The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Eventide H8000 vs Kurzweil KSP8?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Eventide H8000 vs Kurzweil KSP8?

I was all set to include the KSP8 to my studio's arsenal, looking for mucho FX AND quality conversion both ways. It's clear the KSP8 is an amazing value but.....

I'm now intrigued by the H8000 and although 2wice the price the question is;

Are the KSP8's fx even close in depth and quality to the H8000s?

I'm doing lots of pop, rock, r&b for clients CD projects using a "Vintage" Digi 001 set up.

Thanks, Fingerz
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

KSP8 = FX processor

H8000 = Musical Instrument

Are you a musician interested in learning a new instrument and notation language (VSIG)?

If not, KSP8 all the way. The reverbs and delays sound lovely.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

H8000- not only an instrument,
but a DSP god.

Let there be reverb....

ruudman
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

Hah! Man you need to do some searches. =) Just recently there was a thread on the KSP8 again. This one has been talked to death and having been an owner of both "at the same time" the KSP8 is simply not even a worth competitor to the H8000. Let me put it to you this way, it really does not matter what music you do, if your system currently lacks DSP and you are running an older slower machine, maybe even an old Pro Tools MIX system, then the KSP8 is gopnna be a good value because you can run 4 decent stereo verbs all at once or any combination of 4 stereo FX or 8 mono FX aor any combination in betweent all at once. That's a pretty big deal. Try throwing up 4 stereo verbs in a PT MIX session and it could easily eat a whole card alive. That being said, technology has gotten much better since the PT MIX / Dual 1.25 G4 days. And a lot of PLUGIN verbs out there can totally smoke the KSP8. Yes the plugin verbs of today will eat the KSP8 alive. I have a Dual 2.5 G5 running Cubase SX and I can get tons of Alitverbs up and runing no sweat. And they all arguably sound better than the KSP8 pending on the impulse. Reaktor alone on a fast machine could pretty much eat the KSP8 alive. The H8000 on the other hand is in a completely different league. You are looking at not only a bad ass FX box, but something that can really go the distance if you decide to get into modular object oriented FX programming. Not only that but the sound quality is completely unparalled. I don't have any plugin verbs, phaser, combfilters, etc.... that can even step to this thing. Try running a stereo to 5.1 verb in a stereo session and pulling the returns back up on 6 faders and you will truly feel the depth of this box. The H8000 is extremely expensive and is not as flexible in recalling settings as the KSP8. the KSP8 is blessed with the simplicity of saving all 4 verbs/ FX into one patch that can be easily named and called up at any given time. The H8000 doesn't really work like that. However the H8000 in my opinion is like the difference between a porche and like a honda accord. Both will get you there. But one will get you there in excessive style. For the price that you could buy the KSP8 used w / remote and AES card / AES snake, you could buy a Dual 2 ghz G5, throw a used Lynx AES 16 card in there and a copy of reaktor, or some sort of VST FX rack app, and it would smoke the KSP8 as a dedicated external FX box. Plus you could play solitaire on it which is always a plus.
Old 28th June 2005
Isn't the KSP-8 limited to 44.1/48 SR?
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

yeah the KSP8 is only 44.1k / 48k and the AD/DA is 1/4" TRS. Another thing about the H8000 that is really the icing on the cake is that it can be a digital swiss army knife. It has sample rate conversion on every channel w/ dithering and pair of real good sounding AD/DA's on XLR connections. It also has an ADAT lightpipe and SPDIF connection. The routing is flexible enough to where you can use it as an extra pair of AD/DA or sample rate converter. For a while I had my Fantom XR (44.1k only) hooked up SPDIF to the H8000 so I could get the Fanton XR into Cubase SX at 96k digitally. As I said before the price tag is not appealing and for the same price you could almost buy an HD core card. But in my opinion if you have the dough, it is a very worthwhile investment.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT
The H8000 is extremely expensive and is not as flexible in recalling settings as the KSP8. the KSP8 is blessed with the simplicity of saving all 4 verbs/ FX into one patch .
just to let you know you can save setup's on the h8000 which includes all routing and all presets. i use it all the time. start useing it you'll love it.. page 93 in your manual
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut
just to let you know you can save setup's on the h8000 which includes all routing and all presets. i use it all the time. start useing it you'll love it.. page 93 in your manual
can you post some mp3's of some way out there presets? i've never hear the thing, i hear its a monster mangler if you want it to be, aswell as a superb rev/chorus/flanger box.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

