The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee AD16X/DA16X 96kHz question
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Head

Apogee AD16X/DA16X 96kHz question

I've read previously about a problem with these units and 96k. Something about an issue with the driver/firmware??

Has this issue (if it was true) been resolved. Are people using it at this sample rate? Is this with or without the pci cards?

I may just use my MOTU 2408MKIII's adat in's outs for routing.

Thanks,

Hollywood

G4 PPC mac (dual 1.25 gHz, 2 gbs ram, motu DP 4.5, OSX 10.2.8).
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood
I've read previously about a problem with these units and 96k. Something about an issue with the driver/firmware??

Has this issue (if it was true) been resolved. Are people using it at this sample rate? Is this with or without the pci cards?

I may just use my MOTU 2408MKIII's adat in's outs for routing.

Thanks,

Hollywood

G4 PPC mac (dual 1.25 gHz, 2 gbs ram, motu DP 4.5, OSX 10.2.8).
I work mostly at 96K, Pro Tools HD Accel, Apogee AD16-x, DA16-x converters and I've never had an issue.
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Head

The issue is that the firmware that allows Advanced Routing Mode (ARM) doesn't allow greater than 48kHz sample rates (even if you disable ARM). I ran into this when first starting to use the X-Firewire cards. Took me a bit of debugging to eliminate all other possibilities and I finally reflashed both AD-16X and DA-16X with the non-ARM firmware and that fixed it.

So, yeah, if you want 96, don't use the ARM firmware.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

qoqo, are you still using x firewire? Is it now working(800)? Thanks for that firmware info though. I'm planning on a ad16x soon.
Old 1st July 2005
Here for the gear

All working here too @ 96kHz without problems.

By the way, you are going to hear a BIG difference over the MOTUs. I have had both MOTU 2408 and then RME ADI-8 convertors. People on the internet sometimes talk about the ADI-8 as if it's even close to apogee which I find quite amusing. One thing I've not tried is clocking the RMEs to the apogee. I will probably do this before saying goodbye to them just to test....

The AD16x/DA16x is one of the best investments I've made.
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
qoqo, are you still using x firewire? Is it now working(800)? Thanks for that firmware info though. I'm planning on a ad16x soon.
Hi Michael. If you're asking about the Rosetta 800, I can't say (though I've heard others who say that's working). The AD-16X and DA-16X are working with X-Firewire though (MacOSX 10.4.1 on a G5).

There is still one issue though, and I'm not sure if this is specific to CoreAudio. I described the issue in detail over at www.osxaudio.com, but that site is down right now. The problem happens when both AD-16X and DA-16X are used simultaneously (each on their own X-Firewire).

When an AD-16X is connected by itself, you will see (in Apples Audio/MIDI Setup, henceforth called AMS) 16 inputs numbered 1-16, and 2 outputs numbered 1-2.

When a DA-16X is connected by itself, you will see (in AMS) 16 outputs numbered 1-16, and 2 inputs numbered 1-2.

Now, if you connect both units, inputs 1-2 on the DA-16X conflict with inputs 1-2 on the AD-16X. The bottom line (for me) is that inputs 1-2 are not available on the AD-16X while the DA-16X is turned on.

After some discussion with Max, it turns out that these stereo in/outs can't be disabled (this would be the obvious solution) because CoreAudio can't deal with devices that have ONLY inputs, or ONLY outputs. So, I suggested that Apogee look into renumbering these in/outs in firmware from 1-2, to e.g. 17-18 (i.e. out of the range of the standard 1-16 numbering for the first 16 in/outs). It seems (from my layman's perspective) that this would remove the numbering ambiguity.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoqo
Hi Michael. If you're asking about the Rosetta 800, I can't say (though I've heard others who say that's working). The AD-16X and DA-16X are working with X-Firewire though (MacOSX 10.4.1 on a G5).

There is still one issue though, and I'm not sure if this is specific to CoreAudio. I described the issue in detail over at www.osxaudio.com, but that site is down right now. The problem happens when both AD-16X and DA-16X are used simultaneously (each on their own X-Firewire).

When an AD-16X is connected by itself, you will see (in Apples Audio/MIDI Setup, henceforth called AMS) 16 inputs numbered 1-16, and 2 outputs numbered 1-2.

When a DA-16X is connected by itself, you will see (in AMS) 16 outputs numbered 1-16, and 2 inputs numbered 1-2.

Now, if you connect both units, inputs 1-2 on the DA-16X conflict with inputs 1-2 on the AD-16X. The bottom line (for me) is that inputs 1-2 are not available on the AD-16X while the DA-16X is turned on.

After some discussion with Max, it turns out that these stereo in/outs can't be disabled (this would be the obvious solution) because CoreAudio can't deal with devices that have ONLY inputs, or ONLY outputs. So, I suggested that Apogee look into renumbering these in/outs in firmware from 1-2, to e.g. 17-18 (i.e. out of the range of the standard 1-16 numbering for the first 16 in/outs). It seems (from my layman's perspective) that this would remove the numbering ambiguity.
Yes gogo, I was meaning the ad16x. That is odd about simul ad16/da16. It would seem obvious to me as you mention the 17/18 application for coreaudio. Yet, what do I know from my layman's perspective heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search