capsule for my KMi body. Anyone who bought one, did you A/B them with an original Neumann capsule?
Dear poor soul,

The newly manufactured caps are 100% as GOOD as the old ones, in fact they are the SAME. If you are looking for an old capsule you are crazy. We have 4 old and 2 new. The new ones sound 100% indistinguishable from the old. They NEVER STOPPED MAKING KM84 caps.

Why you are under the impression that you need old ones is 100% beyond me... Probably too much misinformation on the internet.

So go back. Buy the caps. Record music. And stop reading BS internet crap!
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

brass plectrums sound better with the new KM84 capsule heh

Seriously though..what the suprise? Neumann have always made the KK84 capsule as they have make many other spares for there mics past and present.

When you need a spare for something it's always good practice to ring the company that makes it to check, no matter how old the product.

For reference the new KK84 capsule is ยฃ684 + vat in the UK according to sennheiser.

The KM184 capsule only shares the same diaphragm platelet as the KM84 capsule. The acoustic treatment of both is very different.

Klaus Heyne once told me: "As to the sound differences of a new KK84 vs, older one: it all depends from what period the older (or your) KK84 would be: the timbre can range from blah to liquid gold, from high -end peak to low end lush. All over the map, not only from the different batches but from different uses.

The current replacement, when bought new, is quite lush in the bass or over powering in that region, depending on the sample of capsule and the taste of the listener. I like the current generation quite a bit, because it is truly as full-figured in the lower mids and lows as the KK84 has ever been. None of this is an issue unless you need to match to an existing second or third KM84 in your possession."
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Dear poor soul,

The newly manufactured caps are 100% as GOOD as the old ones, in fact they are the SAME. If you are looking for an old capsule you are crazy. We have 4 old and 2 new. The new ones sound 100% indistinguishable from the old. They NEVER STOPPED MAKING KM84 caps.

Why you are under the impression that you need old ones is 100% beyond me... Probably too much misinformation on the internet.

So go back. Buy the caps. Record music. And stop reading BS internet crap!
Whoa! Easy big guy! I just wanted to know if there was an NOS collection Sennheiser inherited with the Neumann acquisition. I have no problem with newly manufactured caps, if I did I'd never reskin a mic, eh? Besides, with the KM-84 it's all about the preamp, pad and interchangeable pattern caps. The 184s don't have any of those nice features!

Curt (changed login to drybones)
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Head

Bought the cardiod capsule

Just an update. Finally bought the cardioid capsule for the KM84. I had an omni capsule and wanted the cardioid. It came from Sennheiser (who bought Neumann). Total cost with shipping, $550. Am I happy? You bet! Man, it is a PERFECT replacement/upgrade. I mean even the color matched perfectly. Sounds great, looks great and it is brand spanking new. What is not to like?
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Nice. Better buy some spares before my originals crap out.
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

So, new 84's are not available because they cannot be bothered to make BODIES?
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I late to the party? Did I miss something on the Neumann website?

In front of me I have a NEW km84 capsule on an OLD KMi body... Its not a KM184. Im 100% positive. Its a NEW KM84 capsule... Literally Im holding it in my hands before I compare it to my old M280N (KM84 no pad)...

I was just curious why I don't see them on the website. My mentor bought them a couple months ago.... New. From Neumann.

Did I miss something completely?

Im just excited to compare a 50 year old capsule and a brand new one... and they are in theory the same capsule. Should be fun.

If its really exciting, Ill post but I doubt it cause I hate posting myself playing or singing and its just me tonight... So no need to ask for samples- I haven't even started yet and may wait till tomorrow- Im just setting up the room.
yes, you missed something :-) neumann never stopped doing those capsules..
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
So, new 84's are not available because they cannot be bothered to make BODIES?
Evidently. This makes me sad.
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.beck View Post
Evidently. This makes me sad.
? off course they have the bodies...where do you get your information from?
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post

off course they have the bodies...
So, does this mean that Neumann currently produces and stocks original-style "KM84" bodies as well as the capsules? So can you buy a brand new KM84 capsule and brand new "old-style" body, put it all together and basically have yourself a brand spankin' new "KM84" microphone?

If not... might there be a way to modify the new-style bodies to make them perform more like the old-style bodies?

By the way, I'm happy with my KM-184s as is, but this is all a bit interesting, being that a lot of folks go to great lengths to hunt down and buy "vintage" KM84 microphones... and pay way too much also. It would be a real pisser if we all could have been buying brand new "KM84" microphones all this time.

And why the heck doesn't Neumann offer a new KM84 mic "reissue" anyway? Seems that just about every pro audio buff has a desire for at least a few. Do us audio pros really make up that small a percentage of the market Neumann sells to? Considering the hype on this forum (that has over 100,000 members) and all the crazy prices at Ebay etc, you think Neumann would have offered a reissue by now. And being an SDC mic, they could offer it relatively "cheap" (as in the same price as a KM184), would be very obtainable for the larger percentage of the market (as opposed to some of their other more expensive "reissues"). They'd sell a LOT of these... even if just a "limited production" one-shot deal for the enthusiasts.
๐Ÿ“ Reply