MP3's and add. info

One place to search is the Eventide Yahoo group

ruudman
Old 29th June 2005
theother
I have the Orville/R and the KSP8.

The Orville and H8000 share a lot of the same presets.

IMO the Eventide Orville and H8000 sound much better than a KSP8.
I also like the vintage emulations on the Eventide. (AMS delays etc)

Would I like with the KSP is that it has 4 engines, you can mix outputs together, and you can store whole setups (all for machines).

The Eventide just 'sounds' better.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
I have the Orville/R and the KSP8.
The Orville and H8000 share a lot of the same presets.
IMO the Eventide Orville and H8000 sound much better than a KSP8.
I also like the vintage emulations on the Eventide. (AMS delays etc)
Would I like with the KSP is that it has 4 engines, you can mix outputs together, and you can store whole setups (all for machines).
The Eventide just 'sounds' better.
Totally agreed. As far as flexibility and ease of use the KSP8 wins IMO. But yeah the Eventide truly just sounds way better. You need a meat and potatoes workhorse go with the KSP8. You need high class, go with the Eventide.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

i dont know why people feel the h8000 or orville are not flexibile and easy to use.
you can store whole setups and rout anything to anything...ive never used a ksp8
but i did buy a mangler and sold it on ebay the next day. im sure the ksp8 sounds better.. the only thing that can get complicated on eventide's is vsig.
Old 30th June 2005
theother
Quote:
i dont know why people feel the h8000 or orville are not flexibile and easy to use.
you can store whole setups and rout anything to anything...ive never used a ksp8
but i did buy a mangler and sold it on ebay the next day. im sure the ksp8 sounds better.. the only thing that can get complicated on eventide's is vsig.
I can only speak for the Orvile, because that's what I've got:

Well for a start, and maybe I missed something, how do you mix both engines A+B onto a single pair of analog outputs?

How do you save a setup that includes the presets you used in both engines, plus parameters you changed, without changing the original presets, plus in/out eQ, plus audio input and output routing, plus FX sends on an Eventide??
Old 30th June 2005
member no 666

This is interesting... my favorite digital reverb is an EMT-250... 32kHz sampling rate at 8 bits that sound closer to a plate than anything I've ever heard [including some plates!!!].

Now the KSP-8 is the second best digital reverb I've ever heard... then again, I find the whole "routing, recall and setup" part to be a tedious pain in the ass... but I'm old so what do I know.
Old 30th June 2005
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Now the KSP-8 is the second best digital reverb I've ever heard... then again, I find the whole "routing, recall and setup" part to be a tedious pain in the ass... but I'm old so what do I know.
A pain in the ass it is. But it comes in handy that you are able to store everything on the KSP in one preset for the song your are just working on.

The preset (or called STUDIO on the KSP) get's usually the song's name here.

I guess if I had to coose I'd rather have something simple, too. But only because the KSP-8 is ALREADY so complicated it helps that you can store everything in a STUDIO preset.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
I can only speak for the Orvile, because that's what I've got:

Well for a start, and maybe I missed something, how do you mix both engines A+B onto a single pair of analog outputs?

