The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suggested Male Vox Mic?
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

I cant believe I overlooked something so simple to effect my signal chain. Oh well moving forward. I'd say they sound close however I still like the Peluso 22 251 the best for my voice (not that I am any good . I just tried a MXL V 69 Mogomi edition (borrowed it from my brother-in-law) and was very impressed as well. I know this is the High end forum so sorry to mention the other mics hear but I can hear a differences but they are not all earth shattering. Maybe because I am using a Lavry Blue AD & the Great River Pre. Could this help decent mics sound great? Guess it can't hurt. Even though my Chinese mic do not qualify for High end I think I could make use of them at different points in time. And not to mention if I want to try something different than my new "go to mic" (the Peluso 22 251) I will have options for different applications & songs. Variety is a good thing.
Joe
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I would think the greatr river will make any mic sound better
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the lowdown, Soundtrack. It seems differences in audio are often subtler than we'd like to think, but alas, that it the case much of the time. Encouraging for those with more limited budgets, to know that it's not the gear that is the limiting factor. If one can afford an upgrade, then a subtle difference may make it worth the expenditure. The pleasure of listening to music is often about nuances, which cumulatively have a noticeable impact.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

thebo, I am just starting to get into some High end type gear. Not that I claim to be a great engineer however I made alot of great recordings 15 years ago on alot less quality gear. I am finding out that some of the differences are subtle and then I question if it is really worth it. But to me even if I hear a small difference it is worth it. There is no doubt there is lower priced gear out there that does the job quite well, BTW I just helped my Brother-in-law (Drummer) put together a small studio based on MOTU 2408 (used off ebay), X 2 ADA8000 Ultragains, MXL 603s, MXL V69 Mogomi, Audix D6 & Shure SM 57's to track in his rehearsal room. None of the converters, pres & mics qualify as High End but we just recorded some test tracks and were blown away how it sounded. Oh yeah the best part for all the computers, software, mics, headphones & cables we spent less than $3K. Almost to good to be true. I said to him I spent more that that on an ADAT when they first came out (I think they were $3,200). And IMO this set up far surpasses the sound quality of the ADATs .
Joe
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have a soundeluxe u-195 and find it way too bright for any singer that gets put in front of it.

I got a 414 b-uls and had it modded by Jim Williams, and that sounds excellent. It came to around $700 total, making it cheaper than the soundeluxe.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos
I have a soundeluxe u-195 and find it way too bright for any singer that gets put in front of it.

what pre(s)? i got a u99 and it definitely likes more old school circuits. on things like millenia or anything 'modern' it's too tizzly.

1db down on a 12k shelf and it gets downright 47'ish.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos

I got a 414 b-uls and had it modded by Jim Williams, and that sounds excellent. It came to around $700 total, making it cheaper than the soundeluxe.
Hey Thermos, I'm thinking about having Jim do my 414's as well. How would you describe the difference in sound between a modded and unmodded 414? Do you think the mod was worth it? I've loved the mod's Jim has done on some of my other gear.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Gefell MT 71S
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I just received the Peluso 22 47 and took it for a test run. This is my signal chain:

Avalon AD2022 --> E-MU 1212m sound card

So far, it sounds like it was advertised, very nice warm mids to upper mids, clear lows, and the highs are clear also. Seems pretty smooth sounding, but not sure if it is as smooth as my AT4033 mic, but I need to test is some more.

I will post a song or two when I have the chance to this weekend, just me and the guitar, so you can really hear what it sounds like.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

SE 2200A

The SE 2200A just got a very favorable review in TapeOp.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Best bang for the buck for a Male Rock vocal track?

Shure SM-7

Sennheiser 441 or 409

EV 666

For a Lg Diaphram Condenser mic I love my Lomo 19A19.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ubik
on my old crappy averill 1272 clone (crappy to me anyway) the u-195 was even too bright. Now I replaced it with a portico, and now its even a little brighter. That mic is just too brassy for most vox I try it on, you have to brighten everything up just to compete with it.

Albert,
I didn't even hear it pre-mod. But I have heard them before and they are always quite uninspiring. I have used this on some male vox recently (mine and one other slightly darker voice) and it just kills. That through the portico through an old la 3a and I don't need to add or subtract a damn thing. The high end really goes all the way up there, but not in a hypey way like the u-195.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search