The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pultec - Pulse Technologies EQP-1A3 versus Mercury EQ-H1 EQ-P1 Equalisers (HW)
Old 13th February 2009
Gear Head

Pultec - Pulse Technologies EQP-1A3 versus Mercury EQ-H1 EQ-P1

Any Pultec opinions? Does anyone even have a Pulse Technology EQ-1A3 yet??? Need to know the comparison between the Pulse and Mercury gear. And I don't want to look at Tube Tech or Amtec or Manley--as I've heard them and not that impressed.

I saw the other thread about the Pulse gear, but there's almost no information on gearslutz or the web.

I've been loving what I've read about the Mercury gear, the m72 m76 Pres and the Mercury EQs.

But back to the issue at hand:

What is better (and is that really a fair question)?? Is it worth what Pulse is asking: $3495/each or $6495/pair versus Mercury EQ-1H $1850 and then Mercury EQ-1P $2095...??
Old 14th February 2009
Here for the gear

I don't have any old pultec's so I can't comment on them
but I did get a Mercury EQ-P1.
I added it to my vocal chain while tracking
and all I can say is I don't know how I would ever do without it now.
It's got some serious color/mojo to it.

Just running it through the signal path makes a huge difference
and the sound is very pleasing, honestly.

You might ask why I use it in the chain?
I'm rolling off a bit of bottom and adding a hint of air.
The CM7 has lots of bottom....... you know the routine.

Don't know about the rest but the Mercury EQ is worth
every dollar. Very impressive piece!
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Addict

To the OP, I believe you mean the Pulse Techniques EQP-1A3.

I'm also curious to hear from others. I recently picked up a pair of Mercury EQ-P1s. They sound good, but I'm not sure they're completely doing it for me. Yeah they add something nice to vocals. Yeah they are cool on the mix bus. But I guess I just wonder if I can get a box that adds something nicer than the even the Mercuries.

Right now I am waiting for a demo of the Fearn VT-4 and trying to arrange one for the Pulse Techniques. It would be nice to hear from someone else who has hands-on experience with these units or the Mercuries. I may try to demo the Amtecs too.

So far I have had a hard time getting in touch with the guys at Pulse Techniques because the phone number always goes to an answering machine and they are slow to respond to email. My first call was returned within a day, but I haven't been able to get back in touch over the last 3 weeks about the demo I want to schedule.
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Addict

You didn't say what type(s) of music you will primarily be recording, may be helpful to know. Never used a Pultec, but purchased two Mercury EQ-P1's from Vintage King. Fantastic on the mixbus with my API 2500 compressor for straight-ahead rock-n-roll. Terrific on individual tracks, sometimes even without engaging the EQ, just using the tooobs.

Also my Mercury M66 Compressor was damaged in shipping by UPS, called Dave Marquette, he direct shipped a replacement the same day. Great customer service !

Hope this helps,

Tim Cochran
Old 14th February 2009
The Fearn VT-4 is killer. I put it up against my original Pultec EQP-1A3 and it's likely the only EQ that I've ever heard that I would consider trading a Pultec for. Seriously, it's that good. It's not a Pultec clone, nor does it try to be. But it's got a very similar, equally sweet magic to it. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

You can read all my thoughts about it here, in my EQ Mag review.

A Tale of Two Equalizers
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
purchased two Mercury EQ-P1's from Vintage King.

Also my Mercury M66 Compressor
Tim Cochran
hrrr, drooling, and hating you right now. Exaclly the combo Im saving for. In fact, I wouldnt mind having all the mercury line. Just a bit Off topic, how are you finding the m66? Theres almost no information about it here in GS...

About the eqs, how far can they be pushed? For example, vocals, boosting 8k, can you usually turn the knob half-way through/3/4/ full/ and still sound smooth??
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
The Fearn VT-4 is killer.
A Tale of Two Equalizers
Hi Lynn,

Great review. It looks like the VT-4 is built like a tank !
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Guru

I compared the old EQP1a to the mercs and price aside I still preferred the real ones.
i wanted them to sound right but they didn't
the new EQP1a3's aren't out yet.the demo pair will be going around town.I'm in line
I have 2 Fearns = awesome.they aren't Pultec clones but they are great eq's.
partially thanks to Lynn's comments I tried some and was sold instantlythumbsup
wonderful on the mix buss [at which more than often I prefer them to Pultecs]
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
The Fearn VT-4 is killer. I put it up against my original Pultec EQP-1A3 and it's likely the only EQ that I've ever heard that I would consider trading a Pultec for. Seriously, it's that good. It's not a Pultec clone, nor does it try to be. But it's got a very similar, equally sweet magic to it. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.
I've tried quite a few Pultec soundalikes over the past few years...They all came...and went...Only the Fearns stayed. And while maybe not intended as a Pultec clone, it does bear some resemblance to it. Both in terms of topology and function. But the funny thing, with all the other eq's I tried, I always liked the Pultec better because the clones didn't really nail it. With the Fearns, it doesn't sound like a match either, but I don't care. It gives me what I'm looking for.
On the bus and on vocals I prefer them over the Pultecs. On bass it can be a toss-up, but most of the time I prefer the Fearns (even more so if I'm after a 70's dry, controlled woody tone)...
Old 20th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
the new EQP1a3's aren't out yet.the demo pair will be going around town.I'm in line
Excellent. Looking forward to this review.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search