The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thin, Airy, Male Vocals - TLM 49 or Blue Kiwi?
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Thin, Airy, Male Vocals - TLM 49 or Blue Kiwi?

Vocal Chain would be: Mic - Api A2D - RNC -

Which would you prefer and why?

Owners of both mics feel free to post your thoughts
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Is your voice thin and airy or would you like the sound through the mic to be thin and airy? If your voice already sounds like this I would look at some mics that might give you some weight in the low mids (maybe the 47 style clones). I find that matching a mic to a voice generally calls for complementary tones rather than like ones. Hard to soft. Bright to dull. etc.

If you are looking for thin and airy though then Kiwi all the way. VERY extended top and big bass which kinds of leaves a bit of space open in the mids.
Old 19th February 2009
I was actually going to make the same suggestion. I would specifically take a look at the Peluso 2247SE, especially if you have a thin voice (but honestly, it works on pretty much anything you throw at it).
Old 19th February 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

Another BC boy, Cool

I haven't used the kiwi myself, but sat in on a session where fellow Vancouver talent (Ryan McMahon) was recording his vocal and acoustic through a pair of Kiwi's. Unfortunately, I can't recall the preamp's but I think his vox was thru an STT-1. I remember not being overly impressed with his vocal through this mic. , if you haven't heard him around town,Ry's vocal is pretty thick and round and reminiscent of Eddie Vedder's at times.People often compare this mic to U87's but I think my U87i would have faired better on that vocal.

We do have a TLM49 and I used it on M vocals for the first time a week ago - up until this point, I've only used it on F vocals, where it's faired very well. This vocal wasn't girthy like Ry's and all head sound and kind of nasally, but still worked out over the SM7 we had up too. The TLM49 is also exceptional on acoustic instruments ( I just used it as a 3rd mic on piano) and I think you'd be happy with it in this app, but FWIR, I thought the Kiwi sounded very good on acoustic, too.

I had some offline conversation with another Vancouver Engineer who also has a TLM49, and like me, is happy with it despite the lackluster love it gets here

Here's his link.Maybe contact him and see if you can audition one at his place. I think he's in Kit's, or the West Side somewhere.

P.S - presuming your avatar isn't inverted, I see you're a Lefty. So am I. Not many of us out there. Absolutely sux for finding guitars, eh? heh
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Another BC boy, Cool

I haven't used the kiwi myself, but sat in on a session where fellow Vancouver talent (Ryan McMahon) was recording his vocal and acoustic through a pair of Kiwi's. Unfortunately, I can't recall the preamp's but I think his vox was thru an STT-1. I remember not being overly impressed with his vocal through this mic. , if you haven't heard him around town,Ry's vocal is pretty thick and round and reminiscent of Eddie Vedder's at times.People often compare this mic to U87's but I think my U87i would have faired better on that vocal.

We do have a TLM49 and I used it on M vocals for the first time a week ago - up until this point, I've only used it on F vocals, where it's faired very well. This vocal wasn't girthy like Ry's and all head sound and kind of nasally, but still worked out over the SM7 we had up too. The TLM49 is also exceptional on acoustic instruments ( I just used it as a 3rd mic on piano) and I think you'd be happy with it in this app, but FWIR, I thought the Kiwi sounded very good on acoustic, too.

I had some offline conversation with another Vancouver Engineer who also has a TLM49, and like me, is happy with it despite the lackluster love it gets here

Here's his link.Maybe contact him and see if you can audition one at his place. I think he's in Kit's, or the West Side somewhere.

P.S - presuming your avatar isn't inverted, I see you're a Lefty. So am I. Not many of us out there. Absolutely sux for finding guitars, eh? heh
Thanks so much for sending me that link. It turns out he has most of the gear I have (and more) or what I'm trying to get. I loved his work too.

I've heard about 10 samples of the TLM 49 now, and I have to say it has that neumann sound - smooth, cuts through the mix with a nice top end. I have that thin, airy voice though, so I might need something to make it "bigger". any suggestions for around 2k?

btw my avatar fooled you! I'm actually a righty, and yes it must be awful trying to find a great lefty guitar.. I'm also in the market for a nice les paul, and I'm even having trouble finding one right handed!
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatt View Post
Thanks so much for sending me that link. It turns out he has most of the gear I have (and more) or what I'm trying to get. I loved his work too.

