The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon VS Sony
Old 1st July 2005
  #1
Gear Head
 
Kesadiq's Avatar
 

Lexicon VS Sony

Ok I have the entire Sony DPS series, R7-D7-M7-F7
except that damn V77 that I am still trying to get.
(and I got rid of the v55 - what mess)

I also recently came to love Waves IR1 and TL-Space, which
sound great to me. I know Plug-in's get a ton of grief, and I hated
reverb plugs before, but the two that I mentioned both sound great.
I have built up a nice 5 gig library of IR's.

So the thing is, I came across a chance to get a new (still in box) PCM-80 or 81.
Either for a little over a grand. Is it worth it, since I already have the Sonys,
or should I just pass, and hold out for something else.

I'm actually prett happy using the Lexicon IR's I have.
Even if I use 2 plug-ins as my Lexicon sound, that still leaves 4 Sony units.
Not to mention a Sony MU-R201 and it's clone the Ibanez SDR100+
(Both very under-rated)

The only Lexicon I have owned is the MPX-500, hardly a classic unit,
even though I liked it.

So to those who have used both the Sony units and the PCM-80-81,
is it better than those? Is it pointless to add? Or would it be a good
purchase, because of the sound difference?
Old 1st July 2005
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesadiq
Ok I have the entire Sony DPS series, R7-D7-M7-F7
except that damn V77 that I am still trying to get.
Good for you my friend.

Do you have the remote also(necessary)?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesadiq

So to those who have used both the Sony units and the PCM-80-81,
is it better than those? Is it pointless to add? Or would it be a good
purchase, because of the sound difference?
If you want the Lexicon sound buy a real lexicon.

I am talking about 480L,224XL and PCM 42.

A PCM 70 is also good.

The PCM80-81 has some ok presets but nothing really special.

Same goes for the PCM 91.
Old 1st July 2005
  #3
Gear Head
 
Kesadiq's Avatar
 

I don't have the remote. I got them all at different times,
watching e-bay trying to find the ones in the best condition.
I guess I should check into it though.

I spent a few hours with the search feature on this site.
Looked up "Lexicon PCM", and it seemed like the 80 and 81
were the least talked about. So I guess I should pass on that.

There is a PCM 42 on E-bay right now. Mint condition.
It looks like it came right out of the box. I wouldn't mind getting that.
Old 1st July 2005
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesadiq
I don't have the remote. I got them all at different times,
watching e-bay trying to find the ones in the best condition.
I guess I should check into it though.
Yeah if you can find the remote it makes using and programming these puppies much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesadiq
I spent a few hours with the search feature on this site.
Looked up "Lexicon PCM", and it seemed like the 80 and 81
were the least talked about. So I guess I should pass on that.
Yeah i would pass unless you can get it at a real bargain.

I bought one a while back for $500 and still sold it(for $850 and made a nice profit). heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesadiq

There is a PCM 42 on E-bay right now. Mint condition.
It looks like it came right out of the box. I wouldn't mind getting that.
One isn't enough you'll need at least a pair and maybe afterwards you'll want 2 more.
Old 1st July 2005
  #5
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

imo the 80/81 and 90/91 are outdone by many plugins these days.

also, i just don't like them.


gregoire
del ubik
Old 1st July 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
80 effects...90 verbs..depends on what you need
Old 1st July 2005
  #7
Gear Nut
 
duende's Avatar
 

80/81 90/91.... didn't like any of them. Had the 80 and 91, and sold both. Love the R7 but sold it during some hardtimes. Still have the V77, M7 and D7. I'd save your money and pass on the 80 and 90 lexicon. Now the PCM70... that's something I'd suggest you purchase.
Old 25th November 2006
  #8
Here for the gear
 

sony / lexicon

totaly subjective in my opinion. I love my 70 /80 and 91. I also have a R7 which i just posted for sale. I have a D7 also which is just to wacky and cool to part with. I've had several V-77. In my opinion, not worth the time or money. I'll take a 70 or 80 any day. Obviously there are others who feel just the opposit.
john duval
Old 25th November 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Reverbs I love :

224XL, 480L, PCM70, SONY V-77, SONY R-7, Altiverb, EMT 140, EMT 250/251, every EMT, UAD-Plate, SRV-2000, Real echo chambers, AKG springs ...

Reverb I like from time to time

AMS, any Eventide, Ursa Major, Lexicon 300, Yamaha R7,R5, Quantec ...

Reverbs I don't like :

Lex 80/81/90/91 and ALL non conv plug verb, TC-verbs in general, all the rest.


next topic ...


regards
Old 25th November 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk View Post
Reverbs I love :

224XL, 480L, PCM70, SONY V-77, SONY R-7, Altiverb, EMT 140, EMT 250/251, every EMT, UAD-Plate, SRV-2000, Real echo chambers, AKG springs ...

