Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wheeler View Post
Thanks wildpark,

I don't want to go off topic that's why I have created a new thread:

Bauner Valvet X

- Today I read about the Sony 800G:

They (Scott Storch, Dr. Dre etc.) use it a lot for hip-hop except Jay-Z. He uses a U47...

The 800G has a similar capsule like a U67. (I'm surprised...)
The mic also works undervoltage and produces some kind of self-compression
which is great for R'n'B and Hip Hop.

I don't know if this all is true since I don't work in this genre.

I ve seen Jay-Z use a U87 quite often
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

u87

jz recorded a lot at baseline studio and they only have a u87 at that time until justin bought a c800g but no u47 and only handful of hip hop studio really know about a u47.
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

I only once have seen Jay-Z recording with Rick Rubin and they have used a U47 on his voice but please don't turn this into a Jay-Z thread. I'm sure he uses 800G or a U87. I just mentioned it because I read it in a magazine. The message in my post was:

The mic also works undervoltage and produces some kind of self-compression
which is great for R'n'B and Hip Hop.

I don't know if this all is true since I don't work in this genre.

Thx,
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only once have seen Jay-Z recording with Rick Rubin and they have used a U47 on his voice but please don't turn this into a Jay-Z thread. I'm sure he uses 800G or a U87. I just mentioned it because I read it in a magazine. The message in my post was:
I suspect the video you once saw of Jay recording with Rick was a clip taken from the "Fade To Black" Sessions. If that is in fact the footage you're referring too, you're mistaken. It wasn't a U47 at all, it was actually an E LAM 250/251 (which have seen a fair amount of use in the Hip-Hop/R&B world since the early 90's).
Old 6th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212team View Post
jz recorded a lot at baseline studio and they only have a u87 at that time until justin bought a c800g but no u47 and only handful of hip hop studio really know about a u47.
This is 100% correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTone View Post
I suspect the video you once saw of Jay recording with Rick was a clip taken from the "Fade To Black" Sessions. If that is in fact the footage you're referring too, you're mistaken. It wasn't a U47 at all, it was actually an E LAM 250/251 (which have seen a fair amount of use in the Hip-Hop/R&B world since the early 90's).
It was a U47 at Rick Rubin's. You can clearly see at 0:41 of this video it's a U47.

Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Back on topic....I'm getting my C800G too on Monday Morning thanks Volodia
I will definitely Do another "better" A/B test with the VTB before selling it.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The majority of mics out there use a capsule based on the K67: Dual diaphragm, dual backplate. Even Chinese mics have this type of capsule. It's easier to get a more exciting high end out of this design, than a single backplate design like a K47.
Old 7th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Back on topic....I'm getting my C800G too on Monday Morning thanks Volodia
I will definitely Do another "better" A/B test with the VTB before selling it.
One thing to keep in mind about the VTB is that it does not have the same amount of headroom as the C800G... so, you have to be more careful with how you use it and your gain staging in order to get that same type of sound.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

800G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTone View Post
Well, I can't remember where I have seen that session. It was about Rick Rubin... but I can assure you that I know the difference between a ELAM and a U47. heh

- BTW: I hope you own those avatar ISA 110's! thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
This is 100% correct.

It was a U47 at Rick Rubin's. You can clearly see at 0:41 of this video it's a U47.

Thanks for saving my butt! heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
The majority of mics out there use a capsule based on the K67: Dual diaphragm, dual backplate. Even Chinese mics have this type of capsule. It's easier to get a more exciting high end out of this design, than a single backplate design like a K47.
Oh I see... Thanks for the info JJ! Well appreciated.

It's just that I never was into modern mics like the 800G.

A friend of mine sold about 20 million records using the 800G only.
He actually don't care about mic's. Every vocalist which pops up
in his studio will be recorded with the 800G.

Pretty funky. heh

Good night gearslutz...
Old 10th February 2009

Been tracking for a few days with the 800, I really like it. I love how it holds up under powerhouse singing ala Kelly Clarkson. It's like there's no tonal breakdown when the singer is just unloading. Great mic. The 800 and the Wagner are just ruling the roost.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Been tracking for a few days with the 800, I really like it. I love how it holds up under powerhouse singing ala Kelly Clarkson. It's like there's no tonal breakdown when the singer is just unloading. Great mic. The 800 and the Wagner are just ruling the roost.
good to hear! So you like it better then the 251?
Old 10th February 2009

I love the 251, I think at the end of the day the C800g is gonna get way more use. It just has a sound that sounds like the radio, as trite as that may sound that's what the deal is. The 251 has that vintagey sound that I'm finding more and more can start to turn me off when we start mixing certain tracks. Sometimes I just want it clean and striaght up your a**!

