The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HELP! Sell a API A2D for a Lynx Aurora 8 or 16?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

HELP! Sell a API A2D for a Lynx Aurora 8 or 16?

Hi all,
I need some help in our studio. We have an API A2D which is awesome, however we need 8 inputs. Should I sell the A2D for 1200-1500 on eBay and fork another 700-800 for an Aurora with the Firewire option? We are currently using Nuendo 4 and have a Quad-core 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD computer which we custom built. So, I want quality to go with quality.

Those who have done AB testing, are the converters the same or better than the API on the Aurora? And are they THAT much better? Second, are the preamps as nice on the Aurora than the API unit? I want to get this studio running and we need to get this squared away before we can move forward with monitors and a DAW. If you have other suggestions of units we can use, please do so.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 9th February 2009
There are no preamps on the Aurora. It is a converter only. My recommendation is to always go with the Aurora16 as it's only a 30% difference in cost over the Aurora8, yet provides you with twice the amount of i/o. Definitely a better deal all around. The Aurora8 an Aurora16 are identical converters and clocks with the only difference being less i/o on the 8.
Old 9th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thkaiser View Post
Hi all,
I need some help in our studio. We have an API A2D which is awesome, however we need 8 inputs. Should I sell the A2D for 1200-1500 on eBay and fork another 700-800 for an Aurora with the Firewire option? We are currently using Nuendo 4 and have a Quad-core 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD computer which we custom built. So, I want quality to go with quality.

Those who have done AB testing, are the converters the same or better than the API on the Aurora? And are they THAT much better? Second, are the preamps as nice on the Aurora than the API unit? I want to get this studio running and we need to get this squared away before we can move forward with monitors and a DAW. If you have other suggestions of units we can use, please do so.

Thanks,
Tom
Right Josh! The Aurora has no Preamplifiers, so its a bit hard to put these choices up against each other. I personally do NOT recommend selling anything that is currently working and kicking a## in your studio.

The Aurora 8 is a great converter, [if you don't need more than 10 inputs here, you don't need an Aurora 16] and with the Fire Wire Card installed its pretty much a turn key solution with any computer. Putting the FW card inside the Unit give you access to added Digital I/O over AES on top of the Aurora AD/DA. This will give you available AES inputs to run the A2D into, thus expanding the channel count and keeping the gear that is working for you. Other questions; do you have other preamplifiers to replace the A2D if it leaves your studio?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks,
This may seem like a stupid question, what should I do to get extra inputs? I have considered getting a RME FF800, and SPDIF the API to get to extra tracks. But, I want the quality of the API and I am unsure of the quality of the RME. Should I sell the API and buy separate preamps then buy the Aurora? How exactly do you input the other preamps into the Aurora?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Other questions; do you have other preamplifiers to repalce the A2D if it leaves your studio?
No, I just have the A2D. I was told by many people when I was buying that it was the best solution for what I was doing at the time, which was Piano and Drum machine. My band mates and I have access to a Protools HD studio, but I really want to be able to track drums effectively with the quality of the API at my studio. We are still far off from having a workable studio for others, but I want to get things squared off with the preamps and converters. Eventually, I want to get a Mixed Logic M24 and some Adam A7's or JBL LSR4326P's. We have been getting by with drums by R/L'ing a Roland V drum kit and having the Snare/Cymbals come through the Right channel and having the Kick/Toms on the Left. I record my Fantom X6 (sequenced) into the API first, then we lay the drums over it. I like the sound of the V Drums, but want to mix everything separately. Overall, I am still new at using Nuendo and recording a whole band, so I just want to make sure the gear is all what I need, then I can teach myself how to use it properly.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 9th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkaiser View Post
Thanks,
This may seem like a stupid question, what should I do to get extra inputs? I have considered getting a RME FF800, and SPDIF the API to get to extra tracks. But, I want the quality of the API and I am unsure of the quality of the RME. Should I sell the API and buy separate preamps then buy the Aurora? How exactly do you input the other preamps into the Aurora?
Thanks,
Tom
I would probably add an Ensemble and connect the A2D via the SPDIF. The Apogee Ensemble would give you some more preamps (which it sounds like you are looking for in addition to the conversion). The converters are very good, and probably about on par with the API's (although different sounding).
Old 9th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I would probably add an Ensemble and connect the A2D via the SPDIF. The Apogee Ensemble would give you some more preamps (which it sounds like you are looking for in addition to the conversion). The converters are very good, and probably about on par with the API's (although different sounding).
I might have to agree with TB here. The Ensemble is a very good sounding interface that will let you integrate the A2D, AND use its four preamplifiers.

It would also be killing many birds with one single stone; Monitoring, 2 Headphone outputs for Cue Mixing, ADAT I/O, SPDIF I/O....etc....etc.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search