The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
avedis ma5 - still loving it?
Old 12th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
Ok wait; really hold up a sec!! This cannotttt be a real MA5 thread; Tony B. is nowhere in here!!! (compliments of Tony B)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Yes where is TONY !!! The guy sells MA5s , he sold me one.
Tony is a great guy.

Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

and everybody thought tony b was on vacation.....
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big65pbass View Post

Well being as though it took him 2days to get here, he had to be... WDUP TONY B!!!!
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

okay, good. we can continue... please sell me on the MA5!!
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz View Post
i thought u were talkin to allboutone also since you "quoted" him! thats why i said that he didnt say anything bad the unit
haha. no prob.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves View Post
okay, good. we can continue... please sell me on the MA5!!
Here you go :

High Profile Audio | Avedis Audio MA5 | 401-316-6423
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

i was planning on buying a bunch of ams-neve 1073s, 1081s and 1084s to compensate for my unreliable, attention-needy vintage modules (no, i'm not selling them, before anyone asks!). however, the ma5 is starting to seem like a more affordable, dare i say better alternative. so many people have said they sound just like their vintage 10xx modules, which, if that's true, will make things a lot easier (and cheaper). if i augment an ma5 with an e27 eq, is that a proper 1073 substitute?
Old 12th February 2009

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
Well being as though it took him 2days to get here, he had to be... WDUP TONY B!!!!

Quote:
if i augment an ma5 with an e27 eq, is that a proper 1073 substitute?
No. It would be better... I mean I really enjoy owning a pair of vintage Marinair equipped 1073's, but I think the EQ is extremely limited. You only have 1 top end frequency choice.... and four choices on the low end.... It's not enough in many situations other than for doing some sweeting here and there.

The E27 has 9 choices per band (27 total frequency choices), and it sounds great. It does not sound like a 1073's EQ, though... In fact, it sounds like no other EQ out there. The top end choices are really cool, and it's just a better all around mix tool.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post

Avedis would choose to walk across fire to help a customer 1% more than he could by taking a train.
Hey War, I got lost somewhere between 1% and train.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Hey War, I got lost somewhere between 1% and train.
Avedis would choose to walk across fire to help a customer 1% more than he could by taking a train.

i think he means.... if they could offer even slightly better customer service by walking across some hypothetical fire, they'd do that even if there was a train over this particular stretch of burning land, which would grant them safe passage to the other side. it's kind of a tortured sentence, hahaha. point taken and info definitely appreciated though
Old 13th February 2009

Guitarman is a known troll here on GS.

Bad karma will come around eventually for this person.

Edit: the referenced post that was above mine has since been deleted.
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

i think he means.... if they could offer even slightly better customer service by walking across some hypothetical fire, they'd do that even if there was a train over this particular stretch of burning land, which would grant them safe passage to the other side. it's kind of a tortured sentence, hahaha. point taken and info definitely appreciated though
Oh, I got it! So that's good, right? heh
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, sounds personal.dfegad

Last edited by mwagener; 13th February 2009 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: removed deleted post quote
Old 13th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Yeah, sounds personal.dfegad
Honest they do have 1st class customer service and sell a great product. That is what your dealer can also help you with.
Old 13th February 2009
jyc
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
Anyone compared the MA5 to the JLM NV500?

Jyc.
no one?
Old 13th February 2009

Quote:
Honest they do have 1st class customer service and sell a great product. That is what your dealer can also help you with.
He was referring to a post made by a troll that has since been permanently deleted by the mod of the forum.
Old 13th February 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:

Wow, just to make sure there's no confusion I meant it in a 100% positive way. Avedis will help a customer above and beyond, that is what I meant to say (in a more poetic way though).

War
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Maniac

The MA5 is an amazing pre. Not that the 1073 is the only great thing in the world, but MA5 does get compared to it a lot. Personally, I've never been able to use them side-by-side, but I'm in the process of trying to find out if spending over $5000 on a vintage Neve module is even worthwhile since I already have an Avedis (which is the topic of my thread; the reason I signed up here). Either way, you can be sure that the sound is beautiful, deep and warm.
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
The MA5 is an amazing pre. Not that the 1073 is the only great thing in the world, but MA5 does get compared to it a lot. Personally, I've never been able to use them side-by-side, but I'm in the process of trying to find out if spending over $5000 on a vintage Neve module is even worthwhile since I already have an Avedis (which is the topic of my thread; the reason I signed up here). Either way, you can be sure that the sound is beautiful, deep and warm.
To answer your question, No...
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Guru

Ok, I'm posting this for a couple GS. This is a sample of the MA5 and a Elixir, not the same artist so no shoot out here.

