The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverbs: differences Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 13th February 2009
Reverbs: differences

Hello fellow sluts!

OK, so Im pretty new to high-end gear. I heard the Dreamverb from the UAD card last week, and was pretty much blown away... I use Breverb for most of my needs, as it sounds very natural (comparing to other softverbs ive tried). But the Dreamverb had an edge that sounded sooo good, clean but sharp! Definetively not a reverb Id put on anything, and not necessarily for emulating real reverbs, but more for an fx kind of sound.

How does the more costy hardware verbs (2000E < ) compare? Are they mostly accurate room-emulations, or more effect-kind, or both? Whats the lowest price-class you would consider hw-verbs from? What priceclass marks the difference from soft to hardware ?

I guess there is no substitute for not listening yourself, but what are your thoughts?

Lotsa love!
Old 13th February 2009
Gear Addict

I was new to higher end reverbs also until recently. I had Vss3 and The UAD Plate 140 with a lexicon MPX-1 along with Convolution (gotta have good IRs to be good). They each had their place and I would put them all at the same level of quality. Dreamverb doesn't sound so good to my ears but could be useful for a special effect.

Then I bought a PCM60. Wow! what a difference. Width and space. Then I bought a PCM70 and that brought it up another notch. I also bought a PCM90 which is nice but not quite at the level of the PCM70 buit more versatile.

I am about to take the plunge into even higher end reverb (Bricasti or PCM96).

Dean
Old 14th February 2009
Thanks for the reply!

I guess Ill have to bring some wavesamples to the local distributors to check the lexicons out

Hoping to hear from you when you have tried the PCM91 ,)
Old 14th February 2009
And, if I may ask, what would you say the difference is between Lexicon verbs and Eventide?
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

IMO the difference between a great reverb and a bad reverb is the density and tail.
If you listen to a great reverb, as the reverb trails out, if it breaks up and you can hear the decay... that's a bad reverb.

But if you listen to the reverb and you can hear a smooth trail (of the tail end of the reverb), then it's usually really good quality.

A lot of reverbs tend to break up and you can actually almost hear a saw tooth type wave effect at the end of the reverb trail.
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
IMO the difference between a great reverb and a bad reverb is the density and tail.
If you listen to a great reverb, as the reverb trails out, if it breaks up and you can hear the decay... that's a bad reverb.

But if you listen to the reverb and you can hear a smooth trail (of the tail end of the reverb), then it's usually really good quality.

A lot of reverbs tend to break up and you can actually almost hear a saw tooth type wave effect at the end of the reverb trail.
Hello Mr Shepperd,
Would you name some of those you consider good reverbs? It would be nice.
Old 15th February 2009
Thanks for the input
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Hello Mr Shepperd,
Would you name some of those you consider good reverbs? It would be nice.

Hardware reverbs.
AMS RMX 16
Lexicon 480L
Lexicon 300
EMT 140
EMT 250

Software Reverbs:
Breverb
Revibe
TL Space

Some portion or combinations of these are really great. Especially on vocals.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

Lexicon 480L or an AMS RMX 16...

Scroll down for Thrill's reverb hall of fame.

Quote:
I would put the top 10 digital reverb hall of fame like this (again my own opinion):

1) EMT250

2) Lexicon 480L

3) AMS RMX16

4) Quantec QRS

5) Eventide SP 2016

6) Lexicon 224XL

7) TC M5000

8) Roland R-880

9) PCM 70

10) a tie between KT780 and Sony DPS V-77(R7)

Honorable mention goes to Yamaha Rev1(rev 5 and rev7), EMT 251 the Ursa Major Space station, Yamaha SPX90(990 as well), Eventide H3000,Alesis Midiverb and Sony DRE-S77.

The TC M6000 is a little too new.
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Hardware reverbs.
AMS RMX 16
Lexicon 480L
Lexicon 300
EMT 140
EMT 250

Software Reverbs:
Breverb
Revibe
TL Space

Some portion or combinations of these are really great. Especially on vocals.
Thanks very much.
Old 20th February 2009
I have to say the M7 is my favorite verb. worth a listen for sure
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Something in a lower price bracket but equally as deep as any hardware verb is the demeter RV-1 real spring reverb.

I got one recently and love what it can add. Just like any great reverb you would mix it almost to the point of thinking its not there, then try bypassing, its amazing in this context as any real generated reverb should be.

I'm a guy who typically can't stand artificial reverb on anything but this can work for me

Russell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search