The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
You can buy NEW KM84 capsules ( NOT KM184)! Condenser Microphones
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
? off course they have the bodies...where do you get your information from?
Where did you get the info they have the complete bodies? I cannot even get a spare KM84 slide switch from Neumann.
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

The electronics in the KM 84 are different than the KM 184 even if both of them use basically the same capsule with a different vents. The KM 84 has a transformer and the assemby process for the electronics in the KM 84 are more old school and this requires more labor. The KM 184 is transformerless and the electronics are surface mount types which can be put together cheaper by machines. If you could match the vents of the 84 and put that on top of a KM 184 it would be closer to the sound of a KM 84 but will not match exactly because of the different electronics.

It blows my mind that Sennheiser/Neumann won't open a "custom shop" like musical instrument makers Fender and Gibson and produce a reissue of something like a KM 84 which could still be made. They could charge a premium for these and people would pay it.
Old 11th February 2010
Gear Head

New caps, old bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Where did you get the info they have the complete bodies? I cannot even get a spare KM84 slide switch from Neumann.
As far as switch goes, have you tried calling Neumann USA? 1 (860) 434****90 Ask for Bruce in parts. The most he could say is no.

As far as old bodies go, I have no clue. I just needed a different capsule than what I had (an omni). I don't claim to know if there are any bodies kicking around.

HOWEVER, Fletcher at Mercenary (before he moved to Telefunken USA) created an KM-84 clone. About $950. Amazing story behind the creation of this clone.

Mercenary Audio MFG KM-69

While I love my vintage mics (and I do have nice collection) it is getting expensive keeping them all alive. Clarence Kane gets half my day job check <grin>. So the KM-69 and the AEA RCA clones are looking better each day.
Old 11th February 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
No they don't. If they did, I'd have bought another body [from spare parts stock from what I gather in your post] and capsule separately.I'd love to pair it up with my own KMi84.
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Um, from the fact that you can't seem to purchase a new KM84?

If you have a link or contact details of somewhere that would sell me a pair, please do share.
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
TLM-84?
i'll drown myself
haha jk that'd be an interesting idea, i wouldnt buy it though :/
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drybones View Post
...HOWEVER, Fletcher at Mercenary (before he moved to Telefunken USA) created an KM-84 clone. About $950. Amazing story behind the creation of this clone...
That mic is hardly a KM 84 clone. It shares a body vent and capsule housing with the $49 Nady CM-90. It does not have the open body venting and capsule housing design that gives the KM 84 its flat and unpeaked HF response. It was an amazing sales pitch though.
Attached Thumbnails
You can buy NEW KM84 capsules ( NOT KM184)!-km69.jpg   You can buy NEW KM84 capsules ( NOT KM184)!-nady-cm90.jpg   You can buy NEW KM84 capsules ( NOT KM184)!-km84_400.jpg  
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post

It does not have the open body venting and capsule housing design that gives the KM 84 its flat and unpeaked HF response. It was an amazing sales pitch though.
Have you USED and HEARD the KM69? What is your opinion of it's sound and performance based on first hand experience?
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Have you USED and HEARD the KM69? What is your opinion of it's sound and performance based on first hand experience?
his opinion is based on his opinion that HIS mic pwns the merc 69
Old 12th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
That mic is hardly a KM 84 clone. It shares a body vent and capsule housing with the $49 Nady CM-90. It does not have the open body venting and capsule housing design that gives the KM 84 its flat and unpeaked HF response. It was an amazing sales pitch though.
Michael,

It is a microphone that spawned from us Mercenary dudes, wanting a KM84 in our collection, without paying the price for one. I am sure you can identify with that.
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post

So, does this mean that Neumann currently produces and stocks original-style "KM84" bodies as well as the capsules?
I can't speak to the bodies/preamp as I didn't think to ask when I talked to Neumann USA service when I did buy the capsule. But I haven't seen a single post on the web suggesting that Neumann was doing this.

Reissue? Remember, Sennheiser now owns Neumann and they are making the KM184s so I don't think it is in their best interest or they would end up with a warehouse full of KM184s.

As far as KM-84s vs KM-184s, I own pairs of both and they are different. But I violently disagree that the KM-184s are inferior. They are brighter, yes! But I believe there is no such thing as a bad mic, just bad applications.

Tom Dowd (one of my heroes) used to like to use a funky Altec 633 "Salt Shaker" on kick drum! You ever used a Salt Shaker? I have a few and they are sound thin and nasal. Heck I used higher quality sounding mics in the woods with the Army Signal Corp! But do you think I would tell Mr. Down he picked the wrong mic? Heck no! After I read that I started to use my 633s in various situations I never would have considered.

