The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1073 clones on drums Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Nut

1073 clones on drums

What are the general sonic differences between the Great River MP-2NV, Vintech 73 models, and the Brent Avril 1073s on drums?

Thanks,

Jeff Braun
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Head

I've used the Brent Averill, Vintechs, actual vintage Neve, Chandler. I've never used the Wunder Audio stuff.

I've found its about headroom. All the clones can get tone right with the right gain stage into the preamp-EQ.

For transient heavy drums I've found the Snare under mic preamp on a Vintech to be great, but the only drawback is the headroom and ultimate output. You need to compress and make fatter at some point.

The Chandler gear is incredible for headroom and output gain but needs to be Eq's in the box. In order for it to sit right.

Getting a decent Neve pre and using parallel comp/eq recording with other boxes gives you everything. I've had great luck with Vintechs, SSL, API, Chandler and Distressor in parallel. Specifically the Chandler TG1, SSL superanalogue, Vintech x73i, API 3124 and Distressor ELX-8 mod.

Could go on for days about this...then talk about using plugins to get the tone, compression when you don't have the outboard...so many options to get it right....
Old 15th February 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Braun View Post
What are the general sonic differences between the Great River MP-2NV, Vintech 73 models, and the Brent Avril 1073s
What is the general length of a piece of string?

The Great River is not a "clone" by any stretch of the imagination... it is however an excellent tool for drums [and most other things].

Peace.
Old 15th February 2009
Also, @ sloanlogic - the Wunder's aren't Neve clones either. Not even close. Different EQ points, no filters, and most importantly, a considerably different tonality.
Old 19th February 2009
Just get a few MA5's and you'll be happy. They can be huge sounding, but they're just controlled enough.
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Guru

i use the averills along side the old ones all the time.geek tech hair splitting aside-interchangable
had the vintech 473 4 ch deal and it sounded smaller than the real deals.sold it

the GR is great..a bit different texture

you'll get more variation outta different mics and placement than agonizing over the variant sonics of neve clones or whatever

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search