The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U87 Anniversary edition worth the extra $$? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Neumann U87 Anniversary edition worth the extra $$?

Dear slutz,

Is the Neumann U87 Anniversary Edition worth it compared to a regular U87?

Appreciate your opinion!

Thanks!!

Marrone
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Head

only if you want the fancy popscreen and the white glove that comes with it. Other than that the case would be cool, but I don't let my mics leave my house
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your opinion!

Anyone care to chime in? Has anyone have the anniversary edition. Is it really limited and are their more differences between the regular one?
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Whatever makes you happy really. For me personally mics are tools and I wouldn't spend more on one just beacuse it looks different or has a few nicer accesories than another mic of similar quality.

I love my u87, 30+ years old with a banged up shock mount but it works great!

Russell
Old 16th February 2009
Well!

I like mine best because its had about 35 anniversaries.heh
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post
Dear slutz,

Is the Neumann U87 Anniversary Edition worth it compared to a regular U87?

Appreciate your opinion!

Thanks!!

Marrone
The mic is polished nickel which looks staggering in real life.

Not to compare with a normal U87... Forgert the gloves they're too small and pretty useless.

The case is excellent and the Beatles style popscreen looks amazing and works (sounds) also great. There's no better Beatles style popscreen out there.

The embroidered dust cover is also pretty nice.

To me it was worth the dough but it's up to you if you want to spend on those features.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your opinions!

Staggering? Is that negative or positive? Do you mean it looks nicer that a regular u87 because of its polished nickel or not so nice?

Furthermore, do you mean that the custom pop filter changes the sound in a positive way and thus there is a small (in/significant) difference in sound between the anniversary and regular u87?

Marrone
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for your opinions!

Staggering? Is that negative or positive? Do you mean it looks nicer that a regular u87 because of its polished nickel or not so nice?

Staggering = e.g. breathtaking! Very positive...

The polished nickel looks wonderful! Soft and shiny... (the opposite would be chrome). Polished nickel looks soft like gold does...

Quote:
Furthermore, do you mean that the custom pop filter changes the sound in a positive way and thus there is a small (in/significant) difference in sound between the anniversary and regular u87?
Every popscreen colors the sound a bit... This one sounds pretty neutral (which is good) and is also polished nickel. But it's more the "1960's Beatles feel and the look" what you'll love about. The sound is certainly no buying decision. It's a normal sounding U87.

It's a U87 for people who love aesthetic.
It is also collector's item.

However, I fell in love with it.

Ron
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

if the singer performs better due to the pretty look of the mic - than it is worth of course! :-)

if you have the imagination it sounds better due to the pretty look of the mic - in that case consider carefully if you really want to pay more!

just my 2cents
;-)
stefan

the popsrceen is fancy indeed...
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys!! This baby is very nice indeed.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

I bought one as a little treat for myself. I'm intending to swap out the internals with a P48 version u87. Problem is that I already want a second one. It's just damm sexy.
Old 19th February 2009
I heard that the Anniversary Edition sounds shinier than the standard Ai. People these days love the shiny sound, you know, so yeah... it's probably worth it.

P.S. I bought my black dented U87Ai on eBay. It sounds great, and it works hard.
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
I heard that the Anniversary Edition sounds shinier than the standard Ai. People these days love the shiny sound, you know, so yeah... it's probably worth it. ....
hi,
do you have heared this by carrying out a double blindtest, heared it by yourself or heared from someone who heared it? ;-)
I have a problem to believe just rumours like that because I fear this potentially shinier sound is the result of expectations and can not be justified by technical facts.

microphones and psychology is a theme for it's own.

there is an interesting essay from Jörg Wuttke (former development director from Schoeps) who wrote about "microphones between physics and emotion":
http://schoeps.de/D-2004/PDFs/Mikrofonbuch_Kap14.pdf
...unfortunately this article is available in german only on the schoeps website.

sorry to be disillusioning, but I prefer to believe in facts.
and one fact can be that there are singers who perform better in front of a large and pretty looking micropone, indeed.