Track 1. u87+ Elixir on all vocals, lead vocals has a 501 (toggle switch version) post, backups no compression and very little verb.

Track 2. u87+MA5 on all vocals, lead vocals has a 501 (toggle switch version) post, backups have no compression and very little verb
Attached Files

01 Track 01.mp3 (1.14 MB, 530 views)

02 Track 02.mp3 (1.37 MB, 521 views)

Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
avedis ma5 - still loving it?
API's & MA5's
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I'm posting this for a couple GS. This is a sample of the MA5 and a Elixir, not the same artist so no shoot out here.

Track 1. u87+ Elixir on all vocals, lead vocals has a 501 (toggle switch version) post, backups no compression and very little verb.

Track 2. u87+MA5 on all vocals, lead vocals has a 501 (toggle switch version) post, backups have no compression and very little verb
If there is no compression (especially on the Elixir clip) then something is broken. Between the 2 clips the MA5 sounded much better to me, but it is tough to tell what is really going on there. Also the mic position didn't seem very close to the source in either clip. Seriously...If there is no compression then there is something seriously wrong, because your dynamic range is getting squashed to hell and something is bringing out the "spit" and creating an envelope. You have to have some sort of heavy compression going on. That's just not how uncompressed dynamic sources sound at all.
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
If there is no compression (especially on the Elixir clip) then something is broken. Between the 2 clips the MA5 sounded much better to me, but it is tough to tell what is really going on there. Also the mic position didn't seem very close to the source in either clip. Seriously...If there is no compression then there is something seriously wrong, because your dynamic range is getting squashed to hell and something is bringing out the "spit". You have to have some sort of compression going on.
Yes all the lead vocals have post compression (I admit I did smash them a little much..lol), just showing the difference.
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

i know im still loving my ma5s. I like em more very time i use em. Which is always. I have been running my Juno 60 through them with a DI box recently, and they sound great! IN fact, they sound great on pretty much everything. Love em on vocals.Ma5 + e27 with the highs boosted a few DBs in the 12k range is amazing.....
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Wow, the Elixir really sounds great. It has a very well-defined, extremely focused sound. I still think the MA5 is a better pre overall though; the way it just plants itself into a mix with that deep, pronounced presence that I love so well. BTW- I solved my 1073 problem from the other thread. I rented a vintage 1073 and A/B'd it with the MA5, finding them both to be ridiculously similar. Now I'm going to put the money I saved on a 1073 towards some other things. I love the sound of those new Anamod Fairchild 500 comps.
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
Wow, the Elixir really sounds great. It has a very well-defined, extremely focused sound. I still think the MA5 is a better pre overall though; the way it just plants itself into a mix with that deep, pronounced presence that I love so well. BTW- I solved my 1073 problem from the other thread. I rented a vintage 1073 and A/B'd it with the MA5, finding them both to be ridiculously similar. Now I'm going to put the money I saved on a 1073 towards some other things. I love the sound of those new Anamod Fairchild 500 comps.
Get a Retro Sta-Level. Wait 'til you hear that thing paired with an MA5. Glorious.
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Maniac

In the Neve ball park, how does the MA5 compares to the Great River MNV500?
Old 19th February 2009
I don't get the Derresser move. The 660's make sense to me... I'd use them on everything if I had 'em. The MA5's make sense to me: I do use them on just about everything. But I'd rather get some API's or a pair of EQ's instead of the derressers.

Just my two.

And yes, to answer the original question - though I kinda mentioned it already... MA5's = good for the long haul.
Old 19th February 2009
Here for the gear

when i got it i was like, ok i've heard this before...
not that its a bad thing, its sound really really good.....
then came the A\B with GreatRiver 500...

got the MA5 to sound very very close to Great River 500...
golly gee, can you belive that???

gonna sell one or the other to buy a pair!
eventhough id say they are close enough if something doesnt need a PERFECT pair....
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
I don't get the Derresser move. The 660's make sense to me... I'd use them on everything if I had 'em. The MA5's make sense to me: I do use them on just about everything. But I'd rather get some API's or a pair of EQ's instead of the derressers.

Just my two.

And yes, to answer the original question - though I kinda mentioned it already... MA5's = good for the long haul.
I've got two Lil Freq's that I just purchased a few months ago, so I'm set with EQ for now. I'm sure that down the road I'll want a pair for the 500 rack anyway, but until then I'm going to stick to preamps and compressors mostly. Regarding the need for two DerrEssers, I'd like to try them out on some stereo sources (keyboards, mix buss, etc.) They seem to have a few interesting and unique features. I'm not a very by-the-book kind of guy; I really like experimenting with different sounds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search