The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Got a C800G today.
Old 3rd February 2009

Got a C800G today.

Cool mic. I see why it's popular. It really had a color that brought this girls voice forward. It was killer with my api 312 and La3a

Old 3rd February 2009

Congrats!
Old 3rd February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Congrats!
I totally thought of you today when it showed up at the studio. I thought you being a hip hop/R&B guy you'd probably dig it. I really like it, the girl was laying into it hard and it sounded so good, open and alive, and that was through my 1073 and then we plugged it into my vintage 312 and POWW. It sounded so great.

Thanks for the advice on here about the 800
Old 3rd February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Thanks for the advice on here about the 800
Glad to help.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

I am beginning to dislike you and your mic collection.

How does it sound paired with your Pacifica and CL1b?

Congrats!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

James now you are just starting to piss me off!heh
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

So, ok, while we're on the topic...

James, what does your current mic collection contain?

C'mon - let's hear it. I'm depressed enough as it is cause I have to sell my Bock 151 in order to pay for some windows for our living room.

Make me weep!!!!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

dude, sweet. its a great addition to any locker imho.

now tell me you don't record vocals in that box of foam
Old 3rd February 2009

Yeah yeah I know. My mic collection has gotten crazy for a guy with mid sized studio:

Wagner U47w
Sony C800G
Neumann U67
Neumann U87
Soundelux E251c

among other things.

The 800 was best with the Pacifica and API. We plugged it into the CL1b at the end of the night and it was just sick how good it sounded. It sounded like a Kelly Clarkson record, incredible detail on top. I used the La3a for most of the night because the mic was new to me and was not familiar with it and the La3a is a no brainer comp, the CL1b can be a bit tricky and I didn't want to deal with it at first because the mic showed up in the middle of a somewhat stressful session so I didn't want to be f'n around to much. But when I did plug it in at the end, everyone in the room gasped, it was that good sounding. That CL1b is a sick puppy for pop.
Old 3rd February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmiguel View Post
lol

Everyone gives me s**t about it. I'm moving out of my building this year so I will be sure to trick out my next booth. Maybe I'm just not hip but we get some great vocal sounds in that crappy little box.
Old 3rd February 2009
Damn, I wish I could try one of these mics, let alone own them.
Old 3rd February 2009
Quote:

The 800 was best with the Pacifica and API. We plugged it into the CL1b at the end of the night and it was just sick how good it sounded. It sounded like a Kelly Clarkson record, incredible detail on top. I used the La3a for most of the night because the mic was new to me and was not familiar with it and the La3a is a no brainer comp, the CL1b can be a bit tricky and I didn't want to deal with it at first because the mic showed up in the middle of a somewhat stressful session so I didn't want to be f'n around to much. But when I did plug it in at the end, everyone in the room gasped, it was that good sounding. That CL1b is a sick puppy for pop.
Next time if you get a chance try it in omni mode. It sounds best in omni. Also you gotta let it warm up a bit. Its one of the mics that when the tube is cooking it sounds its best.
Old 3rd February 2009
Maybe you should try out the Sony for the next Veronica album, I think it would sound great for their voices.
Old 3rd February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Next time if you get a chance try it in omni mode. It sounds best in omni. Also you gotta let it warm up a bit. Its one of the mics that when the tube is cooking it sounds its best.
Hey thrill,

What is it about omni tht makes it sound good? Honestly, I don't think I've ever used omni wih vocals.
Old 3rd February 2009
JDN
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool mic. I see why it's popular. It really had a color that brought this girls voice forward. It was killer with my api 312 and La3a

nice! I'm sure you won't regret! I went to a mic shootout at your place a year or so again and was singing the praises of the C800g but we didn't have one to test. It will be interesting at the next one to see how it holds up since it's usually my goto
Old 3rd February 2009
Quote:
Hey thrill,

What is it about omni tht makes it sound good? Honestly, I don't think I've ever used omni wih vocals.
To my ears it opens it up and makes it less grainy & or gritty. Also omni takes away the proximity effect that on the C800G i never found flattering. Works just as well on U87's. Its like having a new mic . Makes it sound more like what you paid for.

Its also great for singers who tend to move around and not stand in the same place when recording because the off axis response is pretty uniform through out.

