The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mercury m76 & m72 - Love it or Not?
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Head

Mercury m76 & m72 - Love it or Not?

Any thoughts on these pieces? Are they better than the Universal Audio 610 series?
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

I have an M76 and love it. In fact everyone who sings through it comments on the sound of their voice. I generally use a Wagner 47 with it....
Old 10th February 2009
I'd love somebody to post some samples recorded through the Mercury pres.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

I have no samples, but I previously owned a M72. That was the biggest sellers remorse I've ever had.

As soon as I can afford one, I'm buying it again.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Head

Does anyone know what kind of tubes they use inside the Mercury m76 or m72?
Old 10th February 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

EF86 tubes in the Mercury V72s. I love mine. It is going nowhere.

Killer on vocals and mandolin and anything else where you want smooth color and richness.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Head

Just spoke with Dave Marquette at Mercury. He really knows his stuff and seems like he spent ages getting this unit right. I'm looking forward to trying these out.

What would you guys suggest getting: the m72 or the m76? I know what it says on the website, but I would love some opinions...
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Loving my M72s!!
Old 11th February 2009
So how would you guys with M72's compare them to other tube pres we might be familiar with (like the Vipre or the UA 610)?
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
So how would you guys with M72's compare them to other tube pres we might be familiar with (like the Vipre or the UA 610)?
It's the sound of a V72 which has a unique and very desirable 3D quality to the mids.
Also smoother and warmer than the the UA.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
It's the sound of a V72 which has a unique and very desirable 3D quality to the mids.
Also smoother and warmer than the the UA.
Hey Doug, would you go for the m76 or the m72? I like the fact that the m76 has more tweakable features, but is it necessary (i.e. worth an extra $1000)? I do a lot of DI recording (bass, electric gtr), acoustic gtr and vocals.

BTW Congrats on the Portico Console....looks great in the room.

thx
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanlogic View Post
Hey Doug, would you go for the m76 or the m72? I like the fact that the m76 has more tweakable features, but is it necessary (i.e. worth an extra $1000)? I do a lot of DI recording (bass, electric gtr), acoustic gtr and vocals.

BTW Congrats on the Portico Console....looks great in the room.

thx
I'm sure the m76 sounds just as good. I owned a pair of Telefunken V76s years ago and they weren't that special sounding but in retrospect they must have been out of spec.
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

i have an original siemens v72, the m72 sound exactly the same ????
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Addict

The M72 is one hell of a beast.

I love the following chain;

U47>M72>1176>LA2A (or STA Level)>DAW

The 72 is a real winner. Thick as a brick.

Cheers,
John
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

has anyone compare the MERCURY m72 with SIEMENS v72 ???
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

I have a Mercury M72, wish I had another.

nIC
Old 4th April 2009
Gear Nut

For Vocals I use the m72 with a Wunder M7-GT and I have never been so immediately satisfied with the results.

I find tracking to be more about the performance with the m72 and less about fiddleing with the tone. It has a big overall sound, beautiful mids and a presence I am used to hearing on some of my favourite recordings.

Love it!
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Head
M76!!!!!!!!!

Love to death!!!!

Mercury Recording Equipments Mercury m76m
Old 24th January 2015
High End Moderator

Absolutely love my M72s
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Mercury M72 (mono) and a pair of TAB V78M.

Both are modeled on the famous V72s amplifier module. But they are both so different! The TAB has more variety but the Mercury is just as lovely. Which would I get rid of first? Well, sadly Oliver Archut is no longer with us so I would keep the TAB. He looked after my preamps with great care and love.

But I have both of these V72s tributes for a reason. So a sale is not bloody likely.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnukleHead View Post
For Vocals I use the m72 with a Wunder M7-GT and I have never been so immediately satisfied with the results.

I find tracking to be more about the performance with the m72 and less about fiddleing with the tone. It has a big overall sound, beautiful mids and a presence I am used to hearing on some of my favourite recordings.

Love it!
I have a Wunder CM7 (M7 cap) that's sounds great with the tube path on my Millennia SST-1 - do you think the m72 is a step up from that pre?
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I have a Wunder CM7 (M7 cap) that's sounds great with the tube path on my Millennia SST-1 - do you think the m72 is a step up from that pre?
I've never used the Millennia, but if you are happy with it - I doubt the m72s is going to change what matters most - the performance.

I'm guessing the SST-1 is a little less colored than the m72s, and there are
vocals that benefit from that... wish I had one.
Old 24th January 2015
Quote:

A lot less colored, and very different in general. The Millennia is a sound that really shines on material with quick transient like overheads, piano etc. It has a color, but it's euphonic and subtle. The M72 is one of the most colored preamps around. It helps smooth over the source with its color and round sound. Both are very high end, and are sideways steps from one to the other (to answer thehightenor's question).
Old 24th January 2015
M76 is a thing of beauty. Used it on a couple sessions and man does that thing sound good
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've never used the Millennia, but if you are happy with it - I doubt the m72s is going to change what matters most - the performance.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to add a m72 but keep the STT-1.

The m72 is expensive in the UK though as was the SST-1.
Old 25th January 2015

I have an m72 and love it. We spent a lot of time last week dial in vocal sounds and it is the best sounding pre I own and I have a vintage 1073 and vintage 312. More euphoric. With my Tele u47 and rev F Urei 1176 it sounds so vibey and detailed. Love it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search