The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to align a Telefunken M15A?
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

How to align a Telefunken M15A?

It's currently aligned to LGR50 tape, and I would like to use 468... Is the alignment something I could do myself, or I should I rather go to someone who knows what he's doing?
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

You can learn and really don't need any special tools, but a test tape is good to have if you touch the playback side.

Martin
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Call someone from a tonstudio and ask them to teach you how to do it. You do need some special test equipment. They will probably bring the gear with them and show you.

Call Akzent Audio in Karlsruhe or Tonstudio van Geest in Sandhausen.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
You do need some special test equipment.
Not really necessary to buy anything if you already have a studio... A CD player or laptop will work fine as a tone generator, and you can use very accurate level metering in your DAW. Even the azimuth setting could easily be done with a phase monitoring plugin, especially of you sample a 96k or higher. There's also freeware FFT analyzers if you want to set the bias by looking at the distortion components.

Martin
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry, but having a distortion analyzer, oscilloscope and a tone generator is the right way to do it. to check your work an Audio Precision test rig is also good. Sorry, I've been doing it for years. Sure you might assemble software but why. . .?
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, but having a distortion analyzer, oscilloscope and a tone generator is the right way to do it.
Using software + a decent sound card gives an excellent low noise, low distortion tone generator for the purpose. You can even do sweeps to check the frequency response.

Likewise, you need to spend a lot of money to get a hardware audio distortion analyzer with the same resolution as a software one (again hooked up with you pro quality sound card).

The oscilloscope is great for azimuth, but not the only way to do it. Besides, it's not needed for setting the bias only.

Quote:
Sorry, I've been doing it for years.
It used to be exactly as you said, been around long enough to know that.

Quote:
Sure you might assemble software but why. . .?
Good question. Because as I pointed out, it will cost you nothing at best and give the needed results.

It would be insane to buy measuring equipment only to set the bias. Remember we used to do it in the studio using only the tone generator and the meters in the console?

Martin
Old 11th September 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola View Post
Not really necessary to buy anything if you already have a studio... A CD player or laptop will work fine as a tone generator, and you can use very accurate level metering in your DAW. Even the azimuth setting could easily be done with a phase monitoring plugin, especially of you sample a 96k or higher. There's also freeware FFT analyzers if you want to set the bias by looking at the distortion components.

Martin
is there a description somewhere on how to do it with this equipment?
Old 11th September 2014
Gear Addict

Surprised no one has mentioned the need for an MRL tape. All else is useless without.
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Nut

it`s really easy to set the bias and adjust the freq. response, you can measure in the daw as said above, use a plug in or CD as tone generator (or use your console) - and of course you need a reference tape (e.g. a new one from MRL) and the manual to learn the process and the right bias setting for your specific heads and tape-speed... setting azimuth could be done this way too, but I`d recommend once to have a tech in with the real stuff to check and adjust the basics (Azimuth, Gleichlauf, etc.) - once this is done you don`t need to touch that anymore for years with a Telefunken and just need to adjust the bias every now and then
Old 12th September 2014
Here for the gear

request

Quote:
Call someone from a tonstudio and ask them to teach you how to do it. You do need some special test equipment. They will probably bring the gear with them and show you.

Call Akzent Audio in Karlsruhe or Tonstudio van Geest in Sandhausen.

i am happy to hear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search