• Pete Anderson (Dwight Yokam)
• Philip Bynoe (Steve Vai) • Larry Carlton
• Craig Chaquico • Chris DeGarmo
• Reeves Gabrels • Warren Haynes
• Allan Holdsworth • Will Lee
• Steve Morse • Lee Ritenour
• Chris Squire • Michael Wilton
• Don Weiss-engineer (Beach Boys) • Steve Vai

SUPER CLEAN – less than .1% THD +- 1dB 20 to 20kHz • CRYSTAL CLEAR – TRANSPARENT– doesn’t sound “processed” • HIGH SLEW-RATE – better than 50 volts per µ second • SOLID BASS – reproduces exactly what the kick drum delivers • SUPER QUIET – no hum or line noise generated internally • OPTIO ISOLATOR LIMITORS – a CARVIN exclusive that eliminates limiter distortion typically inherent in other amps

POWER OUTPUT
CONTINUOUS RMS POWER – not “pulse power” • CONTINUOS KICK BASS– large power supply capacitors maintain reserve voltage • CARVIN’S weight ratio offers more performance per pound. Ultra light amps can have a tendency to under perform especially below 4 ohms and for high current subwoofer applications
• TOROIDS TRANSFORMER – delivers 24 hour continuous operation • CONTINUOS 2 ohms (4 ohms bridge) - other amps turn off • STABLE under all loads included 25 volt and 70 volt audio distribution lines

ROCK SOLID CONSTRUCTION
MADE IN THE USA – most power amps are now imported • All STEEL construction – no plastic • SHALLOW DEPTH 10.5” (except DCM4000) – most amps are 14” to 18” • Rock-solid, fire rated MILITARY SPEC F4 FIBERGLAS™ circuit cards • SMT

CONSTRUCTION prevents component shake-down – cement drop tests have proven the mechanical reliability of DCM’s • RECESSED LEVEL CONTROLS – protects controls

MODULAR CONSTRUCTION – Simply unplug & remove card for replacement • VARIABLE SPEED FAN keeps internal components cool • High density ALLOY HEATSINKS are like heavy-duty radiators keeping all output devices cool even in extreme temperatures
• Large FRONT VENTS enhance circulation for low internal temperatures

I know the artist above probably got them for free, but I also know they can afford to use any amps they want for their studios. My experience at one studio that had them was they were very clean and detailed. Though the spec's look impressive I know that does not tell you anything on the sound. What difference would there be in using a Carvin amp over some higher priced ones. \
Has anyone used one, and what is your experience with them?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

They're OK, not great, I wouldn't spend money on a new one.

Better than Crate is one way to put it.

If you see a Bel Air used for like $100 pick it up - ch1 is very Fender.

This is a pro audio forum, you should goto www.harmonycentral.com
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Head

I'm a sound contractor and I like Stewart World Series, Crest, Carver and Crown. I'm a Carver dealer and find them to be much like QSC. I think the person above got them mixed up with Carvin instead of Carver
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

The tube amps they started making since the mid 90s sound great. However, I think the stuff made in the 80s was quite tinny.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

The poster here is talking about POWER AMPS not guitar amps, i believe ; )
i'm curious as well as i am about to switch to passive monitors and have picked out a qsc for my budget but would be open to carvin if i could hear one or some positive thoughts.

mckay
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater
I'm a sound contractor and I like Stewart World Series, Crest, Carver and Crown. I'm a Carver dealer and find them to be much like QSC. I think the person above got them mixed up with Carvin instead of Carver
Yeah, edit that...those are the power amp specs...
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce
The poster here is talking about POWER AMPS not guitar amps, i believe ; )
i'm curious as well as i am about to switch to passive monitors and have picked out a qsc for my budget but would be open to carvin if i could hear one or some positive thoughts.

mckay
That's why I didn't see that model number in with the guitar amps; oop!
Old 29th June 2005

Those are specs for a PA amp. I'd be suprised if Carvin was making them. They are probably a re-label of another manufacturer and may not be available directly.

Carvin gear is generally pretty decent, but usually overpriced compaired to deals you can make going through retailer.

