The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Lawson L47MP has arrived!
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Lawson L47MP has arrived!

Well... after about 4 weeks of waiting and tooooo much duty and taxes, the mic is finally here!

I havn't had a chance to test it on our vocalist yet but my first impressions are good. I plugged it into the Langevin DVC and tossed the Taylor 410 in front of it and I even warbled a few notes.

To be fair this is my first highend(ish) chain but right off the hop I was impressed with how 'real' my voice and guitar sounded. I understand a bit more now what all the fuss is about.

Previously I had struggled with some lowend Joe meek stuff and a Rode K2. While this setup was 'ok' I could never get the Taylor to stop sounding like a tin can. The Lawson and DVC just seems so solid in comparison. I don't know how else to describe it. There isn't alot of fake high end or prox effect and it seems to absorbe the dynamics of my playing without sounding like it's all over the place.

I can't wait to hear our female singer through this and test some more when we get the room finished up ( a story for another thread).
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Brent, glad to hear the DVC is workin' out for you

I'll bet that a huge reason why the Lawson+DVC combo sounds better on your taylor than the K2 would be the improved off-axis response. That, plus those Rode mics tend to have lots of extra sizzle, but in a 'buzzy' sort of way, your Meek preamp may have compensated for the K2 a little bit, but I could imagine the smoother L47 + the cleaner DVC would be like lifting a veil off the signal.

I find acoustic guitar is one of those instruments where some harmonics from the top of the guitar can be really directional, and mics with weird off axis responses can aggrivate that effect and generate some artificial sounding high frequency ringing on top of the notes. The lawson sounds like it'd be really cool for acoustic guitar, pop it up in a sweet spot (usually near the neck/body joint for my tastes), and dial in the pattern width until it sounds right.

Have fun with your new toys!

Cheers,

Kris
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

Put it right by where the neck meets the body in OMNI.

Very nice acoustic sound.

(you can put it closer than you think in omni)

(and patch in a Distressor)
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Not to hijack the thread, but what' the distressor trick? I've got one, but never thought to try it on acoustic guitars (mostly I use it on snare and bass). In fact I don't think I ever compress acoustic guitars....

Is this for strummy guitars, to keep it as more of a percussive element? Or is it more for solo acoustics?

Cheers,

Kris
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter
Hi Brent, glad to hear the DVC is workin' out for you

I'll bet that a huge reason why the Lawson+DVC combo sounds better on your taylor than the K2 would be the improved off-axis response. That, plus those Rode mics tend to have lots of extra sizzle, but in a 'buzzy' sort of way, your Meek preamp may have compensated for the K2 a little bit, but I could imagine the smoother L47 + the cleaner DVC would be like lifting a veil off the signal.

I find acoustic guitar is one of those instruments where some harmonics from the top of the guitar can be really directional, and mics with weird off axis responses can aggrivate that effect and generate some artificial sounding high frequency ringing on top of the notes. The lawson sounds like it'd be really cool for acoustic guitar, pop it up in a sweet spot (usually near the neck/body joint for my tastes), and dial in the pattern width until it sounds right.

Have fun with your new toys!

Cheers,

Kris

Hey Kris,

The DVC seems to be working great. Thanks for that smooth purchase btw. If you want I can swing by with the mic sometime soon and we can do some shootouts for kicks.

I think you're dead on about the K2. It was this forever nightmare trying to find a sweetspot. If you moved ever so slightly things changed dramatically.. I even tried different patterns, distances in all the classic sweet spots with 'ok' results but I would have to EQ large amounts bass out and there was always that overtone of 'tin'on the higher strings.

Last night I couldn't even find a bad spot for the Lawson. Even aiming the mic directly into the soundhole sounded half decent ( of course there was substantially more low end :P) and it just seemed to handle the frequency spectrum of the Taylor for evenly

We did indeed start looking for another tube mic for Violet our singer, after experiencing the 'sizzle' of the Rode K2. Perhaps a tube change may have solved this issue like I've heard from some others but there was just something 'off' about that mic on just about anything I put in front of it. To be fair though I havn't put the Lawson through the ThreeQ from meek. Perhaps the preamp had a large play into some of the sound.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Sure Brent, sounds good to me....PM me when you want to set up a time. I can swing by with my Shoeps sphere mic ( you just have to see/hear this thing to beleive just how amazing it is), and I'll bring my U87ai, AT4060, and RCA77D to audition on your singer.

Cheers,

Kris

PS: I don't know that a tube change on the Rode would do too much, it's probably the capsule that's the biggest limiting factor.
Old 4th July 2005

Brent,

That's good to hear, it was a exciting time when I got my first good chain going; U87>LTD-1, I flipped out! Previously I had a Rode NTK and an Octopre.:(:(:( The Octopre is total ass. Good luck.

James
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
Brent,

That's good to hear, it was a exciting time when I got my first good chain going; U87>LTD-1, I flipped out! Previously I had a Rode NTK and an Octopre.:(:(:( The Octopre is total ass. Good luck.

James
I hear ya. Going halfway and then having something decent in front of me only made me regret not dropping the cash sooner!

I would really like to add a great river, some SDC's and a ribbon to the rep as soon as possible. I think I might build one of those Hamptone tube pre's as well.... Now to find some cash

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search