The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
True Systems Precision 8.....good/bad
Old 28th June 2005
Here for the gear

True Systems Precision 8.....good/bad

I am looking to purchase the True Systems Precision 8ch. preamp. Who has used one of these and what is your view of the unit. I am looking for opinions, facts, and possibly the opportunity to try the piece out. Thanks.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

The P8 is a good, solid pre. Not the most detailed, but has a fairly "warm" sound, and is pretty clean. It also has M/S on channels 1 and 2. Very good pre for the money.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

hi stinkybuffalo,

I have one and like it. The song referenced in my sig line, "girlsong," was tracked on the True Precision 8. The very last chorus is the True, relatively untreated, and the last verse just before it used the True's M-S matrix for re-amping one of the tracks. The rest of the song is fairly heavily treated, but the True Precision 8 was there at the inception for all original tracks.

best,

John
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns
The P8 is a good, solid pre. Not the most detailed, but has a fairly "warm" sound, and is pretty clean. It also has M/S on channels 1 and 2. Very good pre for the money.
What he said. I've used it for remote recording in the past with exceptional results.
Old 29th June 2005
It's a great utilitarian pre. Not the first I go to but when I start tracking 15 to 20 mics at a time it always works its way in on something.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

We've got one at the studio. I like it alot. It's not a Neve or API ,but when I don't want something colored sounding I reach for it. Seems to have plenty of gain and fairly detailed sounding. I like using it on drum OH for modern rock tones and then use the neve's and api's for close mics and room tones, ect.

I find that its def. worth the money considering how many pre's you get for the money.

ERic
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Had one, sold it...wish I hadn't. Bought a Trident S100 with the sale and hated it. Sold it and bought an API 3124...love it. But wish I still ahd the True as well. Good pre, clean with loads of gain.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Good pre, clean with loads of gain.

That's True, I mean correct. The down side of that is there are no pads on it. Depending on the mics you use with it, almost impossible to use with loud sources. Be prepared to but some external pads.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Boring!

A boring sounding pre!

The Audient ASP 008 is cheaper and sounds better.
Also like better the API 3124+ or even the ATI 8MX2
Old 29th June 2005
Here for the gear

thanks

I appreciate the heads up everyone. I would love to be able to buy the 3124 or possibly ISA 428, but money and necessity restrict me. I am concerned about the possible need for external pads. Any suggestions for potentially better buys that you've all experienced. I can't put more than $2500 in to these pres. A 4ch. would be ok, but having 8chs. that are good is where i'd rather start. Top of the line if possible but on a budgeted price range. Thanks again everyone for the comments.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

thanks for the non-objective opinion gearhunter
seems as tho your related to Audient's importer
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Guru

i am looking at the ATI 8MX2 ..... for a remote recording rig ...... having the mixer built in might even be usefull as a summing device .. for thise that want to mix out to some stems ...... around 2500.00 for this for 8 channels and a mixer with solo's and monitoring ....

peace john
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

For $2500 you could get 2 used 428's if you shop right. IMO though, the True is better, again just my opinion and I had both racked on top of another at one point.

There are no pads though, that is certainly an issue on heavy drummers. I bought a few Rapco 20 db pads for it. If you ge the True and need them, give me a pm and I will sell you these cheap.

Good luck....

cdog has a Vintech 473 for $2400 on here right now, only 4 pres but you woudl have the dope eq as well....

BTW, if you find an extra thousand, check out the Shadow Hill 8 ch pre...looks incredible and flexible!
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I have limited use with the True but also found it quite boring indeed, though I realize it is a good unit. Just not my cup of tea.

That being said I am usually interested in a pre bringing some mojo to the party.

I don't generally like the "transparent" "clean" pres.

Definitely need pads on those suckers.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Had one in the studio for over a month....very solid detailed pre with not much personality to them....would be great for classical or jazz......but just lack a certain mojo for my taste......MS thing was way cool.....I wouldnt want that to be my only mic pre....if you had a few nice colored mic pres then these would be a welcomed addition.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

GOOD: To me it’s a very clean wide open/big sounding pre, a little on the bright side if you will, but sweet sounding. M/S encoding on the fly is cool. Variable gain pots are very noise free(well, at least 7 of mine). Dual outputs(db25, trs) , 2 DI’s.