How do you save a setup that includes the presets you used in both engines, plus parameters you changed, without changing the original presets, plus in/out eQ, plus audio input and output routing, plus FX sends on an Eventide??

to mix both A and B dsp's you have to get to the routing page by pressing and holding down the program key and select the series setup..eventide also has a routing program for the orville you can download.. to access the setup's storage area you have to press and hold the program key a second time..when you save a setup it will ask you if you want to include the presets in dsp A and B you say yes ....page 92 in the manual..
Old 30th June 2005
Quote:
This is interesting... my favorite digital reverb is an EMT-250... 32kHz sampling rate at 8 bits that sound closer to a plate than anything I've ever heard [including some plates!!!].

Hey Fletch have you ever heard the Dynatron 255 or the 250 emulations on the TC M4000?

To me these were closer.

The Dynatron is the closest but lacks the bloom.

But i gather this is because of the converters.

With some EQ you can get pretty close.

TC M4000 for the price sounds closer to me than the KSP-8.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

This might sound stupid, but anyone looking for a new verb should check out the wizooverb w2, this reverb is just stupidly good.
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just demoed the Waves IR 1 reverbs and they blew away my KSP-8.

I never thought a plugin could do that. This convolution stuff really kicks ass.
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

I bought the H8000. Plugged it in...10 mins later I am still trying to figure out what goes where...2 Hours later after reading the manual things make more sense...first week feels better...

Fast-forward 3 months (including diving a bit into the VSIG editor)... O M G ! This unit is a beast...if you want the fastest easiest solution then look elsewhere...but if you want a piece that months (or even years) after you owned it, it will make you say " No F'king way...I had no idea it can do that!!" then this is it.

As far as reverbs go, between this unit and TL Space I'm pure Gold
Old 1st July 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Fletch have you ever heard the Dynatron 255 or the 250 emulations on the TC M4000?

To me these were closer.
Glad to hear it worked for you... I've never heard a t.c. reverb I thought was worth a ****... but that could just be me. I'm the same guy who has felt the Evenrude 2016 has been a flaming piece of **** since the day it was born [25+ years ago]... but there are sooooo many people that seem to feel they **** ice cream.

Let's just leave it at I think we have a different sense of aesthetic... neither right, neither wrong... just different. I'm glad you've found something that compliments your work... to each their own.

Peace.

[...and while thrill and I will just have to agree to disagree... Kenny's just fukking wrong so I care not what he espouses ]
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry if I drag this thread more off topic but I have some questions for the Orvillle/H8000 users/owners out there. I'm interested in one of these boxes expressly for the VSIG roll your own patches. I'm quite familiar with doing such things in other boxes and apps. I had a TC Fireworx that I thought was great. Did some real nice emulations of the Mutron and Biphase. I finally let it go because I eventually felt the unit imprinted a sameness of sound on everything it touched no matter what the patch. Not bad, but there was a certain depth (of sound not flexibility) I felt it lacked after a while. I also have Reaktor and PSP Nitro for tweakable weirdness. Both have their places but neither really hit the button that says "Juicy". I'm interested if the current Eventides can do that sort of deep, thick, juicy sound I used to get with discrete boxes like the Mutronics, Space Echos, RMX, DMX, etc. I'm familiar with the H3000, DSP4000, and DSP4500. They do the hallmark Eventide pitch functions wonderfully. Never really looked at them as far as reverb and still don't care if the new ones don't rate there. I've checked out some MP3's online of the new boxes and wasn't impressed (the distorted guitar stuff particularly was embarassing). Again it's MP3's and maybe I wasn't in love with the subject material but there were no demos of the sort I was looking for. Any highly subjective opinions or references I could check out would be appreciated.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

buy American get the eventide
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide H8000 vs Kurzweil KSP8?-kurz.jpg  
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
buy American get the eventide
Or...Don't think geography, buy what you really like.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I thought Korea belonged to USA, like the moon does..
heh

Eventide owners, do you use the EveNet?

ruudman
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I thought Korea belonged to USA, like the moon does..
heh

Eventide owners, do you use the EveNet?

ruudman
i dont but there's a company coming out with a new software i want to get..
check it out http://www.vercot.com/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search