-tINY

Old 29th June 2005
I am talking about CARVIN amps like this one. http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...DCM600&CID=PWA

Many people have active monitors in their studio, but I can't imagine the amps that come with the monitors being that good. A Bryston amp alone cost more than most of the active monitors out there. Even a mid range Adcom amp can cost the same price as a active monitor.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
I know on the Carvin web site they mention

DCM USERS:
• Pete Anderson (Dwight Yokam)
• Philip Bynoe (Steve Vai) • Larry Carlton
• Craig Chaquico • Chris DeGarmo
• Reeves Gabrels • Warren Haynes
• Allan Holdsworth • Will Lee
• Steve Morse • Lee Ritenour
• Chris Squire • Michael Wilton
• Don Weiss-engineer (Beach Boys) • Steve Vai

SUPER CLEAN – less than .1% THD +- 1dB 20 to 20kHz • CRYSTAL CLEAR – TRANSPARENT– doesn’t sound “processed” • HIGH SLEW-RATE – better than 50 volts per µ second • SOLID BASS – reproduces exactly what the kick drum delivers • SUPER QUIET – no hum or line noise generated internally • OPTIO ISOLATOR LIMITORS – a CARVIN exclusive that eliminates limiter distortion typically inherent in other amps

POWER OUTPUT
CONTINUOUS RMS POWER – not “pulse power” • CONTINUOS KICK BASS– large power supply capacitors maintain reserve voltage • CARVIN’S weight ratio offers more performance per pound. Ultra light amps can have a tendency to under perform especially below 4 ohms and for high current subwoofer applications
• TOROIDS TRANSFORMER – delivers 24 hour continuous operation • CONTINUOS 2 ohms (4 ohms bridge) - other amps turn off • STABLE under all loads included 25 volt and 70 volt audio distribution lines

ROCK SOLID CONSTRUCTION
MADE IN THE USA – most power amps are now imported • All STEEL construction – no plastic • SHALLOW DEPTH 10.5” (except DCM4000) – most amps are 14” to 18” • Rock-solid, fire rated MILITARY SPEC F4 FIBERGLAS™ circuit cards • SMT

CONSTRUCTION prevents component shake-down – cement drop tests have proven the mechanical reliability of DCM’s • RECESSED LEVEL CONTROLS – protects controls

MODULAR CONSTRUCTION – Simply unplug & remove card for replacement • VARIABLE SPEED FAN keeps internal components cool • High density ALLOY HEATSINKS are like heavy-duty radiators keeping all output devices cool even in extreme temperatures
• Large FRONT VENTS enhance circulation for low internal temperatures

I know the artist above probably got them for free, but I also know they can afford to use any amps they want for their studios. My experience at one studio that had them was they were very clean and detailed. Though the spec's look impressive I know that does not tell you anything on the sound. What difference would there be in using a Carvin amp over some higher priced ones. \
Has anyone used one, and what is your experience with them?
They say they are users of Carvin amps but some or most dont use them when playing live or in the studio. I think they use them in there living room for a practice amp!
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

Lesson I learned the hard way- if you want to use a big noisy fan cooled PA amplifier in a recording studio, make sure you can store it in a sound isolated area.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Addict

I have 2 DCM2000's.

There great for the price. Good features, reliable, and they sound pretty good too. But not on the same level as Crest, Carver, ect.

On a side note, I have 2 Crown XLS power amps, and the Carvin DCM's completely kick the their asses!
Old 4th July 2005
One with big hooves

They're no worse then a PV.

On second thought...

I've yet to see a PV power amp spit out flames and stop a show.

I wouldn’t use a Carvin amp on a gig without a back up and a fire extinguisher.

thumbsup
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

whoops... you were asking about P.A. amps.

The DCM series has an awesome reputation in DJ circles.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
They're no worse then a PV.

On second thought...

I've yet to see a PV power amp spit out flames and stop a show.

I wouldn’t use a Carvin amp on a gig without a back up and a fire extinguisher.

thumbsup
When I was doing a lot of live audio I bought a DCM600 to stick in a little rack with a Furman power strip, a delay, and a crossover for little gigs. Used it a couple of times and then sure enough, the thing did spit out flames and damn near brought our live TV show to a halt as it was driving our band's monitors. I ended up using one side of the guitar player's Mesa 20/20 power amp to drive a pair of 12" wedges.

Turns out a heat sink came loose and lodged between the power supply and the steel amp chassis. Carvin fixed it while I waited, but I will NEVER buy another piece of their gear. People who buy Carvin audio gear are buying with their wallets instead of their ears.

Ken

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search