The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I love my Vari MU!
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I love my Vari MU!

I was looking for a good 2 buss comp and thought about an SSL or an Smart. I could not decide. I even looked at a Sintefex (i couldn't get a demo unit 0
Then I found a used Manley a decent price but less than an new SSL.
Man did I score .. this thing sounds great I can put it on anything I can't believe how a really good comp can open up a mix.
This is a pro priece of gear ... now I need another one.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

what ratio are you using on mixes
does it have an auto setting
Old 30th June 2005
VariMu Rocks. I've read a lot of people liking it in moderation, but on like a drum bus I love to krank it.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
what ratio are you using on mixes
does it have an auto setting
no auto
no ratios
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

its all program dependant i think tutt
Old 30th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
no auto
no ratios
The closest it comes is that you get a switch for limit or compress. Great unit for mix bus or drum bus work. It's been around for a while, so some of the newer boxes may get a little more attention these days (and there are indeed some great new boxes), but the vari-mu is a classic and still every bit as good as it's always been.
Old 30th June 2005
I'm pretty flexible about a lot of things - But two things that I hope to never have to do without are my MVM, and my STC-8M. The STC is a fairly recent addition, but I'm already hooked. It works well with almost anything.

But some mixes cry for the Vari-Mu... And when they do, there's nothing else that matters. It's like a baby crying for a bottle.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

We have a Vari-mu with mastering options and 6386 tubes. It is great. I prefer the Pendulum Audio Vari-mu, but the Manley is different animal and an amazing box to use on the mix, or drum bus...
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
This is a pro priece of gear ... now I need another one.
now start saving for a thermionic phoenix..great box.
stike
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Excuse me for saying this, but I haven't been so impressed by it.
I suspect I've heard it with way too hot converters
(calibration-wise, esp. in mastering sessions)

Any comments on comfortable analog levels?

ruudman
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

The VariMu is not a plug-in and go unit. You really have to tweak it to find the sweet spot . (This could be due the tat fact I have only had for about a month).
But when you find that sweet spot it will put a little heaven into you mix.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

I can't agree more. If I had the cash, I would buy one right away.

I've rented it in the past along with a Manley Massive Passive EQ to do some home-mastering, and it is awsome.

This compressor puts the cement between the bricks
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Almost every mix I do goes through my Vari-Mu. I do not actually draw much compression, rarely more than 2 dB, but I love the Euphonic charactaristics of cranking the input knob.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I love my Gyraf Gyratec X .
only a few weeks in the rack and already hooked on it.
Can be mean or sweet, depends on the setting.
drum buss or stereo buss , you name it ....
a real versatile box.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm
Almost every mix I do goes through my Vari-Mu. I do not actually draw much compression, rarely more than 2 dB, but I love the Euphonic charactaristics of cranking the input knob.
Oh yeah! Mix glue. Also great for drum OH and rooms. And it adds a nice sheen to accoustic guitars. the vari-mu is one box that makes things sound better just going through it.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Yes indeed the VM is a fine fine unit.
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Maniac

The old vari-mus sounded great. the new ones are not as good.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan

Ha-ha.

..Forever loved is only the lost..

Jakob E.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan
I had a new one with the t-bar mod. I wanted to love it but never could. Im thinking the older ones had to be great since they have been used so much.
I would like to try one again or rent an old one to see what it sounds like.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabler
I had a new one with the t-bar mod. I wanted to love it but never could. Im thinking the older ones had to be great since they have been used so much.
I would like to try one again or rent an old one to see what it sounds like.
Maybe you should try it without the T-bar mod
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Perhaps there is the perception that the old ones sound better because they employed the "magic" 6386 tube? It's not easy to find one of those on the open market, and as we all know, those tubes are VERY rare now, and the ones installed in older MVM's might be reaching their end-of-life, if they've been sitting in a studio, powered on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'd love to know how long such a tube can keep running, in case anyone knows.

I love the Vari-Mu...I recently bought one and had it T-bar modded, although I am in the process of setting up a room and haven't had a chance to check it out since it returned from the Manley factory. It's not supposed to act much differently unless you're really slamming it, which I don't do that often anyway.

I have had the opportunity to purchase two Pendulum 6386 compressors, one brand new and the other with "less than 30 hours of use", so at the same time I check out the T-Bar, I'll be putting the Pends through the paces. Next up for me is the Phoenix and the Gyratec X...once I get those, my "vari-mu" collection will be complete (at least for the time being). The Mercury, ADL670, Fairman, etc are too expensive for my pocketbook, much as I'd like to hear them.

But I gotta say, I love the Vari-Mu's that I've used.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Guru

I'm really digging the Phoenix here.
Old 4th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater
Perhaps there is the perception that the old ones sound better because they employed the "magic" 6386 tube? It's not easy to find one of those on the open market, and as we all know, those tubes are VERY rare now, and the ones installed in older MVM's might be reaching their end-of-life, if they've been sitting in a studio, powered on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'd love to know how long such a tube can keep running, in case anyone knows.

I love the Vari-Mu...I recently bought one and had it T-bar modded, although I am in the process of setting up a room and haven't had a chance to check it out since it returned from the Manley factory. It's not supposed to act much differently unless you're really slamming it, which I don't do that often anyway.

I have had the opportunity to purchase two Pendulum 6386 compressors, one brand new and the other with "less than 30 hours of use", so at the same time I check out the T-Bar, I'll be putting the Pends through the paces. Next up for me is the Phoenix and the Gyratec X...once I get those, my "vari-mu" collection will be complete (at least for the time being). The Mercury, ADL670, Fairman, etc are too expensive for my pocketbook, much as I'd like to hear them.

But I gotta say, I love the Vari-Mu's that I've used.
The Vari-Mu sounds way better with the T-Bar mod.

The older Vari-Mu would skew the bass.

The older 6386 version of the Vari-Mu did have the chocolate coloration and the newer ones' have a white chocolate coloration.

My suggestion would be buy switch the tubes in it and find a sound that works for you.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

anybody have a song that was mixed thru the vari -mu please post it so we can hear what it sounds like
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Vari-mu we have has the dark choclate 6386 tube in it... compared to the Pendulum Vari-mu (with the same tube), I like the Pendulum. More meaty. Pure Godiva.
Old 5th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
The Vari-mu we have has the dark choclate 6386 tube in it... compared to the Pendulum Vari-mu (with the same tube), I like the Pendulum. More meaty. Pure Godiva.
The Pendulum is less colored. The Manley's Transformer adds some of that iron sound which the Pendulum doesn't have. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want to do. I like boh units very much.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo
The Pendulum is less colored. The Manley's Transformer adds some of that iron sound which the Pendulum doesn't have. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want to do. I like boh units very much.
True...

We have (2) Vari-mu Pendulum 6386 compressors here. One is the stock 6386 and the other is the Transformer i/o option. The one with the extra transformer has the added color (in a very sweet(er) way), making it more similar in construction to the Manley (although I prefer the Pendulum). The stock one (which is the one I believe you are talking about) is exactly as you mentioned.

I do love the Manley too. They are all great. If I had to pick one.... Pendulum with transformer option would be a no-brainer.
Old 5th July 2005
Here for the gear

Vari Mu

I have a mastering vari mu , lovely on mix buss, good for mastering, anyone with the MS option?, if so please some tips would be welcome.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

The Vari-Mu definately is an awesome unit. Its color isn´t right for everything, but on the right mix it´s liquid gold. It can nice on single tracks as well.

I still have to check out the STC-8 - all STC users say it´s another classic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search