cheers
stefan
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

I also do not believe that they would make a different sounding U87 for the anniversary edition. Although, it costs about 750 dollars more than a regular u87 so for that big difference in $ they could actually make a better sounding u87 (is that even possible?) heh

Marrone
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

the anniversary edition is for people who need the thrill to own a limited-edition-product or for people who collect rare microphones and expect an enhancement in value after a few years.

i recommend to invest your money in pure gold instead and in a regular U87 to work with.
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
I bought one as a little treat for myself. I'm intending to swap out the internals with a P48 version u87. Problem is that I already want a second one. It's just damm sexy.

I hear ya man... I was checking their website to try and buy just the body. It lookes sweet. I'd also like to have the blue face for the vt-737sp.

heh
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

I think they look GREAT in the presentation box. The windscreen is killer, and IF they ever sell it outside the anniversary set, I bet it'll be $400....

Actually in the case, it looks toooo nice to use!!!!
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

I already have a pretty case. heh

Old 20th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt View Post
I think they look GREAT in the presentation box. The windscreen is killer, and IF they ever sell it outside the anniversary set, I bet it'll be $400....

Actually in the case, it looks toooo nice to use!!!!
I talked to Neumann about this.

They said the Beatles screen will only be a "Limited Editon" for this particular Anniversary U87 set.

They also said that they don't make any money out of these accessories.

It's just in the product line for customer service.

The Bealtes pop-screen looks flawless.
I also have the Violet screen for the U47. It's nice but not up to snuff to the Neumann pop-screen.
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Never say never.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wheeler View Post
I talked to Neumann about this.

They said the Beatles screen will only be a "Limited Editon" for this particular Anniversary U87 set.

They also said that they don't make any money out of these accessories.

It's just in the product line for customer service.

The Bealtes pop-screen looks flawless.
I also have the Violet screen for the U47. It's nice but not up to snuff to the Neumann pop-screen.
Old 9th May 2010
Here for the gear

it is not worth the extra bucks.

i'd never buy that again. i have it here, and the regular u87 is better in my opinion. all that shining and nickel is nice for some, a showpony, but it just doesn't work as smooth. screwing it onto the shockmount is a pain in the ass by now, it's stuck, and makes all kinds of squealing noises why you do it. i could probably put some sort of lubrication on it, but hey, the regular u87 never needed that, and that's the point here. it's something to look at, not to work with it seems. sure, the case is nice, but the wooden box works just fine and is actually accessible faster, you need 2 hands to get the anniversary edition out of the case because they put those ******** velcro fasteners on it. it just sounds the same, why pay extra bucks for ass-pain? they're better spent on a dominatrix or something like that, if you're into it. so i say: **** the anniversary edition.

p.s. if you want a mic to look at and have a bigger penis, get a golden lawson l47mp, costs only 2 g's, sounds like a mother****er on vocals and ac. bass, (combined with the right amp that is, if the amp gives much color, you're screwed) and looks like a million bucks.

hope the buyers here aren't offended by my words, it just seems to me that neumann didn't really think about what they were doing there, which explains the white gloves for midgets as well haha
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

If you want to buy Neumann mics for investment purposes, if history is any guide, you would be much better off buying selected vintage models (like a U67 from the 60's, an M49, or even a KM84) than you would buying newly made "collectable" models. The same thing is true with guitars. The vintage models from Gibson and Fender will likely go up more than current reissues of those same guitars.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I also do not believe that they would make a different sounding U87 for the anniversary edition. Although, it costs about 750 dollars more than a regular u87 so for that big difference in $ they could actually make a better sounding u87 (is that even possible?) heh

Marrone

Or maybe they should start thinking about bringing out the U97
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

A Gold 70th Anniversary Edition u87 just sold for $6500 on eBay! I guess the price is going up. It is a beautiful mic. Probably the most gorgeous mic I've ever seen. I'd love to own one someday but 6k is to rich for me. But I can still drool over pics of it. (less than 300 ever made, this mic was released in 1998) DROOL!!!!!

