The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Would B&W Nautilus 802 be a substantial upgrade from Matrix 801 S3 ?
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Would B&W Nautilus 802 be a substantial upgrade from Matrix 801 S3 ?

Just saw an opportunity to buy used Nautilus 802 for OK price. Could those with more experience with these speakers suggest whether or not this could be a substantial upgrade from my Matrix 801 S3 in the category of studio/mastering speakers ? From what I already heard from others, seems rather not ...
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Head

Save your money and get the 803D's or 802D's when you can. I have the 803D's, amazing depth and clarity! Or if you really want to spoil yourself the 800D's are exceptional.
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmspl View Post
Or if you really want to spoil yourself the 800D's are exceptional.
I would love to ... Unfortunately, an exceptional amount of "spoilers" is needed for that)
Old 19th February 2009
Rebuilding the crossovers may give better results.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Rebuilding the crossovers may give better results.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Yes, I have been thinking about North Creek Crossovers for very long time. They are quite costly, but the results may be worth it ... Fred Forssell recently installed these crossovers and he seems to be very happy about the new sound ...

Are these the only products of its kind or are there more options for 801 S3 ?
Old 19th February 2009
Deleted User
We love our old 802s and get the results we want.

I do hear that the 802D is a serious piece of kit, I'm not allowing myself to demo them or the 800D. Now that's self discipline!

Out of interest is anyone using the flagship Nautilus speakers?
Old 19th February 2009
Deleted User
Also FWIW perhaps obviously; choice of Amplification makes a huge difference!
Old 19th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Yes, I have been thinking about North Creek Crossovers for very long time. They are quite costly, but the results may be worth it ... Fred Forssell recently installed these crossovers and he seems to be very happy about the new sound ...
Are these the only products of its kind or are there more options for 801 S3 ?
You can do that or do better by DIY. There are amazing passive parts out there. You will pay for them but save the difference on labor.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You can do that or do better by DIY. There are amazing passive parts out there. You will pay for them but save the difference on labor.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I openly admit that the top of my technical abilities is to change the bulb/tube or to use a screwdriver. So the idea that I would assemble some crossovers is a pure science fiction heh Unless there are some schemes how to do it and the parts are available. Then, of course, I could approach some more skillful person around here ... The Northcreek crossovers cost $2100 which is a lot ...
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Ahojky,

the matrix 801 are very good speakers that already belong to the classic pieces of hi-end reproduction.
But the newer 802D are out of this world. Unfortunately they also require heavyweight artillery partners, in the likes of mono Levinson, Classe...etc, raising the little craving to the €20k mark or more.

Ivo, which amps are your matrix set with? The older 802s are more detailed than the matrix 801, but as you have an exquisite palate you might not be totally satisfied with them (if you ever listen to the newer 802D), after all, how many pres did you try before settling for the forsells?
I dont recall any audiophile shop in Praha, but you can just cross the border anytime and get an audition the 802Ds in some shop.
On second thought, better don't, unless you have 12k ready to burn.
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Head

Pure magic

Eventually I would like to get a pair of HTM2D's for nearfields with a Classe CA-2200

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search