I've heard about 10 samples of the TLM 49 now, and I have to say it has that neumann sound - smooth, cuts through the mix with a nice top end. I have that thin, airy voice though, so I might need something to make it "bigger". any suggestions for around 2k?

btw my avatar fooled you! I'm actually a righty, and yes it must be awful trying to find a great lefty guitar.. I'm also in the market for a nice les paul, and I'm even having trouble finding one right handed!
Pearlman TM-1 or Peluso 2247LE/SE
Old 19th February 2009
Pat
Gear Addict

I never use my Kiwi on male vocals. Doesn't sound right.
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

I know we're trying to solve one particular persons issue, but now that someone's mentioned the Peluso brand, would anyone mind chiming in regards to the P12 please? I'm very interested in it and I'm looking for something with smoothness and sweetness but with body. I want it to sound good with a good tube pre for extra thickness but without losing the top end sheen that I've grown to love in c12's. Is this the mic for it, I really don't want to have to spend more than what this mic goes for. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I never use my Kiwi on male vocals. Doesn't sound right.
It's pretty hyped, which can make male vocals sound thin. But, it's also very clear-sounding, so that, if you can tame the excessive top, it can be a real good vocal mic.

Here's a down and dirty trick which works nicely. Cut a square of bandage gauze large enough to cover both sides of the grill. Place it over the grill, and tie it in place with a twist-tie around the neck connecting the grill to the mic body. This gets rid of the excessive top end without impacting the mic's excellent clarity. To my ear it sounds like a good U87, although maybe slightly more balanced - doesn't have the honky midrange thing that U87s have. If this sounds like I'm putting you on - I'm not.

I use the Kiwi-plus-gauze for guitar cabs also, usually angled around 45 degrees down. The Kiwi by itself too bright IME. With the gauze, it can be quite ballsy, while staying very clear.

This gauze trick works nicely with many overly-bright condensers.

This idea originates BTW with Barry Hufker in a post on PSW: PSW Recording Forums: Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab => Mojave MA-200 Mod?. He deserves credit for sharing such a simple but helpful idea!
Old 20th February 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

TM-1 Pearlman. Call Dave - tell him what you want - and then he will build it to suit your voice. I don't think anyone else does that for less money.

If you want a fat rich vocal, an AEA R84 will also do that.
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

TLM49 all the way. I put it on a singer and his voice sounded fantastic in it. A very nice airy quality, and it really made the voice thick. You can check out some of the recordings here: Ronald Payne Uvfmusic.com
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
TM-1 Pearlman. Call Dave - tell him what you want - and then he will build it to suit your voice. I don't think anyone else does that for less money.

If you want a fat rich vocal, an AEA R84 will also do that.
Actually Ben Sneesby also does that and he actually makes the capsules for Dave. And he's really cheap and the mics are amazing imho
Old 25th February 2009
Gear Addict

My TLM49 is one of my warmest sounding mic. It has least "air". My BLUE Blueberry is my brightest mic. It exagerates all breath and airy components. If You want this, and want details, go for it, it is less expensive than a Kiwi and sounds better, imho. But everything depends on the other gear used as well. You wouldn't want to hear a BLUE mic via a Mackie 1604! Try a warmer, more character pre, perhaps a Chandler Germ, and perhaps a slightly more coloured comp, like LA2A or MC77. TLM49 sounds great via the Purple Audio Pants pre and Tube Tech CL1B with a tiny bit of presence boosted by Avedis E27! ...
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

I find the TLM 49 very underrated. I use it with a BAE 1272 or John Hardy M1 and am very happy with it for male vocals. I have a chance to try it next week with a UA 6176 so I will be looking forward to that. It's not a spectacular mic but I find it a good general use mic for vocals.
Old 25th February 2009
Jai guru deva om

t-hiho nailed it, the Blueberry seems to be the sound you are describing. That is an airy, silky sound.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search