Last edited by SharpKillerCable; 17th January 2015 at 09:38 PM..
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

And according to Neumann only 100 were ever sold in North and South America, making them even more scarce around here and scattered across the globe. Anyone on GS got a Gold u87 Anniversary and would like to share pics? Please post here on this thread so I can drool over them. Thanks!

Last edited by SharpKillerCable; 17th January 2015 at 09:41 PM..
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Addict

Of course the downside of the gold mic is that you cannot spot the color in the sound field.

I'm not going to start bashing their marketing practices again.

If someone likes the AI then get an AI. The box itself, white gloves etc, are the equivalent to adding a racing stripe on a car. it does little to add performance.

The old 87's going back say 30 years would be my anniversary edition of choice, if you wanted to go in that direction I'd vote for well maintained and serviced 87's from the early 80's.

There are so many great mics to choose from out there.

Play, explore, and enjoy.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

I guess there are three things on sale, in relation to the Anniversary Edition U87:

• Sound/functionality
• Appearance
• Prestige

The addition of the pop-screen is arguably the only difference wrt the first selling point (as compared to any other recent model U87ai). If you add a reasonable quality pop screen (from Violet or anyone else...) to a stock U87ai, any sonic advantages would presumably be hard to detect.

So it mostly comes down to whether you like the look of it, and whether appearance or whatever prestige you think it has, is a factor (and if so, how much of a factor) in your decision. No one else can decide this for you.

Personally, I'm more interested in putting money into sound than bling. But there are definitely commercial situations in which bling may serve a purpose of sorts (albeit not exactly a *sonic* purpose). I.e. I doubt it genuinely makes anyone sing better (than they would worth a stock '87, for instance) - but the idea that it might has to be worth something, right?
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post
A Gold 70th Anniversary Edition u87 just sold for $6500 on eBay! I guess the price is going up. It is a beautiful mic. Probably the most gorgeous mic I've ever seen. I'd love to own one someday but 6k is to rich for me. But I can still drool over pics of it. (less than 300 ever made, this mic was released in 1998) DROOL!!!!!

Considering you could buy close to THREE used u87s for that price, I think its hilarious!

As well as hideous. Eye of the beholder I guess!
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
I guess there are three things on sale, in relation to the Anniversary Edition U87:

• Sound/functionality
• Appearance
• Prestige

The addition of the pop-screen is arguably the only difference wrt the first selling point (as compared to any other recent model U87ai). If you add a reasonable quality pop screen (from Violet or anyone else...) to a stock U87ai, any sonic advantages would presumably be hard to detect.

So it mostly comes down to whether you like the look of it, and whether appearance or whatever prestige you think it has, is a factor (and if so, how much of a factor) in your decision. No one else can decide this for you.

Personally, I'm more interested in putting money into sound than bling. But there are definitely commercial situations in which bling may serve a purpose of sorts (albeit not exactly a *sonic* purpose). I.e. I doubt it genuinely makes anyone sing better (than they would worth a stock '87, for instance) - but the idea that it might has to be worth something, right?
The gold plating on the grille could influence the sound as a top mic Tech Gunter Wagner once told me how the grille's mesh material can influence the sound. He said how he makes special trips to Germany looking for the old u47 mesh material that is no longer made and is quite scare. The material according to him is quite important and he does hear a difference on the u47 mics he works on depending on the mesh material.

Many people don't realize this, they think the mesh/grille material and what coats it doesn't matter, or couldn't possibly change the sound but it actually does. Gold plating of it most likely does change the sound, and the shiny gold has different sonic properties than the a matte nickel finish . But recordings I've heard using the Gold u87 from a studio in Canada are some of the best vocals I've ever heard. I think you should try the Gold u87 before criticizing it, that is of course if you can find one. It might be one of the rarest mics ever made by Neumann.

Last edited by SharpKillerCable; 19th January 2015 at 02:30 AM..
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post

auction link please. if only for ridicule, because you can gold plate a u87 for much cheaper than that. i.e. like manley..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search