The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apogee AD-16X vs 192
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Apogee AD-16X vs 192

apparently when eddie van halen heard the AD-16X (as compared to the 192 he had previous experience with) he instantly became a pro tools convert.

i'm in the market for 8 more channels of A-D (as well as a PT interface xhd) - but would like to spend as little as possible - i've seen a few used 192's for sale. is there that significant a difference between the two? in eddie van halen's case its the difference between using & not-using a DAW.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

????????????????

i DON´T UNDERSTAND, SOMETIMES MY ENGLISH IS ALITTLE BIT BLA BLA, BUT...

IF YOU R TRYING TO SAY EDDIE VAN HALEN LIKED MORE THE 192 OVER THE APOGEE? I CAN SAY HE´S STILL IN THE 80´S!

PUPO
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74
i DON´T UNDERSTAND, SOMETIMES MY ENGLISH IS ALITTLE BIT BLA BLA, BUT...

IF YOU R TRYING TO SAY EDDIE VAN HALEN LIKED MORE THE 192 OVER THE APOGEE? I CAN SAY HE´S STILL IN THE 80´S!

PUPO
sorry: eddie van halen would never use pro tools with a 192, but with a AD-16X he's good to go.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

I don´t know anything about this but i can say you that there´s no much difference between 192 and apogee´s if fact a friend of mine have changed old apogees and get a couple of 192´s. it´s not an 888!!!!

best regards from spain
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear
i'd call eddie about this but i lost his number so has anyone here actually A/Bd these things? i'm working on getting a listen, but the dealer in mexico only has rossetta 800s in stock and i was told the rossetta doesn't have the C777 clock, so any 1st hand experience would be appreciated.
Old 29th June 2005
More cowbell!

pretty sure the first post is just written in a confusing way, and the guy is referring to this quote:

Quote:
...Eddie [Van Halen] had never experienced Pro Tools in a positive way, and because of the Apogee converters, and being such an analog guy, he really became a believer, he heard the difference between the 192 and the AD-16X and loved it and had to have it. It was really important for the mix.The biggest thing was convincing them that Pro Tools and digital was the cool way to go and sonically viable, and they became believers and loved it. I think that the AD-16X is the next level for Apogee and is a really noticeable difference, especially from the old AD-16’s, its just wild, the top opens up and it is airy and clear, but not grainy and harsh, which is cool. ..."
which is from the Apogee website, here:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/users/i...p?show=adda16x

In answer to your question, you might try a search here for some of the many many threads discussing this very thing.

Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

since when is eddie van halen a recording engineer?
Old 29th June 2005
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
i'd call eddie about this but i lost his number so has anyone here actually A/Bd these things? i'm working on getting a listen, but the dealer in mexico only has rossetta 800s in stock and i was told the rossetta doesn't have the C777 clock, so any 1st hand experience would be appreciated.

The Rossetta and AD/DA-16-X sound different. Even when you clock them both with Big Ben.

Which one is better depends on your taste.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

as the Apogee is 16 channels each direction...you would need both to complete a system...16 each way..obviously more money...but more channels
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
The Rossetta and AD/DA-16-X sound different. Even when you clock them both with Big Ben.

Which one is better depends on your taste.
thank you, but i'm really interested in a comparison between 16X series and digi 192 which is what i have now - wouldn't buy multiple rossettas.

so if anyone here has actually A/B'd the two i'd be real interested in your comments. thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search