The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Mini MP 2 channel mic pre
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Apogee Mini MP 2 channel mic pre

Anyone have any experience with this little discontinued mic pre?

I have a chance to buy one used and I can't find a whole lot of actual user info / opinions about it...it's out there, but not so much on the forums.

Anyone?
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post

I have a chance to buy one used and I can't find a whole lot of actual user info / opinions about it...it's out there, but not so much on the forums.

Anyone?
In the latest edition of Sound On Sound Bob Clearmountain surprisingly has a lot of praise for it and explains how he used it on Mick Jagger in the featured Rolling Stones film.

JB
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

I use the Mini Me pres at times. They won't fatten or hype anything up, but are very fast and clean. I've used them on Acou gtr, vocals, strings, O/H (with inline pad) and piano.

They may not win all the shootouts but are a very useful , neutral piece that I use along side of other(my few) quality pres costing much more.

I've tracked entire songs through it--the tracks mixed well and had a punchy dimension reminescent of more expensive pres.

You could do a lot worse than a pair of apogee pres--at a fair used price, I would buy.
Old 19th February 2009
Yeah I would think it now comes under the heading of 'collectable'

Heh
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne View Post
In the latest edition of Sound On Sound Bob Clearmountain surprisingly has a lot of praise for it and explains how he used it on Mick Jagger in the featured Rolling Stones film.

JB
yeah he said it's the best mic pre secret out there and i believe he used it to track a lot of the stones concert including on mick jaggers voice. i think the chain was mick -> 58 -> mini mp -> board

BC is a big apogee guy though so i'm not surprised

ARAM
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear
I'm curious about mixing my board into this little device. Do you think that's ridiculous....or worth checking out?
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the re's folks..I think I'm going to pop for it.

I can get it for $450..seems about right, excellent condition...

I've been considering the FMR RNP and this seems like it might be a smidge or two better as far as I can tell.

Any opinions on this?

I'd like to use it for a range of stuff..vocals driving a Shure SM7b. Overheads on a drum kit powering small/med condensers. Mic'd acoustic strings..etc.

Most importantly though, i'm interested in it's performance with the SM7b for vox. If Bob Clearmountain is digging it on Mick's sm58, I'm pretty sure it'll mate with the SM7b..no?
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

It has enough gain for the Shure SM7b. I usally like to pair up that microphone with a preamp that is a bit hairier.
That is a great price. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It does quite nice for acoustic instruments, a pair of SDC or with an LDC.
IMO, it is better than the FMR. And it is so easily portable.
Old 21st February 2009
Gear Nut

I have used them. It is nice to have a pretty clean mic pre and DI in a small box.

They work well with dynamic and condensers. I don't like to use them with ribbons.

They do have a little bit of color to them. I like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post

Anyone?
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks guys and I bought it.

I like it..clean and like wurly said, it has a bit of color.

The Sm7b strikes me as already a tad hairy? It sounds pretty nice through this thing...to my ears anyhow.

Plenty of clean db's on this little box. I surprised at how light it was, weightwise.

I have to say this thing surprised me..i feel good about 2 channels of good premps for 225 per.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search