The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question for owners of the Antelope 10M Atomic Clock Digital Converters
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Head

Question for owners of the Antelope 10M Atomic Clock

I currently use the Isochrone OCX in my setup and love it, but recently was at a demo for the 10M + Trinity and was completely blown away at how much the clock opened things up, breathed new life and space into the tracks. It was jaw dropping. A huge step above the OCX.

My question is...if you were to run a mix out of the box, to simply do a 10M-clocked A/D - D/A conversion, does the Antelope impart it's magic to the re-recorded tracks? For instance: mix from DAW > DA16x > AD16x > DAW...clocked by 10M. If you a/b'd the two mixes (the unclocked and clocked) on a playback system not hooked up to the Antelope, can you hear it working?
Old 18th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabelius View Post
My question is...if you were to run a mix out of the box, to simply do a 10M-clocked A/D - D/A conversion, does the Antelope impart it's magic to the re-recorded tracks? For instance: mix from DAW > DA16x > AD16x > DAW...clocked by 10M. If you a/b'd the two mixes (the unclocked and clocked) on a playback system not hooked up to the Antelope, can you hear it working?
Yes. I did. It clearly makes the converters sound "different", and thus the results translate. I find its mostly about the way your analog equipment reacts to the change. It all spills down hill from your DAC, to your gear; and then back through clocked [or not clocked] ADC.
Old 21st February 2009
Lives for gear
On that note, are the rubidium 10mhz frequency standards basically the same as the antelope 10m?

Like this guy:

Efratom MRT-H Rubidium Frequency Standard 10Mhz etc. - eBay (item 300269761869 end time Feb-26-09 14:39:38 PST)

certainly a whole lot cheaper. I don't have an OCX yet, but it's probably an experiment worth trying. I've seen a couple cesium beam standards on fleabay as well. Who knows what kind of shape their in, but when it comes to atomic clocks cesium is certainly sluttier than rubidium hahaha.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search