The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Massive Passive Tips Equalisers (HW)
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Yes it has. And it's been on countless hits. It's not a flavor of the week.
I love this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Massive Passive Tips-hqdefault.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase Shift View Post
quick question. by unbalanced in outs are you referring to the jack i/o? cause the manual states that they can receive a balanced signal as well. so what do you do? short pin3 to ground? do the jack i/o bypass the transformers or are they just parallel to the xlrs?
i just use trs in and out here. the idea is to simply bypass transformers.
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
i just use trs in and out here. the idea is to simply bypass transformers.
so you are not using it unbalanced ( since the manual states that the jack inputs are, in fact, balanced.

you are saying that the jack i/o bypasses the transformers and has some sort of active balancing circuit, right?

alex
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

one pair of outputs is transformer balanced. the other pair bypasses the transformers and outputs unbalanced. some people really prefer the unbalanced output for various reasons
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Crank the gain up and leave the eq off. Nice tube gain. Make sure to calibrate the outputs for mix buss duties.
Old 26th July 2013
anyone know where I can buy lit up eq bypass switches kinda like in the massive passive? My massive passive looks amazing at night!! The eq bypass switches I got on my telefunken eqs are intermittent,and it's the second time I change them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 26th July 2013
These concepts work with the UAD Manley Massive Passive
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

MP is a great box. The boost/cut pultec thing works great for bass, kick and even some guitars. Because of the great mid range, it can be just the ticket for fat snare sounds. I don't know why anyone would say the low end is loose or flubby. I find it punchy while adding some thickness -just as it should be.

I do find the high end, if boosted too much can have a sort of artificial sheen. For modest boosts it's fine. If something really needs a bit of work on the high end, I generally go my Sontec, Medici or Altec 9061's.
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear
Come on guys. More MP tips please!!! The thread starter is wanting settings for certain applications.
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Come on guys. More MP tips please!!! The thread starter is wanting settings for certain applications.
Ummm.......hmmmm......let me see....
I've got it!
They're really good. Everyone should have one.
There we go! Is that what you meant?
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear
Gain & EQ settings.
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

These threads blow my mind. Someone is buying $5,000 EQ and wants tips on howto use it lol.
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
These threads blow my mind. Someone is buying $5,000 EQ and wants tips on howto use it lol.
I have had a MP since 2001 and because it is such a deep EQ with so many options, I always welcome any "tips" that anyone might be willing to share.

I see nothing odd about this!
Old 27th July 2013
Lives for gear

The box is insanely good. Sometimes I listen to what I have dialed in and am amazed. Then I look at the settings and they are so extreme I am stunned.

Very lush.

Tip: chain one side into the other or plug it in further down your chain for double the fun. It is very hard to overdo it with this box.
Old 28th July 2013
My tubes are in need to be changed, should I just get the kit from Manley or does anyone recommend a diff set of tubes from their MP?
Old 28th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
I have had a MP since 2001 and because it is such a deep EQ with so many options, I always welcome any "tips" that anyone might be willing to share.

I second that! Had mine for 9 yrs now and still learn new tricks!
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

yeah any tube experiences here?

mine need to get changed. i primarily use it for mix buss.
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post

It's a funny box. You really need to study the curves to understand what it's doing. Even then, juggling 4+2 of them per channel can complex pretty quickly.
Old 29th July 2013
Yup! What I did at first Is run a vocal,bass,Kik,full mix through it and patched in waves analyzer to fully understand its curves. But it's still a box of surprises!
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
Crank the gain up and leave the eq off. Nice tube gain. Make sure to calibrate the outputs for mix buss duties.
The gain stage in the MP is transistor-based.
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Where do you get that from? The manual sure indicates that it's not.
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
My tubes are in need to be changed, should I just get the kit from Manley or does anyone recommend a diff set of tubes from their MP?

Get them from Manley. If you give them your serial number they will tell you what you need. That's what I did. I replaced all the tubes in it last year. It sounds so sweet. It did before I replaced the tubes too. Had my Manley for 9 years now and no problems with it whatsoever.
Old 29th July 2013
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm, well since it's a passive eq, what do you suppose the tubes are doing?
Old 29th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Get them from Manley. If you give them your serial number they will tell you what you need. That's what I did. I replaced all the tubes in it last year. It sounds so sweet. It did before I replaced the tubes too. Had my Manley for 9 years now and no problems with it whatsoever.
Thanx fellow gear brother!
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Where do you get that from? The manual sure indicates that it's not.
From the manual:
"We use an exceptional op-amp/discrete circuit for the input buffer
in order to drive the 150 ohm (worst case) EQ circuit. Not an
appropriate place for tubes".

I also remember Thethrillfactor stating this but don't find the post. It's years back. Anyone seen him around BTW?
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
From the manual:
"We use an exceptional op-amp/discrete circuit for the input buffer
in order to drive the 150 ohm (worst case) EQ circuit. Not an
appropriate place for tubes".

I also remember Thethrillfactor stating this but don't find the post. It's years back. Anyone seen him around BTW?
That would be the only place in the circuit, and just to terminate the input. Make-up gain is all tube.
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Thanx fellow gear brother!
You are most welcome.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Head

Wow! Old thread.

I bumped into a damn fine setting in Massive Passive. Just have to share it.

I had this problematic rock song that I had to master. Didn't get the big sounding bass guitar and buried drums quite right.

Dunno if this is some known magic setting, but worked for me.

Set lowest band to 100 bell, mode boost 12 o'clock (as a starting point).

Set the second lowest band to 180 bell, mode cut 12 o'clock (also as a starting point).

On both bands experiment with the gain controls and the freq width band. Between 12 o'clock and max seems to work nice on freq width. This creates these dips that clean up the sound.

Managed to get nice isolated bass sound and cleaner low mids. The whole thing felt somehow cleaner.

best,
-- Derrickson

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search