There are no bad mics, just bad applications or snobbish lack of creativity.

Vaya con queso!
Drybones (Curt)
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
It is a microphone that spawned from us Mercenary dudes, wanting a KM84 in our collection, without paying the price for one.
I thought it cost $17,000 to develop?
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drybones View Post

Reissue?... I don't think it is in their best interest or they would end up with a warehouse full of KM184s.
Well, the reissue KM-84 would simply be priced higher than the KM-184, perhaps obscenely high, and lunatic gearslutz like us would still buy them... and the rest of the audio pros out there would still buy plenty of KM-184s because they ARE good mics.

Quote:
...But I violently disagree that the KM-184s are inferior...
Agreed!

Quote:
... I believe there is no such thing as a bad mic, just bad applications...
VERY true... right on, brother.

-
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Michael,

It is a microphone that spawned from us Mercenary dudes, wanting a KM84 in our collection, without paying the price for one. I am sure you can identify with that.
So you can't get a KM 84 for $950? Possibly I'm an idiot for selling my two KM84s for quite a bit less not too many years ago...or maybe the 'vintage market' these days is WAY out of hand which I'm afraid it is.

The KM 84 is a good mic but I never understood what all the fuss is about.

FWIW, I also owned a pair of Km 184s in the past but think that the KM 84 is a much better mic.
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
FWIW, I also owned a pair of Km 184s in the past but think that the KM 84 is a much better mic.
And *that* ... is what "all the fuss is about", as you put it. heh
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
...The KM 84 is a good mic but I never understood what all the fuss is about...
Folks still afflicted with Eightyfouritis* may find relief by taking Dr. Bill's Medicine.

No, not snake oil from a traveling show-on-wheels, but rather a KM 84 / mod'd MK-012 listening test guaranteed to challenge the most golden of ears. Oh, and the person who can most correctly identify the edit points between the two mics is going to win a pair of mod'd '012 mics with 6 capsules in addition to having their Eightyfouritis cured.

* a rare, but curable strain of GAS characterized by frequent and involuntary thoughts of KM 84 acquisition and use despite the availability of better value options.
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive View Post
And *that* ... is what "all the fuss is about", as you put it. heh
heh
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Here's a shot of the KM 84 and mod'd '012 at work. Bring your listening skills to the challenge and see if you can identify the edit points between them.
Attached Thumbnails
You can buy NEW KM84 capsules ( NOT KM184)!-12th3.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

pulling up an old thread which helped me out today. I needed the black capsule which is part #053229 and current price I was given as $501.66

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.vincent View Post
After reading this thread I decided to call Neumann USA (aka Sennheiser). Spoke with a gent named Bruce in parts, and yes, you CAN get new capsules! Don't know if they are NOS or what. But:

New KM84 capsule part number 053228 - $528.00

I have a KM83 (omni) so I will order the new one and get double duty out of the preamp...

Curt
Old 16th March 2019
I have two new KK84 capsules on the way, should be arriving next week. Now I want to get a pair of KK83s as well!
Old 1 week ago
So here's a question. I've finally purchased a pair of KM84s. Only ever having used an AKG c480b I think I'm in for a bit of a pleasant surprise. Wondering if anyone would suggest ordering a pair of kk53 omni capsules for use with the KM84 bodies. Also, are there any other neumann capsules meant to be fitted to KM84 bodies ? (figure-of-8, hyper cardioid?)

I'm sure it makes the most sense to just start by getting to know my new 84s, but eventually I know I'll be curious about the other available pattern options and wonder if anyone up here can provide a little context
thank you!
Old 1 week ago
My KK84s arrived yesterday, took three months "direct" from Neumann, but they did finally get here!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxfRE9iHVYn/

KK83 is the Omni capsule, I'm gonna order a pair soonish, they have 4 in stock right now apparently. There are also KK85 capsules, cardioid with the bass roll-off, but AFAIK they don't make them any more and they are supposedly not great for anything but vocals, as the roll-off is very high (around 500hz or something). I think they are the only options.

I'm looking forward to trying the KK83s as I'll be able to get really close up with no proximity effect!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
My KK84s arrived yesterday
Cool! Let us know how they sound, especially compared to your vintage ones!!
Old 6 days ago
They sound great, tested them individually the last week, and then together for the first time yesterday. Sound as good as the old ones, only much more closely matched in level and frequency, which is exactly why I bought them! Will have old ones up for sale on Reverb soon. Then will order pair of KK83s.
Old 4 days ago
Just received my first very own pair of KM84i's last night. They came with a pair of Neumann EA 21 shock mounts with elastics that are completely useless.
Hilariously T-T, and through pure operator error, I've already scraped some paint trying to adjust the mic while it was locked in the mount.