The C800G is straight up you a**! Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm damn JEALOUS !!!!
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the 251, I think at the end of the day the C800g is gonna get way more use. It just has a sound that sounds like the radio, as trite as that may sound that's what the deal is. The 251 has that vintagey sound that I'm finding more and more can start to turn me off when we start mixing certain tracks. Sometimes I just want it clean and striaght up your a**!

The C800G is straight up you a**! Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
lol, I feel you, I've been recording with my C800G all day and I love it !! one of the artist came out the booth and when he heard his take he asked me if it was mixed lol
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Freaky old skool

Mike
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Has the 800 or any of it`s versions (G? ) been discontinued recently by Sony?

I can`t find any pressreleases but I think someone said something....

Thanks!

Thomas
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post
Has the 800 or any of it`s versions (G? ) been discontinued recently by Sony?

I can`t find any pressreleases but I think someone said something....

Thanks!

Thomas
I don't know for yhe US but in Europe they're noted as discontinued . I think they built them on demand for the US . The non G version is discontinued everywhere .
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

That's what a rep told me as well. No more C800 but the G is built basically on demand which would explain the (AGAIN!!??) price increase...they list for $9981 on Sony's website....Madness...
Old 12th February 2009

Quote:
That's what a rep told me as well. No more C800 but the G is built basically on demand which would explain the (AGAIN!!??) price increase...they list for $9981 on Sony's website....Madness...
That is almost twice what I sold them for just a few short years ago.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
That is almost twice what I sold them for just a few short years ago.
yeah...that's what you have to pay for.. SEMI- Vintage gear!!???heh
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
yeah...that's what you have to pay for.. SEMI- Vintage gear!!???heh
Makes sense.....

Congrats Mr. Lugo!! The Sony is one hell of a mic and my best investment. It can get sibilant with nasal voices, but damn, it is exactly how you described it: radio.

Im glad to finally see some love being spread for the 800g. MDjice-bout time you got one!!! JK.
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is it about omni tht makes it sound good? Honestly, I don't think I've ever used omni wih vocals.
Due to my unhealthy interest in mic frequency response graphs, I have noticed that omni mode can sometimes flatten the response curve in the 4k-5k range but enhance it in the very top end. Now I have to go see if switching my CO 538b into omni will turn it into a C800. According to the graph, it will!
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmain View Post
Makes sense.....

Congrats Mr. Lugo!! The Sony is one hell of a mic and my best investment. It can get sibilant with nasal voices, but damn, it is exactly how you described it: radio.

Im glad to finally see some love being spread for the 800g. MDjice-bout time you got one!!! JK.
I know I know I've been slacking!! lol
I was hoping to find something similar and cheaper so the money could go to outboard gear....nope, it had to go to the Mic...AND outboard gearheh
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whoa! We can get them from Sony for just over $7K here in Japan.
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
I know I know I've been slacking!! lol
I was hoping to find something similar and cheaper so the money could go to outboard gear....nope, it had to go to the Mic...AND outboard gearheh
Its the search for the yellow brick road to sonic heaven.
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmain View Post
Im glad to finally see some love being spread for the 800g.

+1
Old 25th February 2009

Well after using the C800G for a month I've come to the conclusion that it's a great mic but not for me. I don't do enough Pop/R&B to warrant owning a mic of this calliber.

James
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well after using the C800G for a month I've come to the conclusion that it's a great mic but not for me. I don't do enough Pop/R&B to warrant owning a mic of this calliber.

James
Hahaha. I love the way your opinions can change over a period of time! Love the honesty.

Are you going to be selling it? A vocalist I know is looking for one.
Old 25th February 2009

Yeah I'm gonna sell it, starting a massive record Thursday and want to get some gear for it. It's for sale in the GS classified. $4300, exactly what I paid for it.
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna sell it, starting a massive record Thursday and want to get some gear for it. It's for sale in the GS classified. $4300, exactly what I paid for it.
Cool! Sent you a PM a few minutes ago. That's answered one of the questions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search