The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
avedis ma5 - still loving it?
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
Anyone compared the MA5 to the JLM NV500?

Jyc.
MA5 has more edge to it and the JLM is smoother sounding. Both good.

nIC
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
If there is no compression (especially on the Elixir clip) then something is broken. Between the 2 clips the MA5 sounded much better to me, but it is tough to tell what is really going on there. Also the mic position didn't seem very close to the source in either clip. Seriously...If there is no compression then there is something seriously wrong, because your dynamic range is getting squashed to hell and something is bringing out the "spit" and creating an envelope. You have to have some sort of heavy compression going on. That's just not how uncompressed dynamic sources sound at all.
Why? It just shows the nice round sound of the Elixirs on the backups. NO compression on backups on either. Mic position was around 3 inches.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

I don't get it. Both preamps sounded great on the clips, LOL. Why are the Ma5 owners so damn aggresive. You guys make Avedis look like a bad guy. The elixirs sounded gorgeous and has that true round analog sound. The Ma5 sounded great but has an edgy, in your face, bright type of sound.
Old 6th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Wiizard View Post
I don't get it. Both preamps sounded great on the clips, LOL. Why are the Ma5 owners so damn aggresive.
I'm not sure why you are so aggressively negative in every Avedis thread lately?
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I'm not sure why you are so aggressively negative in every Avedis thread lately?
It's not me, it's the owners of the Ma5s Tony, don't you see, listen how they down every other preamp in almost every comparison, LOL. How was that comment negative? That clip of the Ma5 showed me that the Ma5 is a great vocal preamp and that sound is what you hear on the radio today. Why do you think I dislike Avedis. I never said anything bad about the guy, but I have said some things about the owners of the Ma5 preamps though and deservingly so. The buzz elixir sounds round, warm, and in your face and the Ma5 sounds edgy, tight, and in your face. The Ma5 has the sound most records have today, especially Hip-Hop records. I prefer a warm, round sound. Then if I need to, I can always add eq to brighten things up. By the way, Tony, I'll be talking to you in the up and coming weeks because I want one of those Ma5s to add to the arsenal. You are demanding sometimes you know that brotherheh. I would hate to have too work with you in the studio, LOL.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The buzz elixir sounds round, warm, and in your face and the Ma5 sounds edgy, tight, and in your face. The Ma5 has the sound most records have today, especially Hip-Hop records. I prefer a warm, round sound.
The MA5 is not round? Not warm? I've never used one, but it's being described as similar to a Neve, which is round and warm. Is it so different that it's lost both characteristics?
Old 6th March 2009
500 series nutjob

if you guys do not have a MA5, what are you basing your views and opinions on?
i think the MA5 drills the nevish vibe, and it so in the way Avedis felt it should, and, yes and, he stuffed it in a 500 format!
awesome!
the "N" word vibe according to Avedis, mine ain't gowin nowhere!!!!!!!
if you want a Neve just get a Neve?
if you guys and or gals want to really know what these sound like, trust me, you will only know when you your self can hear one.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Pan60 - I'm also getting tired of ******bags chiming in with non-info about products they know almost nothing about because they read some stuff or heard some clips. Some people watch ER and think they can perform brain surgery.
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Addict

For what its worth, I've used both. I could record great music with either, or neither, for that matter. There is a RIDICULOUS amount of great gear available in the world today. Getting all worked up about these little, tiny, differences in tonal textures is, quite simply, stupid. Notice any trends here on GS? Like how NO "shootout" is worth a poop. Period. Its just a great beginning to a pissing match every time. The sad thing is that the person who posts the files for said "shootout" is oftentimes just trying to be helpful. I just find myself not finishing reading alot of threads because of this tripe. Now the discussions on mic placement for typical apps, production techniques using different types of equipment, modifications and fix-ups for gear, and discussions about vintage gear are great. More discussions about GEAR and less about SHOOTOUTS. Its gearslutz, still, right? Not Shootout Slutz? . . . . . . . .

end rant.

bw
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubya View Post
For what its worth, I've used both. I could record great music with either, or neither, for that matter. There is a RIDICULOUS amount of great gear available in the world today. Getting all worked up about these little, tiny, differences in tonal textures is, quite simply, stupid. Notice any trends here on GS? Like how NO "shootout" is worth a poop. Period. Its just a great beginning to a pissing match every time. The sad thing is that the person who posts the files for said "shootout" is oftentimes just trying to be helpful. I just find myself not finishing reading alot of threads because of this tripe. Now the discussions on mic placement for typical apps, production techniques using different types of equipment, modifications and fix-ups for gear, and discussions about vintage gear are great. More discussions about GEAR and less about SHOOTOUTS. Its gearslutz, still, right? Not Shootout Slutz? . . . . . . . .

end rant.

bw
Well put.

