The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum room mics.. what are you using?
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges
Sure, lots. They're great. I actually find them more pleasant than the aforementioned B&Ks and prefer them. There's something really accurate, but also very flattering about them. On top of that, Brad Avenson and Erik Wofford are both super-cool guys, which makes buying from them even more enjoyable.
Chris and Warren: regarding the STO-2's, how do you have them set up with respect to the kit; and is there anything else you like to use them for?

Thanks!
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

I usually do a spaced pair of 4047's with a little compression. But then a mono u87 smashed to hell with an 1176. It gives me plenty of options to work with at mixdown.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Chris and Warren: regarding the STO-2's, how do you have them set up with respect to the kit; and is there anything else you like to use them for?

Thanks!
I've had the best luck with those mics in the "boundary mics on the floor" thing, measured equidistant from the front of the kick drum. They're also really cool spaced-pair drum overhead mics in certain situations, especially for bashers. Often times I'll put those close to the cymbals and then have another mono mic (414, M160, 19a9) up higher above the kit.

I also really like them on spinet piano and on muddy guitar amps when I'm trying to retain clarity and top-end detail. I sometimes use B&Ks for this, too. They sound good on Leslie cabinets and I've recorded background vocals with them on several occasions. I've used the Avenson on snare drum with some interesting results, although I'm not generally crazy about omnis on snare. I've tried them as ambient mics for live acoustic recordings in a few halls and chruches, but have prefered the sound of the Oktava MC/MK012s with cardioid capsules or the Audio Tech 4051s. Call me crazy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Cool. The STO-2's seem like a no-brainer at $500 a pair.

Thanks.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

No problem. They really are great mics. And if you don't know, Brad usually builds a bunch of mics at a time, then tests them and pairs them up. The mic bodies are stamped with serial nimbers prior to assembly, so you might get mics number #98 and #105, but they will be matched and the case will indicate pair #51 or something, as well as the individual serial numbers.

I can't wait to try out his direct boxes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The WD40 is excellent! Never squeaks but penetrates. I have 2.

I
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

M149 x 2, sometimes distressors, sometimes 1178 as the mood dictates.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
I really like 4050 in omni, about 6 feet out and on straight stands at the lowest height. I did just get a set of the Chinese ribbons that I'm planning to try soon.

A bit of an update. I got the Chinese ibbons (Tape Op group buy). I did some quick tests yesterday and they sound really cool.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

What about the Oktava ribbons? I've been tented to try them so many times.

I
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
Blue Bottle mic, with the Perspex Sphere omni is a nice mic! I have tried it with the B6 capsule on some really quick and dirty testing, and it sounded great. I would love to try it with the Perpsex omni. A buddy of mine also has a Blue Bottle, and he has the omni capsule, I'd love to try it.
Started a session last night, and the drummer commented how he liked the sound of his drums in his cans when the bass player's talkback mic was on (I hadn't ducked the talk-backs yet). I decided to add a room mic or two to give him the ambience he was looking for. Used the Blue Bottle with the B6 capsule about 6-8 feet in front of the kit, set about 4 feet high with the capsule pointed down at the kick.

HOLY CRAP! Beautiful! Soled with the kick mics gave a very usable sound just by themselves. Impressive to say the least. I am really liking this mic!

Now I've just got to get ahold of the persphex sphere omni capsule!
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
2 x Neumann M149's - hyper cardiod pointed away from the kit at concrete walls / glass bricks (6 inches away) - no pre - direct into a pair of Distressors.

I have to try this shait!

heh
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

This is of course specific to everyone's particular room....but for what it's worth...I keep coming back to a pair of shure SM81s either XY or ORTF pointing AWAY from the kit. For a gritty rock room sound, they never let me down. Lots of "BANG!"

