The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Match a pre for my Royer R121 Por favor hors!
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

Match a pre for my Royer R121 Por favor hors!

Hey,

I had a baby on the weekend, about 6 pounds 7 ounces. It hurt, both physically and financially however welcoming my new bueatiful shiny healthy r121 to the mic family is an exciting addition. This is my first decent mic i'm afraid, the last year has been spent on rooms and computers, soundcards, converters.... the drab necessties. I'm now in the market for a pre. Great river, chandler, Api, RN Portico..... I know my pres, I don't think i could go wrong with any of those but i want to make my decision prymarily with the Royer and guitar tracking in mind. I'll be using 57, Royer r121, and a Md-421 for my guitar sound. So who would kindly like to have first wack at the dead horse ????

Cool as ,
Bloodz
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

You must be crazy if you don't give the Chandler TG2 a try.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

For guit amps I've been using a Royer R-121 > API and loving the results. I'll eventually prolly pick up a Chandler TG-2 after hearing all the kudos it gets.
Old 5th July 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

api3124 with royer 121 and sm57
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

Chandler LTD-1
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

Tg2 for flava (and a boot load of gain) or think about the Buzz pre's. My 4038's love them.

Tom thumbsup
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

my royer 121 and portico 5012 have fallen in love. i can't get them seperated.

best,
rlnyc
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Chandler TG-2 is where it's at. Period.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

Listen,

If i go chandler, is it geard more towards heavily distorted guitars? I record alot of acoustic instraments, particulary acoustic guitars. The chandler wouldn't leave anything to be desired in this department now would it? I wouldn't stand for it if it did. I'd smash it with bricks and the dfegad . Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme.

Thanks for your time, it's the only true currency left in this world.

cool as,
bloodz
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've had great results with my 121, 57's and 421's on guitars through a Manley dual mono, CS Flamingo, 2022 and most recently an AMS Neve 1073DPD.
There's a couple of different flavors for you.
Old 5th July 2005
Great River NV has got to be one of the best, if not the best, guitar amp mic preamp I've ever heard. Perfect amount of coloration and midrange softening in that application. Ribbons on guitar amps require about 30-35 db of gain, this isn't hard for any professional preamp, so it really depends on what sound you are going for.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

here's another thumbs up for the Great River.

si
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've done clean and distorted guitars with the TG2 and it shined amazingly. Haven't tried the acoustic thing yet. I don't see why it wouldn't sound good unless maybe you wanted an ultra clean sound, then i'd reach for my.. oh wait all my pre's are heavily colored. But if I had a hardy, buzz, or millenia then I guess it'd be one of those.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

The JM-130 990 op amp Pre would be a good choice, your going to need more gain and a pre with low noise at higher gain.
And considering that the 990 op amp can drive a low impedance load, down to 150 ohms with no negative effect on performance such as a couple of 1176's, it would have no problem with driving mutiple inputs. That is a real world configuration that an IC could not handle.
WWW.jmkaudio.com
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
Great River NV has got to be one of the best, if not the best, guitar amp mic preamp I've ever heard. Perfect amount of coloration and midrange softening in that application. Ribbons on guitar amps require about 30-35 db of gain, this isn't hard for any professional preamp, so it really depends on what sound you are going for.

So if you were in my position you would reach for the GR before the chandler? Have you had the chance to A/B both? I know the GR would manage acoustic tracks very well, my only reservation at this point.

Bloodz.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I tried a GR-NV / R121 combo a few months a go and loved it. Bought the NV on the spot and have the Royer (actually decided on the SF1) on my 'To Do' list.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas
I tried a GR-NV / R121 combo a few months a go and loved it. Bought the NV on the spot and have the Royer (actually decided on the SF1) on my 'To Do' list.

Who did you pick up the GR from if you don't mind me asking? If you feel like disclosing the price you paid for it, I'd appreciate it although it is somwhat intrusive. I'm hesitant ordering online after being sent refurbished gear that was supposed to be new. I want to ensure it's as new as possible.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

My combo is r-121, sm57, both pluggd into my telefunken V672. Give Oliver a ring at tab ami funkenwerk he is a genius. OH BTW the sound is awsome!!!!!!! thumbsup
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

all i gotta say is.....
GT vipre.
a bit more money.
a lot more versatile.
and gobs and gobs of vibe and mojo.
loves ribbons and anything else that gets plugged into it.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

i have used a millennia media HV3 for the past few years, but when i first purchased my pair of R-121s, they recommended the little sonosax portable SX-M2 preamp to me - http://www.sonosax.com/index2.html - it is a consummate straight wire with gain, and gives 70dB of gain. dave royer told me that was the preamp they use in their testing lab. an excellent pro-quality unit for under $1000 for two channels - they also make a single channel model.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone like GML with the 121 for dist guitars?
Old 13th August 2005

We use a 121>TG Channel & 57>Trident for guitars. I've used the TG2 with the Royer on guitars and it seemed too dark, I like the channel better because you can boost some highs.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

What about an ADesigns MP2-R?
Old 13th August 2005
Lou Judson
Millenia Media makes a high gain version of the HV-3 preamp if you need more gain... very clean and quiet, not a colored type of pre.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

121 into Daking here does the trick very nicely

Jo
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Studio Electronics Pre2 - its a 1272 with Sowter transformers. Little known gem.

And Averill 312s of course!

Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Congrats on the new addition(s).

Taking a quick look at suggestions I noticed:

Chandler TG-2
Chandler LTD-1
API
Buzz
Portico 5012
Cranesong Flamingo
Avalon 2022
AMS Neve 1073 dpd
Great River NV
Telefunken V672
GT Vipre
Millennia HV3
Trident
Daking
SE Pre2
Averill 312s

I hope this has narrowed down your decision a bit. LOL!

Good luck.
Old 13th August 2005
There is only one

i love my TG2 with the R121 in the middle of the speaker... but as soon as i take delivery of the GRNV, it will be the first thing i try with it.... well, drums might come first.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

If you a only doing electric guitars, I'd have to echo the Chandler. Match made in heaven.

If you are doing more than just guitars, the MP-2r is awesome on horns. Apperently they've got a new version that addresses the microphonic issues with the tube, which were [i]never[/n] an issue for me (I don't track with my monitors on top of the mic pre). I recently used the Pacifica with the 122 and actually had to keep the pad on. It does a really great job on Marshall amps. Fizzy like poprocks & alkaseltzer. I chose the Flamingo in fat mode without iron on a Mesa cab and the MP-2 on an Orange head with a Yamaha cab. I used to always use a 122 and a 57 combo on guitarand IBP the 2, but the last couple times I've cut guitar I haven't needed the 57. I digress.

Start with the Chandler and I doubt you'll look much further.
Old 13th August 2005
I like the Great River NV with the R-121, the Daking for a little brighter sound, and, one that hasn't been mentioned, the Focusrite Red, which I think is magical and bright with the R-121. I haven't tried the Chandler.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search