Would anyone judge a car's performance by a video taken from the driver's seat?
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lird View Post

Would anyone judge a car's performance by a video taken from the driver's seat?
I think Gearslutz proves that in this day and age they just might
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
I think Gearslutz proves that in this day and age they just might
Some would buy based on a written review of that video which was taken from the driver's seat of the car.
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's not me, it's the owners of the Ma5s Tony, don't you see, listen how they down every other preamp in almost every comparison, LOL. How was that comment negative? That clip of the Ma5 showed me that the Ma5 is a great vocal preamp and that sound is what you hear on the radio today. Why do you think I dislike Avedis. I never said anything bad about the guy, but I have said some things about the owners of the Ma5 preamps though and deservingly so. The buzz elixir sounds round, warm, and in your face and the Ma5 sounds edgy, tight, and in your face. The Ma5 has the sound most records have today, especially Hip-Hop records. I prefer a warm, round sound. Then if I need to, I can always add eq to brighten things up. By the way, Tony, I'll be talking to you in the up and coming weeks because I want one of those Ma5s to add to the arsenal. You are demanding sometimes you know that brotherheh. I would hate to have too work with you in the studio, LOL.
I know from experience that Avedis has first class customer service and stands behind there products, I also assume that Buzz does as well, Both preamps are excellent I just happen to like Buzz better for what I do, I can only hope that Avedis and Buzz continue to deliver their great gear in the future because right now its pretty damn good.
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Nut

Avedis service!

Slightly off topic (although I am supposed to get an MA-5 to check out next week, so I'll have more to say about that then...) But I just wanted to add my own personal experience with Avedis.

I bought a couple of vintage 550As on Ebay from BA Enterprises about a year and a half ago. They were early datatronix modules (version with two opamps under a daughter board) loaded with Avedis 1122s. They sounded fabulous, but within a couple weeks of getting the pair, one of them went dead; apprently some badly-repaired broken traces on the pc board in one of the modules kept on causing all kinds of direct and residual problems.

I went through a few rounds of sending the bad module back to BAE where Mark went out of his way to try to get it up and running, all to no avail. Eventually, he decided to pass the module on to Avedis, who proceeded to spend an unreal amount of time and effort getting this thing to work properly. This was all volunteer work on his own time - I couldn't believe the lengths he went to to help out someone who wasn't even one of his customers, not to mention all for an ebay purchase! Just amazing. Eventually, everything got straightened out, and both modules have been in daily use for the past year with no issues (knock on wood...)

But I was totally amazed at both Mark and especially Avedis' time, care, and expertise; both of them were amazingly generous and dedicated and obviously passionate about what they do. It was inspiring, and I'm excited that I'm finally "returning the favor" so to speak by getting at least one (for now) MA5.

Thanks again!
Old 6th March 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstreber View Post
Slightly off topic (although I am supposed to get an MA-5 to check out next week, so I'll have more to say about that then...) But I just wanted to add my own personal experience with Avedis.

I bought a couple of vintage 550As on Ebay from BA Enterprises about a year and a half ago. They were early datatronix modules (version with two opamps under a daughter board) loaded with Avedis 1122s. They sounded fabulous, but within a couple weeks of getting the pair, one of them went dead; apprently some badly-repaired broken traces on the pc board in one of the modules kept on causing all kinds of direct and residual problems.

I went through a few rounds of sending the bad module back to BAE where Mark went out of his way to try to get it up and running, all to no avail. Eventually, he decided to pass the module on to Avedis, who proceeded to spend an unreal amount of time and effort getting this thing to work properly. This was all volunteer work on his own time - I couldn't believe the lengths he went to to help out someone who wasn't even one of his customers, not to mention all for an ebay purchase! Just amazing. Eventually, everything got straightened out, and both modules have been in daily use for the past year with no issues (knock on wood...)

But I was totally amazed at both Mark and especially Avedis' time, care, and expertise; both of them were amazingly generous and dedicated and obviously passionate about what they do. It was inspiring, and I'm excited that I'm finally "returning the favor" so to speak by getting at least one (for now) MA5.

Thanks again!
this is a very very awesome example of what i talk about in my reviews when i say three thing i want to see in a gear choice.

one: customers service, and do i like the guy behind the company.
two: build quality.
three: sound.

and i view these in this order.
if i can not get customer service, then i do not even care how it sounds.
means nothing.
if the build sucks, i do not care how it sounds, as i do not like dealing with headaches and grief.
this dose not mean their is not affordable gear out their, it just means i am not doing junk, or crappy build gear.
and it gear pass within reason on these points, then and only then do i care how it sounds.

and for the record,
Avedis is a awesome guy, and he has proven time and time again his passion for this industry!
he is always going out of his way to help folks.
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Maniac

I thought I would revive this thread since it has been 8 years! So...all you Avedis MA5 users, are you still loving it in 2017? Has anything else won over your ears even more?
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

3 other 500 series preamps later, the MA5 is still my go to for vocals.
rsp
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Yep still loving it. Drums and vocals are still getting lots of use from it. I've said it before, but using an SM& with an MA5 w/28k engaged makes that SM7 sound so good.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cserrano View Post
I thought I would revive this thread since it has been 8 years! So...all you Avedis MA5 users, are you still loving it in 2017? Has anything else won over your ears even more?
I'm selling basically all my studio right now.
The only few items thatI'll keep are MA5 and E27's and shoeps+neumann..

Cheu
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Interesting to hear. I am very impressed the Avedis MA5 still tops the list of 500 pres for some of you. I ordered a pair that will arrive on Wednesday. I look forward to hearing them.
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cserrano View Post
Yep... I'm still using and loving the MA-5s since 2012.
Old 25th July 2017
Absolutely love my MA5s still. Only pres I'll never sell. And I've said that countless times.
I've also said countless times that if he ever builds a console, I would strongly consider buying one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search