The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
avedis ma5 - still loving it?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Nut

avedis ma5 - still loving it?

i'm just getting into the 500 series this week (currently picking out my first 6-10 units) and i'm planning to get a few channels of avedis ma5. i'm definitely ordering them either way, just wondering if it's still as highly regarded as it was when it came out? there was such a frenzy of activity, with everyone saying it's as good as, or better than, a 1073. but now it doesn't seem to be mentioned much. are people still into them?

btw- the 500 units i definitely want are:

2 x ma5
2 x anamod 660
2 x derresser

then i'm not sure. i was thinking about adding a channel or two of pacifica (p-1), maybe purple action, i'll need 2 channels of good EQ. i don't know... this whole 500 thing is slutty as hell; i'm sitting here with my wallet in hand, like 15 windows open on my pc, making lists and diagrams and ****.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

It is a really great preamp. I think it is every bit as good as my vintage 1073's. I don't think it sounds better than them. But I can't say the 1073's sound better either, they sound about the same. I've tried some of the other preamps out there that claim to be like a 1073, and I think this is the only one that nails that sound. If you are after that sound, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11th February 2009
I nub mine!
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

no problems here. Still love it. Don't forget the 28k button
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

I think you'll only hear people saying they still love theirs..
I till love mine !
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

I like it. Very open with the 27k button. Really high end stuff.
Useful how it can color or be transparent.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Sold em

I couldn't justify keeping them because my vintech X73is sounded better than the MA5s. The only reason I sold them. If I ever need a neve-ish sounding 500 serie module. Then this or the AML module would be my pick. But I don't. They just didn't sound the same in my A/B test.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

I like them a lot. Incredibly well made. Great sound. Huge head room.
Support is also very good. This is the case for a lot of small manufacturers these days but Avedis really is a top guy.

There are a few respectable people on here that say the MA5's are exactly like 10xx heads and I don't agree with that at all, but they do have very similar characteristics. I actually prefer the MA5s for my production work (the word hi-fi might be taken wrong, but MA5s gives me that impression in comparison to 10xx), so you'll just have to try them yourself.

My opinion of the MA5s vs X73 is pretty much the opposite to DONNX (and I do think it's off topic, seeing as we're talking about 500 series), though the X73(i)'s are very good value considering the added EQ.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post

There are a few respectable people on here that say the MA5's are exactly like 10xx heads and I don't agree with that at all, but they do have very similar characteristics. I actually prefer the MA5s for my production work (the word hi-fi might be taken wrong, but MA5s gives me that impression in comparison to 10xx), so you'll just have to try them yourself.

I found them "hi fi" too compared to the vintechs as well. I think its the custom output jensen transformer that gives it that sonic signature. But don't get me wrong, thats a good thing. It makes it more unique in my book than the other neve cloners.

I respect that it doesn't sound exactly like a neve 10xx module.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

Another thread about what you think of the transformers in the MA5?

The MA5s are insanely amazing. Get as many as you can. I have 4 and love them. I'd also look into the Averill 312a. Love those too.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear
You might be right about them sounding a little different than the new ams 1073's - i.e. better. I thought they sounded pretty spot on to the vintage 1073's I had used. They just sound amazing.
Old 12th February 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Support is also very good. This is the case for a lot of small manufacturers these days but Avedis really is a top guy.
I don't sell Avedis gear (would love to!) but I just wanted to say:

Avedis would choose to walk across fire to help a customer 1% more than he could by taking a train.

War
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

I bought 2 MA5s, sold them even though I thought they were great preamps, I settled for 2 Elixirs instead. Different strokes for different folks, beside the Elixirs comes with the best DI on the market, the MA5 does not come stock with one.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I bought 2 MA5s, sold them even though I thought they were great preamps, I settled for 2 Elixirs instead. Different strokes for different folks, beside the Elixirs comes with the best DI on the market, the MA5 does not come stock with one.
that's so funny, because in all the ma5 back threads that I sifted through, it was you who was the most excited of everyone! haha. you accounted for about 40% of my excitement! i guess we really are just a bunch of sluts, huh?
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Maniac

he didnt say nothing bad about it, said it was "great". im thinkin about picking a avedis myself along with elixir
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves View Post
that's so funny, because in all the ma5 back threads that I sifted through, it was you who was the most excited of everyone! haha. you accounted for about 40% of my excitement! i guess we really are just a bunch of sluts, huh?
Thats correct, I still like them, but I had not discovered buzz audio at that time, also I have open the doors to JLM and I love it as well. In my box are 2 JLMs, 2 512c and 2 Elixirs. Along with a Pacifica that I like better than the P-1
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz View Post
he didnt say nothing about them, said they were "great". im thinkin about picking a avedis myself along with elixir
are you kidding? he said a lot about them. countless posts. i'm talking about back posts, not this one.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Ok wait; really hold up a sec!! This cannotttt be a real MA5 thread; Tony B. is nowhere in here!!! (compliments of Tony B)
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
are you kidding? he said a lot about them. countless posts. i'm talking about back posts, not this one.
AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time They sound the same in a lot of ways as smooth and endless headroom.
1. The MA5 has that great edgy sound just like Neve sould
2. The MA5 is a little Dark and lose on the bottom end.
3. The Elixir has a super tight low end and unreal detail.
4. The Elixir has a top notch DI, MA5 has none.
AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

I am still loving mine.....rsp
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Yes where is TONY !!! The guy sells MA5s , he sold me one.
Tony is a great guy.

Remember I'm entitled to rave on any piece of gear that turns me on and I did fall for the MA5s, If I had the extra $$$ I would have at least one in my rack now, however of the 2 I like the Elixirs better.

Lets get back to the Thread subject, I'm not here trying to sell buzz audio, I just use it.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time They sound the same in a lot of ways as smooth and endless headroom.
1. The MA5 has that great edgy sound just like Neve sould
2. The MA5 is a little Dark and lose on the bottom end.
3. The Elixir has a super tight low end and unreal detail.
4. The Elixir has a top notch DI, MA5 has none.
AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time
i wasn't talking to you, i was responding to Skorch Trakz, who thought i was referring to what you said earlier in THIS thread. He said:

he didnt say nothing about them, said they were "great". im thinkin about picking a avedis myself along with elixir
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Avedis would choose to walk across fire to help a customer 1% more than he could by taking a train.

War
I found this out quick, you are so true war, I had one with the switches not cut out straight and Avedis shipped me another before I could even get the defect back to them, don't get me wrong the unit worked perfect just had a cosmetic defect that somehow slipped out the door by accident. Customer Service is a ACE....
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

avedis is AWESOME

as is all his gear

Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry bro, I meant KEEBEEETSSS ?? my bad.
What I did
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Yes...My MA5 pair is used in every tracking session we do for something or other...
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
What I did
Nothing, its all good, I read Mr Gloves post the wrong way I guess.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

I'll push along the love-fest. Dig my two.

Also have the Vintech and a Great River. They are different, if in the same family.

We have 512cs and BAE 312As for the other "family."

Together, it's a happy marriage of Neve and API stuff.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i wasn't talking to you, i was responding to Skorch Trakz, who thought i was referring to what you said earlier in THIS thread. He said:

i thought u were talkin to allboutone also since you "quoted" him! thats why i said that he didnt say anything bad the unit
Old 12th February 2009
jyc
Gear Addict

Anyone compared the MA5 to the JLM NV500?

Jyc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search