-Z-
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Addict

Neumann M150's make awesome room mics

been using Neumann M150 Tube mics for the room. make my medium sized drum room sound huge (unlike the huge rooms that i've never had any luck *recording* huge).

coles are great. royers can be nice. although the SF12 for me is too unfocused in our room. M249's can be cool (like U67's). some folks use PZM's strapped to the concrete wall. one or two SM57's are always nice to have come mix time (useful for listen mics too).

-tE

SAN FRANCISCO SOUNDWORKS
www.sfsoundworks.com
---------------------------------------
Featuring the ultimate SSL 9K mix rooms.

Recent Clients: New Order, Ice Cube, Alanis Morrisette, DJ Shadow/Radiohead, Keane, Vanessa Carlton, REM, The Cardigans, Blackalicious, Roy Hargrove, The Sounds.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

2 Rode Classic II
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

I resurrected this thread only to say that I was able to use a nice room for drum tracking this weekend, and the room mics MADE my snare sound. I am so ecstatic right now.

I had C414 XLS's set to omni about 5 feet in front of the kick, spaced 30 feet to the left/right of the set. Depending on the track, I delayed them a bit, then put a gate on, triggered by the snare.

This has been done a million times before by people on this forum, but it was my first time using a decent drum room, and I can't explain how awesome it is using the actual room tone instead of ****e reverb plugins to get the sound I want. I was thinking I might bus the snare and toms to a fader, then use that to trigger the gate, see if it beefs up the toms too...

Just had to share

--

EDIT: Go figure. This thread is in the high end forum. Just disregard my enthusiasm. OLD HAT to you seasoned pros...

Last edited by Cody; 19th October 2009 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Blow to ego.
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

R88. Requires significant juice from my Toft channels but they sound incredible.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

I've been using stereo LCDs in omni or Figure 8's with the nulls pointed at the kit. I like to then add a LCD in cardiod about two inches off the floor somewhere in a corner. Gets a lot of sweet boom. With this setup, I often get a better, more "fun" stereo image than a stereo pair of overheads.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Just anything, 77, 47, 149 or sometimes a dynamic ..whatever's on the boom at the time ...mostly 77.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post

I had C414 XLS's set to omni about 5 feet in front of the kick
same here, pair of 414's in XY about 6 - 8 feet out in front of the kit. want to try a spaced pair very soon. If the U87's arn't on something, sometimes I'll swap em out for them.
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Addict

The trick that makes the most difference for me, is to put my room mics (omnis) on the walls. That removes the walls to some degree (for the mic that's attached to it) and thereby in some sense makes the room larger. Works really great!

I'm using a couple of DPA4061's, taped to the walls.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

I'll have to try that!

A while back I was playing drums on a bands track, and the producer/engineer taped an omni to the control room glass, it really beefed up the room sound.
Old 19th October 2009
RCA 77 with the null pointed at the drums
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

RCA 44 in front of the kit and a U67 or U87 in the omni in the next room.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear
Coles 4038 in Blumlein usually.

GT model 1b if I'm only using a mono room. The GT55 also works pretty well.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

I've used 2 NT2's spaced in omni 15' back and 10' wide, 414/P12 in M/S from 30' back and 414b-uls in blumlien about 10' back.

Blumlien wins. Whenever I go for the wide thing I can never get a stable kick/snare image in the center. One is always leaning this way or that.

I do like the room mic's at 30' back or so for that albini vibe. Doesn't work on a lot of stuff though.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Last night I was in my car listening to a rock radio station when I heard "Saving Grace" from Tom Petty, it was the first time I heard the song and the drums on this song simply blew me away.

They are so roomy and wide, anybody knows which mic was used to get that wide room sound?
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

TLM 193's and C414 TL2's work for me
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a fan of U87's for room mic's.
Old 26th March 2010
Deleted f4cefa4
I think by this point almost everything has been said. There are clearly a whole load of great options, you just need something reliable, in your price range, and with a good reputation. Personally I really dislike any of the rode nt's as oh's or room's.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post

Now I've just got to get ahold of the persphex sphere omni capsule!
Why? Sounds like what you have is working pretty well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search