The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avedis & the L01166 transformer 500 Series Preamps
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Avedis & the L01166 transformer

When designing the MA5 preamp, does anyone know why did Avedis choose Carnhill/St. Ives input transformers, but not output transformers? Did he find the new L01166 unsatisfactory?
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
When designing the MA5 preamp, does anyone know why did Avedis choose Carnhill/St. Ives input transformers, but not output transformers? Did he find the new L01166 unsatisfactory?
I think sending him an email would be your best course of action. He's a busy guy so you may not get an instant reply but there's almost nothing he won't tell you, so give it time and he'll let you know, I'm sure.
As far as I know, he was never satisfied with output transformers that are available today so decided to get Jensen to build him custom transformers to his spec. It's one of the reasons why (another being that he hand builds every single one of his modules) MA5s take longer than most other products to deliver once you put the order in.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
Hi

I happen to know that Avedis has a huge collection of original and recent LO1166's and, like me, he is motivated to produce a unit with the best specs possible.

Why settle for a transformer everybody else uses?

Why not aspire to something better?

heh
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Player1

I thought I remember him telling me that the transformer didn't perform to his satisfaction at the lower 500 series voltage so he designed one with Jensen that would have the same characteristics as the original. I could be wrong but it was something along those lines.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player1 View Post
I thought I remember him telling me that the transformer didn't perform to his satisfaction at the lower 500 series voltage so he designed one with Jensen that would have the same characteristics as the original. I could be wrong but it was something along those lines.
Hi

+/- 15v = 30v = 6 volts more than +24v of Neve circuits

Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Player1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

And that's why your you!!!!!
Thanks
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what that means. Are you saying that 500 series modules have more voltage than Neve modules? Again, sorry for the probably stupid question.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Would a L01166 even fit in the MA5 chassis?
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lird View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what that means. Are you saying that 500 series modules have more voltage than Neve modules? Again, sorry for the probably stupid question.
Hi

Yes, look at the sum I posted... the larger the supply rail, the more headroom as the transistors have further to swing.

So 30v will give more headroom than 24v.

Old 19th February 2009
I know two things:

1) An output transformer from a 1073 (similar to the size of Great River's) wouldn't fit in a single slot.

2) The Lundhal didn't have the sound he wanted. He wanted the Neve sound in the smallest footprint as possible.

And in my opinion, Avedis did just that. *I'm still amazed. That guy's a genius.
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
1) An output transformer from a 1073 (similar to the size of Great River's) wouldn't fit in a single slot.
Are you sure ?
Audio Maintenance Limited Electronic Products

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited
Old 19th February 2009

Quote:
Hi

I happen to know that Avedis has a huge collection of original and recent LO1166's and, like me, he is motivated to produce a unit with the best specs possible.

Why settle for a transformer everybody else uses?

Why not aspire to something better?

heh
Exactly... He was not happy with the Carnhill in this application. So, he decided to design something better and have the best company he could find manufacture it to his specs (Jensen).
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
While those might be carnhill output trannys, they don't appear to be the LO1166 style.

>>>actually, they appear to be carnhill narrow flying lead versions. Do they perform identically?
Old 19th February 2009
500 series nutjob

i have spoke with Avedis and he want a sound, one that was true to his goal.
he simply did not feel the Carnhill was delivering that sound for him.
their is no rule that states any given manufacture has to choose a particular tranny ( at least not that i am aware of ), the choice theirs to make.
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i have spoke with Avedis and he want a sound, one that was true to his goal.
he simply did not feel the Carnhill was delivering that sound for him.
their is no rule that states any given manufacture has to choose a particular tranny ( at least not that i am aware of ), the choice theirs to make.
That's very admirable, especially in this age of shameless clones. Oh well, it's really all about the sound anyway... not the label.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search