The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1 or 2*12 Guitar Cab for Studio?
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 or 2*12 Guitar Cab for Studio?

Anyone have any strong feelings on which is better for studio....a single speaker in a cab (like a 12") or multiple, such as a 2*12 or even 4*12?

I understand why live it's nice to have choices, but in the studio with a mic right up against the speaker I'm still a bit thick on why people would want to use something with more than one speaker.

The MESA offers many cab types for the head I just ordered, and since it's only for recording in the studio, I was thinking that maybe just ordering their 1*12 cab would be fine....

Thanks
Tom
Old 18th February 2009
Ngr
Gear Maniac

as long as you are close miking, it does not matter how many speakers you have in a cab. it's crucial what speakers it's loaded with!
different story if you choose to mike the cab and not the speaker...
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Hi, I think that one speaker in the studio is ample. Don't forget you can use several mics on just one lone speaker with FANTASTIC results! I will often use two dynamic mics (SM-57/Senn 421) on one speaker and a condenser when I want to add room sound.

Personally I have a custom built cabnet made by Bob Burt that houses two different 10 inch speakers and two different 12's...(Blue Dog & Silver Bells - alnico mags.)

What's more is I have a full swithing system on the cab that gives me a ton of tonal shapes and allows me to play in full of half power, or any combo of speakers, so I can really taylor the sound!

But to give you an interesting take on my own expierience with all the choices that I have at my desposal....I often find that the cab sounds best (when recording) with just one speaker (most often A 12'.)

Hope this helps you!

Sorry for the bad spelling...I am on a puter w/no check!
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Check out the Avatar G212H cabinet with one Alnico Blue and one G12H30. Two remarkably different sounding speakers in one cabinet, choice of open or closed back, with better than decent construction.

Good workhorse, and will give you a few options.
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Nut

2x12 is the ideal recording cabinet. for heavy music 1x12 doesn´t deliver enough "woomph"! 4x12 does often too much! the size of the housing matters...
Old 18th February 2009
I use a 8" open back in the Champ, a 12" open back in the '66 Deluxe Reverb, I have Thiel 1x12's, 2x12's and a massive Basson Sound 4x12. I use all of them. I have JBL E120's, Eminence M-12's, V1528's, V128's etc. All are used here.

Live, the 4x12 is too much for most places, the 2x12 is too much for most places, a 1x12 cranked is just about right if placed on a bar stool behind me so my body can absorb some spl's and that also gives me all the feedback I need. I use a 120 watt speaker in that cab.The 80 watt modified Deluxe Reverb is also great for medium sized joints, it's so small I never get blaimed for being too loud.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Jim- what speaker do you have in your 66 Deluxe? I have a 78 Deluxe and I've been considering a speaker change. I'm looking for a good clean tone.

I thinlk the size of your recording room can influence your choices. In my smaller room, a lower volume semms to work best for me. I use

78 Deluxe Reverb
Hot Rod Deluxe (main live amp)
82 Mesa Boogie Mark III Simul class
64 Bassman into a 2X12 cab

Playing Teles, a Strat, a Newman and a 335 knock off.

Usually the bassman is the 1st choice for recording.
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Addict

+1 Avatar

I got an open back 2x12 with a G12H30 and a Vintage 30. I had them wire it in stereo so I could use one or the other or both. I usually mic both speakers and decide which tone I prefer or a blend.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear
I've been liking my 2x12 mesa cab. Like someone said, enough oomph for heavy stuff without being over-the-top. Works better for a small room too.
Old 18th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
Jim- what speaker do you have in your 66 Deluxe? I have a 78 Deluxe and I've been considering a speaker change. I'm looking for a good clean tone.
I have a Eminence M12 in the Deluxe. It's no longer made, replaced by the V128. Rated 120 watts it matched well with the dual 6550 powered Deluxe with 100 watt transformers. The Deluxe is extensivly modified, no verb or vibrato, tube loop, JCM800 Normal channel circuits, master volume (need that) but still looks brand new and stock from the front. It's a loud mouthed sneeky bastard.
For the alnico or Jensen sound (piercing top end) use the V1528 at 75 watts. I have 3 of those, I'll sell you one for $25, you pay shipping.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Private Room View Post
2x12 is the ideal recording cabinet. for heavy music 1x12 doesn´t deliver enough "woomph"! 4x12 does often too much! the size of the housing matters...
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jval View Post
I've been liking my 2x12 mesa cab. Like someone said, enough oomph for heavy stuff without being over-the-top. Works better for a small room too.
Is that a Rectifier 2*12 cab you are using?

Thanks
Tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search