The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Female VOX - suggestions appreciated
Old 16th February 2009
Female VOX - suggestions appreciated

I have a female bluegrass singer. Her register is pretty high, color is not overly bright nor dark (a lot of mid-range energy in the 500hz - 900hz area), and pretty subdued as far as low frequencies go. I don't WANT to say that she sounds like a little boy when recorded, but that might give you an idea. Please don't get me wrong however, she is an excellent, talented, musician and strong singer.

Trouble I have with her is getting a good deep resonance and air on top. I have been her vocal coach for several years, so I know there's not much room for manipulation on her part to change this.

Where would you start? Here's what I've got that might work:

Mics: U87, AEA R84, KSM44
Pres: Vintech (1073), ADL 600 tube, AEA pre

I've heard her through a Sony 800G - it was interesting to say the least. Made her sound like a little boy.

I've recorded her through U87 and Vintech. Maybe I should just add some of the Vintech's EQ?

Let me know what yall think.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict
hey Dan.
I'm no authority.
but how about trying a Shure KSM9???
Old 16th February 2009
Hey Chasman! Good to hear from ya.

Don't have a KSM9 to try, sorry.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

KSM44 into the Vintech... I would def try that.
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDan View Post

Trouble I have with her is getting a good deep resonance and air on top. I have been her vocal coach for several years, so I know there's not much room for manipulation on her part to change this.

Where would you start? Here's what I've got that might work:

Mics: U87, AEA R84, KSM44
Pres: Vintech (1073), ADL 600 tube, AEA pre
I am no expert by any means either, but I have experimented a lot with a few mics on female vocalists. I think the ksm44 at 15cm might be good -- from the frequency curve, you get a significant low end boost there from proximity effect. I would think an AT4047 might sound good on her too, at 10cm distance. It's frequency curve has a slightly boosted high end (which is very smooth) and lots of low end if you get close enough.

How close was the U87 when you tried it? Was there something about that sound did you not like?
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Don't forget the m49

The M49, and its just-as-cool clone, the Soundeluxe e49 are great for those high register female singers. I also use the r84 on women like that but it will need some eq and a great pre to do justice. In the classical world, some people will use an sdc on a soprano - try a schoeps with mk21 capsule. ted.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Nut

I was wrestling with something very similar to what you have described here. What finally worked for me --- I gave up trying to cover it up ( the little boy sound ) and just went with it. I selected all "no color" components -- like reference stuff. clear as glass.
That sound i *think you are talking about is not going to let itself be hidden behind EQs and all that ... just let it out and produce the music around it ....

give it a try.
--John
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTide View Post
I have a Shure Model 51 (an actual working vintage one).
Wow!
Which pre are you using with it?
Old 17th February 2009
87 is dummy-proof (just ad a bit of highs, that's all), but truthfully, why don't you just set up a few of them, keep them out for each song, and let you and her ears decide?

That's always the best decision. How can we possibly advise you better without being in the same room and hearing her with our own ears?

Brad
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Since I got my R84, I haven't had a female singer who didn't sound good on it. I still opt for an LDC occasionally, but the R84 is sweet. And, interestingly, I generally prefer the cleanest path with that mic. I thought it would be killer with my GTQC, but I actually find that pre, as well as my 312A, a little too aggressive on most stuff. For bluegrass, I'd think you would want the retro sound of the R84, and if it were me, I'd probably opt for your AEA preamp and add EQ later.
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Try tracking with the KSM44 and the R84 at the same time and blending them to taste.
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Charter Oak 538 mics work beautifulllllll on female vox
Nice air, solid bottom, no harsh mids

Works nice with a Neve pre

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search