The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Confused about which preamps I should buy... Channel Strips
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

Confused about which preamps I should buy...

I think a Tl-audio m1 12 channel will be a good bet...but then I am confused about other speciality ones for voice especially...suggestions from experiences pls...I am thinking about tube-tech channel strip...or neve 1073dpa....ot thermionic culture rooster
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

How many channels do you need? Do you want to be able to mix on it? Do you already have decent conversion? (Something like the Neve DPD or the API A2D would kill two birds with one stone and bring up the overall sound) Do you need a channel strip with eq and/or compression or do you just need pres? What kind of budget are we talking about?

I have used the TL Audio Tubetracker and while good for the money it is not on a par with say the Tubetech or Neve in terms of sound (nor could you expect it to be considering the price difference per channel).
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

So it's better to buy let's say 4 portico 5012 than the m1?? Will there be that much of a difference???
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

I found the M1 to sound fine, but I wouldn't consider it to be in the same league as some of the other stuff you mentioned (nor could it really be expected to be looking the price).

It depends on what your needs are. If I needed to track a full band (say drums, 2 x guitar, bass and vocals) and needed 12 pres (as well as monitoring and mixing capabilities) and also had only limited funds the M1 would be a good call. If, however, I was going to be doing just one or two tracks at a time (and I didn't need monitoring etc.) a couple of good quality channel strips would better serve my needs for the same money.

Answer the questions I asked in my first post and people will then be probably better able to help you.
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

TLaudio is decent, but totally mid grade decent.those pres always seem to run out of headroom. if you want a great vocal channel,then a TT MEC or buzz Audio ARC would be worth considering but both are pricey
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Totally vague question...

What do you want to record

How many channels at a time

What style of music

etc etc
Old 16th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiogear View Post
I think a Tl-audio m1 12 channel will be a good bet...but then I am confused about other speciality ones for voice especially...suggestions from experiences pls...I am thinking about tube-tech channel strip...or neve 1073dpa....ot thermionic culture rooster
Other than the TL unit, What do YOU think? What are you looking for?

I would suggest the Great River MP2NV. The Rooster is a wonderfully cool unit! There is NOTHING else out there like it. Except for other Thermionic equipment. No Matter WHAT your doing, the Great River will rule all over the place.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

I need a basic set-up with a HIGH-END channel strip for vocal tracking, bass, guitars etc...then another couple of preamps for when I need drums etc which have to be good as well obviously...
Old 16th February 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

Check out Lynn Fuston's mic pre CDS at 3daudioinc.com.

Anyway, I bought the mic pre CD and it really helped me a lot. A small investment on a CD carefully prepared, that can save hundreds if not thousands of dollars on purchasing decisions.

Other than that, you need a large balance on a credit card and try out a bunch or some other arrangement.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

What is you budget? What do you have in terms of mics and converters? They also count for something.

In terms of channel strips there are any one of a number of really excellent ones out there. Try and demo a few. Lynn Fuston's CD would also probably be a good idea. I have a Neve 8801 which I am very happy with. Others will probably chime in and make equally good (if not better) suggestions. I would definitely recommend that you try and get something with a compressor. I find that EQs in the box can work well, whereas compression in the box (if you are really trying to bring a signal under control) is not so easy to achieve.

In terms of reccording drums I know the 4-channel Daking units are considered to be excellent bang for the buck. One of those could be quite good. An API 3124+ could also be cool. Either one of those together with your channel strip of choice and you would have 5 channels of good pre (should be plenty to do a decent drum recording).
Old 16th February 2009
Quote:
I need a basic set-up with a HIGH-END channel strip for vocal tracking, bass, guitars etc...then another couple of preamps for when I need drums etc which have to be good as well obviously...
Empirical Labs EL9 Mike-E Mic Pre/COMP/SAT
API 7600
DW Fearn VT15
Pendulum Quartet 2 Mercenary Edition
GML 2020

4 Banger Preamps

API 3124+
NPNG QNW
John Hardy M1
GML 8304

Pick your poison!
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Nut

I have a 003 I'm looking to sell, LOL.
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Addict

that el-9 looks interesting!! how do you rate it?
Old 17th February 2009
Quote:
that el-9 looks interesting!! how do you rate it?
It Rates @ a 9 and it becomes a 10 when you patch the LilFREQ after the compressor.

The Compressor can MAGICALLY soften the top octaves and SLOW the transient response of the pre, so its really capable of many different tonalities. Its incredibly musical to push the Comp/SAT into some thickness, and any of you guys searching for girth and body with your SM7B and other Dynamics and Ribbons for vocals will INSTANTLY be pleased by the gain staging between the Mic amp with Lundahl input transformer, and the Comp/SAT with Wet/Dry.
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Addict

so shall one buy 8 of these??
Old 17th February 2009
Quote:
so shall one buy 8 of these??
For a REALLY well rounded tracking package

I would go with a pair of EL9 Mike-E's or X1 Great River MP2NV

X1 4 Channel NPNG

X1 DW Fearn VT15

But that would be me, and what I like using.
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Addict

In a tapeop review of the tlaudio m4 console...the reviewer said that the preamps and eq sounded HUGE and compared really well against his neves, summit etc...And he was really skeptical about it before he even started testing it........And overall it gets really good reviews...
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Addict

Well I a/bd the mic pres on an M1 with a Daking 52270 and a Neve 8801 and these two units were a step up from the M1 in terms of sound IMHO.

Did the M1 sound bad? No. Would it prevent you from making a good sounding recording? No.

It really depends on what your budget is. If you feel you would benefit from having 12 channels and need mixing monitoring capabilities then the M1 would be a good idea. If you mostly record only one track at a time and don't need mixing/monitoring, one good strip would serve you a lot better.

Demo some stuff and see for yourself.
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Thats one hell of a leap... Going from not understanding preamps relativity, nor HEARING/USING the ones you want to buy... then dropping 5 grand? Im sure some posts will fix everything...

Man, what the hell is going on with recording! Thats why when you are READY to buy a 5000 dollar multi channel preamp, your prior experience will guide you...

Seriously this is insane! You mention no mics, but want that magic bullet preamp...

Stop posting and start renting! If you can't rent then buy from a place that allows returns... If you are a serious buyer, that should not pose a problem. Using the item in question really helps in deciding if its the right tool...

If you are in a country/location where that can't happen, I admit thats completely different. Otherwise...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search