The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dbx160a vs. Distressor
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

dbx160a vs. Distressor

Hi guys,
Alright, I do mainly hiphop, r&b music.
Lots of rap vocals. So its widely known the with hiphop, if the drums don't thump, the songs not happening all the way.

I'm looking to invest in my first outboard compressor. I have lots of
experiece with the uad stuff as well as waves. But I think the plugs are missing what I need for that true thump.

Looking at either a DBX160a, or something nicer like a distressor. If
you guys could give me some pros and cons of each, I'd let you sleep with my girlfriend. If I had one

Help a brotha out....
-jon
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Distressor is a key ingredient to a studio these days. No question. A must have. Let me know when you get a girlfriend. heh
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

working on it. haha
thanks for the info.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy655
Hi guys,
Alright, I do mainly hiphop, r&b music.
Lots of rap vocals. So its widely known the with hiphop, if the drums don't thump, the songs not happening all the way.

I'm looking to invest in my first outboard compressor. I have lots of
experiece with the uad stuff as well as waves. But I think the plugs are missing what I need for that true thump.

Looking at either a DBX160a, or something nicer like a distressor. If
you guys could give me some pros and cons of each, I'd let you sleep with my girlfriend. If I had one

Help a brotha out....
-jon
The Distressor will be more versitile,get one when you can. I would not buy a new DBX 160a. Buy a 160x in good condition. Ive done comparisons it sounds so much better than the 160a version! Great compressor for the money. I hope your next girlfriend travels!
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Go for the Distressor, no question.
Old 3rd July 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

Without a doubt, the EL8X will work for you. The EL8X is awesome!

Buy a used EL8x and use the extra money for a 160x / xt
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

From one brotha to another,

I was just in the same position as yourself, you know, looking for my first outboard compressor. And I'd been hearing so much about the distessor and the 1176 more than any other compressor out there, especially for rap. Now I haven't heard the 160x, even though I know Dre uses it regularly, but I got to tell you I just picked up that Distressor and man...... it is the fa sho' sh#t! It's dat deal. It's very versitile in how you can manipulate the sound from one extreme to the next. You want it punchier, no problem. You want that compressed to hell sound with a dirty texture, no problem. It does it all and without you having to mess around with it for 2 weeks to get the hang of it.

Dispite my unfamiliarity with the 160x, I highly recommend getting the Distressor, even blindly.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Being that you can get a used 160X/XT for $200 or even less sometimes, I dont know why you wouldn't get both (what kind of gearslut are you anyways?! heh )..... I agree you should skip the 160a version...
Old 4th July 2005
One with big hooves

IMHO there are a bunch of things that the Distressor can handle really well, but vocals aren't one of them. I've tried time and time again but there are too many artifects for my tastes and I can never get the vocal to sit in the mix.

I also try to avoid running any kind of audio through 160A's at all costs unless I want to make it more 2-dimensional and vailed. If your dead set on the 160 thing, try to find an X or XT, or better yet...get the0 original 160VU. Not that they're my first choice for vocals (actually I'd rather have a Distressor)but they're way hipper then the 160A.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Guru

regarding thump on the drums, two things come to mind:

1: parallel compression; hype the low end on the kick and snare and bring them up under the compressed submix. thump.

B: cascading buss compression, starting with a slow attack (20-100 ms) on an 1176-style fet, followed by something less aggressive with a fast attack and slower release. the first compressor, done right, creates the perfect 'popping' sound on the transients, the second sucks up the stuff in between the beats and creates fatness.

it's very easy to go overboard. listen to your favorite albums *very quietly* and switch back and forth as you're mixing. there's probably less squish than you think, but it's done really well so it gives the illusion of hitting harder. don't forget, too, that good mastering will give you a lot more spank and thump, so don't feel like you have to do it all in the mix.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Not trying to hijack, but I have a DBX 160X in good shape that I will let go for 150.00 shipped.PM or e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

aight man, the distressor is on the way
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Guru

jim williams did a mod on my DBX160A and it is so wonderful now ..... open and clear without that dark thing you get when it is stock ...

thank you jim
Old 6th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy655
aight man, the distressor is on the way
congrats man, you'll love it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search