Fortunately the clip for my akg c480b works in a pinch until I get that sorted. Wondering which mounts you all recommend? I'm tempted to go with the OEM Sennheiser/Neumann SG21, but $70 each is a bit steep.

Also wondering how much use I'd get out of a stereo bar for these? I got these primarily for acoustic guitar (now I just need a martin custom shop 12 fret T-T) but I'm going to try them on pretty much everything. Room, OH, maybe amps.. a real piano if I can find one.. tambourine, shaker, vocals?? ..you name it. Should I pick up a wind sock?

I put them up with an 87 between them for a quick test on acoustic guitar, and on first blush they sounded as good as I'd hoped they would. Gonna do more listening and recording this week, but they sound well matched, so I'm probably not rushing out to get a new set of kk84s (yay*) but I do wonder how much use i'd get out of one (or two) kk83s.

Anyways, thanks for letting me celebrate the newest members of my microphone family with you folks, and for any insights you might share on potentially unexplored opportunities to play with my new friends.

I'm quite looking forward to trying M/S with an 84 and an 87 on acoustic. Shame they don't make a figure of 8 capsule for this mic body/preamp ... do they?

ps.
There is already a short thread on the subject of mounts from 2011 here:
replacement clips for km84 pair
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Just received my first very own pair of KM84i's last night. They came with a pair of Neumann EA 21 shock mounts with elastics that are completely useless.
...because all rubber loses its elasticity with time.

For very little money you can revive the original and very expensive Neumann shock mounts to full functionality by replacing the elastic bands with new, original Neumann bands. (I recommend to first practicing how to open and close the inner sleeves of the mounts to avoid marring the housing tube of the mics!)

Last edited by Klaus; 4 days ago at 05:47 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Same use here, a pair of 84s for mainly acoustic guitar. I use the Rode stereo bar, cheap and cheerful but works fine. With that bar I use a pair of cheap K&M mic clips, they are small and light and get out of the way. For mono micing, or greater distance spaced pairs, I have the Rycote INV-6 and INV-7. The Rycotes are fairly expensive but very good at eliminating vibration. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to use the Rycotes with the stereo bar for something close like XY. There are various places which do custom 3D printed stereo bars for various arrays, I've just ordered an XY one from Wilkinson Audio. Some of the 3D printed bars allow you to mount the whole bar in a Rycote suspension, for example, which should eliminate some rumble.

I have also used mine on male & female vocals, acoustic guitar, electric bass & guitar amp, shaker, and singing bowl, and they have pretty much excelled at it all. Definitely the best sounding and most versatile mics I have owned so far.

No figure 8 AFAIK, I think you need a KM86 for that, which is two KK84 capsules mounted back to back. I may be wrong, RecordingHacks will have all the deets.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
...because all rubber loses its elasticity with time.

For very little money you can revive the original and very expensive Neumann shock mounts to full functionality by replacing the elastic bands with new, original Neumann bands. (I recommend to first practicing how to open and close the inner sleeves of the mounts to avoid marring the housing tube of the mics!)

Thanks (again!) Klaus

Your advice about opening/closing the shockmount sleeves would have been especially useful yesterday . T-T
(I suspect a little common sense on my part may have helped too)

Oh well, now they look like mine

It's not terribly obvious which replacement bands are intended for use with the EA 21, but I think this is the one..

https://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/neum...ic-523778.html

Does that seem correct ?

thanks!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The clips for SM81s should work fine, though they are not as good as the previously mentioned options as far as shock mounting goes, since they offer nothing there. If you already have the mounts, seems like replacing the elastics is the way to go.

I had deleted a post above about this, because after I wrote it, I searched to see what they were going for, and found they discontinued the old SM81 clip. But now I see it has been replaced by this. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...icrophone-clip
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
The clips for SM81s should work fine, though they are not as good as the previously mentioned options as far as shock mounting goes, since they offer nothing there. If you already have the mounts, seems like replacing the elastics is the way to go.

I had deleted a post above about this, because after I wrote it, I searched to see what they were going for, and found they discontinued the old SM81 clip. But now I see it has been replaced by this. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...icrophone-clip
Thank you
looks like this should fit the 20mm body diameter perfectly.

Now I just need to figure out which of those Neumann replacement elastic bands I need for the EA 21 and I should be all set..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search