The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Polygram compress/limiter Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Polygram compress/limiter

Does anyone got any experience using this device,
from what i have been told it is an SSL 4000 compressor clone,
with DBX 202 VCA's.
I found this sweet compressor somewhere and was hoping if anybody has any info on it.

cheers,
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

and is it better then buying a second hand dbx 160?
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

I have one, it grabs much harder than the SSL4000E-Quad and reacts also more sensitive to low frequencies but it is possible to sidechain the Polygram. There are solder pins at the rear therefor.

If you like you can post a loop and I will compress it for you.

Andreas
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

thanks, i will get right on it, as soon as i get home.
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Nut

I've never found it useful on the mix buss as its quite obvious and aggressive, but its great as a drum sub comp, very solid thumpy low end. Get the stereo model if you can find one thumbsup
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Now i'm only producing electronic trip-hop music, with the use of drum computers, workstations and analogue and virtual analogue synths, i think i could use some agressive warmth. But what are you're oppinions on it?

And would it be good on vocals?

And what do you mean with a "grabbing" compressor?
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

here is a loop of drums coming from a korg er mkII recorded through a yamaha 01v96 into Ardour daw (linux) using a RME HDSP9652 audiocard and ADAT.
Attached Files

drums.wav (3.43 MB, 143 views)

Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

and here is a sample of something I played on a Korg DW6000, with the same recording chain as above.

So Andreas if you would be so kind to run these samples through your Polygram compressor and post the results, that would be great..

thanks!

p.s. these samples are 16 bit 48khz wav samples
Attached Files

synth.wav (3.43 MB, 221 views)

Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Hi toulcit,

I will be tomorrow in the studio and post the results then.
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Maniac

thank you, i'm already looking forward to it!
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

So here are the files, I hope it helps.

Andreas
Attached Files
File Type: aif Synth Poly.aif (2.64 MB, 143 views) File Type: aif Drums Poly .aif (2.62 MB, 166 views)
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Maniac

thanks andreas, i found the keyboard to have a more round sound, and darker sound, and in the drums sample the bass sits better in the moer solid low.

But i listened to it on a headphone at work, so when i get home i will listen to it in the studio.

Thank you for doin this so quickly..
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Maybe you could run some dynamic samples trough the compressor and post them wet/dry, well if you have some unused samples laying around that is.

thanks,
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Okey, here is an audiosnip which I think shows the character of the polygram quite well. I used the shortest attack- and the shortest releasetime, ratio 2:1, max gainreduction... dunno about 4db-6db (this 80th led gainreduction meter is pretty unprecise). The polygram has a small sweetspot imo, once you get out of it it gets pumpin and agressive, so for very dynamic material it wouldn't be my choice. Definitely check one if you can, I know guys who don't like it because it's not a set it and forget it piece, you have to adjust it carefully and work with it a bit harder. On the other hand if done right it sounds really nice.

Andreas
Attached Files

with_Poly.m4a (1.01 MB, 212 views)

without_Poly.m4a (1.01 MB, 203 views)

Old 18th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Wow, awesome comparison between the two, an amazing diffirence between the two. I'm shocked that the only thing that you did was place a compressor through the signal. I can't wait to get this piece of gear this saturday.

Thanks again for all your support and work..

You seem like the only guy on the forum too know about this machine but seem very pleased with it.

btw, what are those buttons on teh right of the machine with eq and stuff?
I'm only used to normal compressors before.
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Don't worry it's a pretty basic compressor. You mean probably the three switches on the right side? Switch one and two is for left and right. The positions are in, out and key. Key means triggert by the sidechain-input. The third switch is for the dual mono- or stereo-mode. In my example above I used the dual mono-mode.

When you try the Polygram you will get the best result when you kind of prepare your mix for the compressor. Bring it in at an early stage of the process, perhaps when you have the drums together, search for the loudest drum 'n bass part and adjust it maybe with the setting I used, so that the leds barely light at the beginnig. You might use a limiter, (I used the L2) after the compressor. The limiter acts just as a protection, not to archive loudness! I'm taking here about betwin 0.5dB to under 2dB on the loudest hits. The reason for this is that even with the shortest attack time the Polgram will let slip some huge spikes or spiky transients through. So in fact headroom-wise your mix will becomes quiter when you use a 2 buss compressor in general. I think very less people are aware of this fact.

This btw is one reason why I don't use 2 buss compression anymore and nearly no compressors on elements in the mix. I use it on vocals for an up front sound but others than that only if an element really needs it.

Okey enough of my rant, now I wish you a lot of fun on Saturday with your new toy :-)

Andreas
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

that's a lot of very usefull information, i will have to write that down when i get home. Since i'm new to sidechaining and stuff:D
I acn't do the things at home as you do in the studio since i don't have a LA-2, to be honest this is the first compressor i buy for my setup.
So i will use it on vocals, drumcomputers, and synth lines, and later on guitars, drums, bass the works actually. Maybe later i will be a dbx 160a or portico when i get the money. So i can have more variations.

My new setup will be ( in a month or so) : A Yamaha PM-1000 (1974) preamp/ eq with a yamaha 01v96 mixer (onboard eq's comps and effects, spx2000), the polygram compressor, a kaosspad entrancer and a zoom rfx-2000. And i have to buy a 400 euro neumann mic :D

First i will track my drumcomputer clean through the mixer, plus my bass synth lines, a bassline from my microx, and 4 lines from my prophecy synth.

Then the panning stage.

Then i will individually compress each track with the polygram untill it sounds right, ofcourse i will compress basslines with other settings then a synth line.. ah well. And for variations i can also use the onboard compressors, which are usefull for their function alone, not their sound.

Then i will eq them individually with my PM-1000, and maybe some build-in eq's from the 01v96

Then some reverb and fx work.
When that's finished well yeah some fader work.
After that then i render them all too two tracks en start the mastering stage.
I have read that for the mastering stage it is best too use a multiband compressor and eq and a limiter.

So my plan was basically too route those two tracks through a multiband compressor ( an effect in the yammie ) and after that through a self made 30 bands digital eq ( build inside the 01v96 thanks too routing tricks, basically just 10 stacked 3 bands eq's with )

An ofcourse put them in the polygram so i can use that thing as a limiter

Well that's basically it, i got time on my hands, so no deadlines here, so enough time to experiment with settings as i like to get the best results, but i'm open for suggestions. I'm never too ol to learn haha.

And don't get me started on room acoustics, since i basically do this in my bedroom, i know, i know. I will have to fix that too.

Damn my obsession for expensive audio stuff.. hahah

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search