BAD: NO PAD, but of course some inline pads are surely laying around somewhere, right? 2 DI’s heh

UGLY: well other than the fact mine is a little dirty, I don’t think it’s that ugly Need's a good cleaning

Agree with the above post; good addition to your family of pre's(no matter what size!) , good location package, and I rarely get bored recording
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Head

True is good. Get the Daking 4ch. pre. Better mojo, and you won't ever want to sell it.
Old 1st July 2005
Here for the gear

thanks again for the responses. the audient intrigues me but it has the same pad problem. I might be open to cdog's vintech piece. i have heard really good things about them. also i have recently found a way to obtain more pres so i am looking for a 4ch hi quality in the same price range. thanks again everyone for the helpful input.
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Addict

I used the true for about six months, and was never blown away by it. Not very exciting.

A
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

The 473 is sold - its a great piece indeed. I will replace it with X81s.

The True 8 I also own and is highly under rated. Its up there with Millenia, clean as a whistle and very detailed..
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
the audient intrigues me but it has the same pad problem
Some things to know about the Audient. I bought one and it's pretty cool. First, it does have a PAD on the first two channels, which in addition to mic-in also have direct instrument in. This comes in REAL handy when you need to do a scratch track, a keyboard, drum machine, click-track etc. I have used the ASP008 on loud signals like drums, and with hot condenser mics, and I have not had any problem with too much level.

One cool thing is that you can also use it as a line amp (all channels switchable to line level), which I do a lot, too. I have the ADAT out version, so you can use it as an 8-channel A/D converter. For instance, I'll use an API 512 mic-pre, then patch the output of it in to the Audient line-in, and just set the Audient level at 12:00 and it will through-put down through the ADAT outs in to my RME interface.

Sonically, it's not an API or Neve or something on that level, but also not as plain-jane as the True or the Digi 428. I actually liked it BETTER than the mic-pres in my Drawmer 1969 (Sorry Fletcher. I LOVE my 1969 and use it constantly. The compressor rocks). I'd say the Audient sounds like a good console pre--which it is, actually, from the Audient ASP8024 console--- ala Amek, the better Soundcrafts, etc. I find it not harsh at all, with a nice silky high end. And needless to say, it's quiet.

So, for under $2K for the ADAT version, there's basically no contest.

Now, if you have $2400 and only need four pres, the API 3124+ is the way to go, hands down!
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Addict

Great pre, but I have to sell mine. :(
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i am looking at the ATI 8MX2 ..... for a remote recording rig ......
peace john
I liked this piece a lot, and never should have sold mine. The True Systems piece I found boring and not very inspiring, as has been mentioned by others here. Nothing -wrong- with it in terms of sound or noise or anything like that, it just sat unused most of the time. We had the two channel model, not the 8.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear
I'll join the chorus of people regretting that they sold their TP 8. It was great for remote recording--compact and clean, easy to use with clear metering.

I had the first two channels of mine modded by the manufacturer to add a click-stop with an ultra-low gain setting--about 6 db, as I recall--to avoid overs on loud drum tracks. It worked!

Wonder who has that box now?
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Great Unit

I love my P8. It is Ultra Clean. When I want character, I run stuff through the P8 and then into my 1176, sometimes without compression. For the price, 8 super clean, detailed preamps is a great deal. The monitoring is amazing, and the M/S feature is very useable. As far as the Pad issue, I only overload the input when I use a condenser on a loud source like a cranked guitar cab or a close miced snare. If I ned a pad, I have a couple of inline pads. Sure, i'd love to have a coulpe Neves, but the True is way worth the money. I'm not sellng mine anytime soon.
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

My producer and I did an extensive shootout between API A2D, a true 8 channel loaner, and grace m101. The true was very warm and round, and, although the API usually came out on top, the true was a consistently musical and terrific sounding pre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search