The biggest drawback is you need a good sounding room or have it baffled nicely. Not too tight and not too roomy. Also hopefully no weird noises going on.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

Everyone gives me s**t about it. I'm moving out of my building this year so I will be sure to trick out my next booth. Maybe I'm just not hip but we get some great vocal sounds in that crappy little box.
trust me, i'd love to take the extra space back with a smaller booth. many artists hate being watched anyway. and besides, they never totally asphyxiate in those anyways, just get really red in the face

searching for that wagner thread now....

Quote:
omni....im going out on a limb here and guessing you haven't worked in an auralex closet recently heh but really ive found the omni improvement elusive in most booths....or maybe its me and i have childhood booth issues.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

Recently took a C800G and a killer sounding Neumann U47 (vf14, m7) to a friend's place to see which sounded best for a young female singer he was going to produce.

The Sony stayed for the duration of the sessions. It had clarity, detail and a modern sound without eq that the 47 just couldn't match.
Old 3rd February 2009
Quote:

omni....im going out on a limb here and guessing you haven't worked in an auralex closet recently heh but really ive found the omni improvement elusive in most booths....or maybe its me and i have childhood booth issues.
Hey to go out further on that limb with you, if i walked into a booth that was all Auralex i would literally throw gasoline on it and burn it all down.

Seriously though try it. Sometimes it works in a smaller room & sometimes it sounds like pure death. Personally if to my ears the booth is influencing the midrange i would yank the singer out of it and just record in the control room & monitor with headphones. To EQ out the room in the midrange of a vocal is so difficult, especially when people expect the vocal to be pushed forward and sit present in the mix.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
dude, sweet. its a great addition to any locker imho.

hahahahaah, exactly what I was thinking LMAO!

I saw the 47, and the c800 but then I saw the foam......ohh boy!

Immediately though, "why doesn't he get some good diffusers?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey to go out further on that limb with you, if i walked into a booth that was all Auralex i would literally throw gasoline on it and burn it all down.

Seriously though try it. Sometimes it works in a smaller room & sometimes it sounds like pure death. Personally if to my ears the booth is influencing the midrange i would yank the singer out of it and just record in the control room & monitor with headphones. To EQ out the room in the midrange of a vocal is so difficult, especially when people expect the vocal to be pushed forward and sit present in the mix.
Agreed! 200%
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seriously though try it.
no i def have tried it, ill make a point to move it back from the glass a bit next time the mic comes out.

man, vox in the cr - i spend all day trying to disengage from people in this nutjob city... inviting them to blow down my neck with their dry garlic singing breath is like rush hour in the subway. what im scared of is if it actually works.
Old 3rd February 2009
Quote:
what im scared of is if it actually works.
To be honest i only do it with certain vocalists namely females.

The rappers can stay in the booth.

And nothing makes your day, then after a long work day going into the vocal booth & having to smell the pop filters when you have to take them down.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

And nothing makes your day, then after a long work day going into the vocal booth & having to smell the pop filters when you have to take them down.
now we're definitely back on topic w/ c800g and, in fact, if there was any other mic that could attract such offensive breath to the studio as this i'd like to know. the flight case needs to come with a space for holding tic tacs.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be honest i only do it with certain vocalists namely females.

You should use metal filters in that case . easy to wash them after sessions .
Old 3rd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
You should use metal filters in that case . easy to wash them after sessions .
Sounds like what a dentist would do.

Anyway i have 2 words for you:

Febreze and Carpet Fresh.

The 2 modern marvels for the studio. I think without them i would literally die in the studio work environment.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

right on.

i hate little, foam-lined booths, especially for vocals.

out in the live room with care taken with placement and baffling or in the control room.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

I'll trade you a case of Owens Corning 703 if you can hook me up with Chelsea Handler. Don't act like you can't do it. I saw that episode.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Congrats, James! I want one too
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Congrats James!!
For R&B or pop vocal production the best chain is:
Sony C800G > Neve 1073 > Tube Tech CL-1B.

And for good measure if you try the new pop filter from Pete's Place, it completely takes away any proximity effect problem Thrill was talking about. It's without a doubt the best pop filter I have ever used.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search