The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Paisley Park Studios - out of business? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Paisley Park Studios - out of business?

Their website seems to be down - Paisley Park Studios - and I think I've read somewhere that the studio would no longer be open to the public. Strangely today I couldn't find any reliable information at all.

Does anyone know whether the studio is still up and running?

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

believe it closed back in 1996
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
I thought it had reopened around 2004 or 2006.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
No.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
I thought it had reopened around 2004 or 2006.

Ok. Homie from MN who did alot of work there way back confirmed. It did close back in 1996 and remained closed until 2004.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
...and remained closed until 2004.
Thanks! But what happened then?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

It did reopen about 4 years ago, but it is not open to the public. You have to be invited to record there. I haven't heard anything recently about it closing. I have heard from a few friends that used to work there that every so often, Prince throws a fit and fires the entire staff for no reason, and then hires everyone back a week later. Maybe that happened again?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

A friend of mine is mixing his new record. Though he's doing here in LA as far as I know.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
A friend of mine is mixing his new record. Though he's doing here in LA as far as I know.
And what does this have to do with Paisley Park???
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Guru

I live 10 minutes from there. Can I get invited? heh
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
It did reopen about 4 years ago, but it is not open to the public. You have to be invited to record there. I haven't heard anything recently about it closing. I have heard from a few friends that used to work there that every so often, Prince throws a fit and fires the entire staff for no reason, and then hires everyone back a week later. Maybe that happened again?
Thanks for your reply! I have just sent you an email. Do you have any idea how to get in touch with them?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have also heard he is now living in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
If Prince isn't there using it, it may not be in his best interest financially to keep it open.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I was alluding the possibility of Prince not working much at PP these days.

He's been in LA a lot lately. He also has a house just off Sunset on Doheny.
Old 3rd February 2009
I heard (on the net) that they stopped hiring it out recently because clients weren't respecting the place... sorry, can't find the link. Maybe because housequake.com is closed.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
I was alluding the possibility of Prince not working much at PP these days.

He's been in LA a lot lately. He also has a house just off Sunset on Doheny.
Got it! I read it wrong - thought you meant that your friend was mixing his OWN record.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Another funny quirk/rumor about the studio: since Prince became a Jehovah's witness, no one is allowed to drink, smoke, cuss, or do drugs within the studio. Since most musicians love to do all those things, that eliminates a lot of potential business for the studio.

Considering the amazing amount of work, money, and design(the place is built like a bomb shelter), that went into building the studio, I don't think it would make financial sense for him to permanently close the studio. Why do that, when he could just fire the staff, and have no bills on the place except for the property taxes. That way he could shut the studio down for 5-10 years at a time without thinking twice.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

From what I know it has been closed to the general public for many years. Prince of course records there and any artists he is helping out. I do hear the soundstage gets rented out but not the studios.

Every few years there will be a release saying they are open but then still noone is actually allowed to record there.

Peace Todd
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

I stand corrected.
My friend, whose mixing Prince's record, has been working between LA and Minneapolis for the past six months.
Not sure if that means they've been working at Paisley Park or elsewhere in Minneapolis.
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

Paisley Park is more or less closed to the public. In 2004 it was supposed to have reopened to the public, but it didn't pan out that way. Not one client was ever booked, although there were many people trying to book it. The sound stage is rented out sometimes but very rarely. Prince will close it at a moments notice.

Prince is the only person that records there now. Sometimes Larry Graham.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

I miss that place...
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
since Prince became a Jehovah's witness.
Thats the best ever still... When he turned with Larry Graham... Awesome. Prince... a man of god now. Yet he still has ALL his riches! Hes such an ass... Not debateable- ask those who know him... really know him.

Theres no question that affected the studio in a BIG way...

And proved that while the consumate musician, Prince is a complete fool! Maybe Scientology next! I wonder if he thinks he has also been chosen by god to rule the earth... Im not making that up- that Jehovahs for you!heh

At least all that great gear is sitting and waiting for his ass to die and then it will be released back into the wild for us (dismantled and sold)... Im fine with that!
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

He might be an ass... But if he is, he's an ass that sure can play guitar.

Since I don't have to work with the guy, it's possible for me to dig his work and to let the rest go...

As they say here: YMMV
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

I smell a new ASS around Gearslutz... And it's not Prince.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe some day Prince will ring my doorbell early Saturday morning after I have been out all night Friday drinking, cussing, and doing drugs so he can give my hung over ass a Watchtower magazine? Could happen, you never know.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
Thats the best ever still... When he turned with Larry Graham... Awesome. Prince... a man of god now. Yet he still has ALL his riches! Hes such an ass... Not debateable- ask those who know him... really know him.
I don't know if the implication is that Prince is an ass because of Larry, but if so that is just plain wrong. Larry is honestly one of the nicest, warmest people I have ever had the chance of hanging out with. And yes, he did give me a bible, and yes, we did talk about god, and no, at no point did he try to convert me. Prince is just Prince, and the conversion has nothing to do with his personality. If anything, I think that Larry has been a positive influence.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Head

About Paisley Park

Just returned from sessions in L.A.

Heard while I was there that there is some dismantling being done at PP...
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I think all musicians that operate in the zone Prince does are always a whisker away from complete insanity. It's the price of being a genius.

BUT... I saw Prince from the 7th row at a show one night and I was absolutely gobsmacked. I mean, knocked over. The guy is an incredible musician and within 30 seconds he had the crowd doing whatever he said... and they didn't stop obeying for over 2 hours. Sure, he may be a tough task master but he delivers, consistently. Not many around these days who can.
Old 9th April 2009

Prince had a habit of kicking out clients out of the studio so it probably was not the best place to go if you wanted your project to get done.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

There has to be a distinction between Prince the 'person' and Prince the 'artist'.

As a person, I put Prince up there with the prima donna/hissy-fit/stark raving lunatic celeb that he is.

However, as an artist, I think Prince is one of a very few that can not only write, but can play virtually any instrument like a god, record like a pro, mix his (or another artist that he admires/respects) albums to be the most kickin/bangin sounding on earth, and perform to the standard that he could have an entire audience do ANYTHING he says.

THAT gets my respect, not his eccentric personality...

All to say - I wish I could just step inside PP to gawk. It's been a dream of mine to walk into that place (better yet, take a helicopter ride into it's heli-port!) If I had just a fraction of the gear in that place, I'd die a happy man!
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Dug up this old thread
Flash forward to 2011

I see Prince announced last week that he will never ever release another album due to piracy, no money in it etc etc.

Some other guy mentioned somewhere that he drove over to PP and it had weeds everywhere and was pretty deserted but Prince still owns it and has placed all the records ever made there out of print. And you can't rent the place to record there yourself because... well .. haven't really got that one down yet.

So does this mean that Prince owns PP, but doesn't record there, but instead records here in LA to make all those records that he's never going to release?

Just wanna make sure I understand how the record biz really works.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search