Reverb I like from time to time

AMS, any Eventide, Ursa Major, Lexicon 300, Yamaha R7,R5, Quantec ...

Reverbs I don't like :

Lex 80/81/90/91 and ALL non conv plug verb, TC-verbs in general, all the rest.


next topic ...


regards

Kind of depends on what you want from a reverb.

If you are talking about large hall sounds, I have no idea what ears anyone is using that hears a PCM**** as inferior to plug ins...it kills any plug in I've heard for that, and I have heard pretty much everything....better yet find a used LEX 300....

JMHO

TH
Old 25th November 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
foldback's Avatar
Here is the gearslut decision matrix:

Is the gadget cool? NO = exit, YES goto next

Can you afford it? NO = exit, YES goto next

Can you sell it on ebay without a huge loss? NO = exit, YES goto next

What are you waiting for, BUY BUY BUY
Old 25th November 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

An extra point to be made...

Almost more than the question of "is Lexicon worth getting," which I say YES to and agree with the ones being recommeded...

The bigger issue to consider is diversity. Sounds like you have quite the collection of Sony reverbs, but if I were you, I'd spread that collection out to very different sounding reverbs; KINDS of reverbs.

Having your choice Sony is great, then one or two of the Lexicon flavors, then perhaps an AMS, T.C. Electronic, some plugs and others.

It just helps give you more colors to use and in my opinion, a greater arsenal than just a lot from one company (while those sound different, they will still share enough in architecture to not give as much as different reverbs altogether)

Just an extra opinion.

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 25th November 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k View Post
imo the 80/81 and 90/91 are outdone by many plugins these days.
Sounds like quite an overstatement to me ... Can you name an example of such plugins ? They must be quite new. All the reverb plugins which I have tried so far (and I tried almost all of them), were miles away from the depth and lush sound quality of PCM**** (including Altiverb). Comparing to PCM**** the reverb plugins sound a bit metallic and artificial, with quite obvious reverb tail. I would never dare to use them on any of my recordings.
Old 25th November 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk View Post
Reverb I like from time to time

AMS, any Eventide, Ursa Major, Lexicon 300, Yamaha R7,R5, Quantec ...

Reverbs I don't like :

Lex 80/81/90/91
FYI PCM 91 and L300 have exactly the same reverb algorhitms ...
Old 26th November 2006
  #15
Gear Head
 

I've bought last year an Ensoniq DP/pro for the phaser and flanger that are really nice sounding. And one day I decided to try the reverbs from this unit because everything else was used.
And it's sounds amazing!
They are far better than in the DP/4+.

Honnestly it is worth the lexi's 80/90. the reverbs from this gear are really really clean in a mix and add a lot of personality.

When I will have time to spend I will make impulse response from this bad known gear and will post them on the noisevault website. But I want all the presets in the pack so it represents maybe 50 IR's...

To come back to the thread, I really like the eko plate presets in the lexi 90 which are unique.
Old 26th November 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
FYI PCM 91 and L300 have exactly the same reverb algorhitms ...
They don't sound the same to my ears. But It's been a long time since I used a 300, to be honest

regards
Old 26th November 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk View Post
They don't sound the same to my ears. But It's been a long time since I used a 300, to be honest

regards
This is a direct information I got from Lexicon. I suppose they should know :-))
Old 26th November 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
This is a direct information I got from Lexicon. I suppose they should know :-))
They have not the same implementation and converters, tha can change a lot.

I also prefer 480 algos in a 480 and not in the 960

but again

YMMV
Old 26th November 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
The bigger issue to consider is diversity. Sounds like you have quite the collection of Sony reverbs, but if I were you, I'd spread that collection out to very different sounding reverbs; KINDS of reverbs.
WOW! OLD thread...

Anyhow, that list includes only one reverb (not sure of the 201). And the Sonys only do one patch at a time.

Personally, I could use a couple more R7s and some 77s, too. I just hate the 77s can't be controlled by the dang remote...

As for the Lexs, I don't care much for the 80/90 series. I like the 80/81 better than the 90/91 though. They may contain some of the same algos as 300/480 patches, but the older hardware just sounds better to me for whatever reason. Guess I just prefer 'vintage' digital with regard to outboard fx. And PCM-70s are very cool, too.

300s seem to be available fairly reasonably these days ($12-1500 range). That would be a good first Lexicon (IMHO).

Last edited by blackcatdigi; 26th November 2006 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Noticed the date of the OP
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump