The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summit Audio EQP-200A
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

Summit Audio EQP-200A

Has any one used one of the older models? Any opinions on this EQ?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

If thats the dual pultec one, I remember I really liked it. Used one quite a lot about 8 years ago.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Little know fabulous EQ...two mix program...when surgical GML..either not needed or needing fullness
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

Grand 16 KHz they produce! Very silky, expensive sound. The 12KHz is pretty damn good, too.
Fat 100 Hz, but sometimes almost a little too broad for me.
1,5 KHz boost is great on Fender bass guitars.

I like it on vocals, bass, overheads, sometimes bassdrum and even on the 2mix.
I've never had the privelege of working with a pair of Pultecs - but if the original should be even better than the Summit clone - wow, that really must be something...

Cheers, Tom
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear
have one, and pultecs too. i usually go for the pultecs and use it when i run out. great piece of gear, but it doesn't say 'pultec'!heh
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Its underrated. The Summit stuff gets a bad rap here - its more politcal than anything, and no one likes to break rank.

Deaf sheep, all of em.

If the price is right go for it.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Petrafesa

I own a vintage Summit and it works flawlessly, day in and out, on every project that gets EQ. For shaping, tuning, fixing, tweaking, or slashing broad strokes- this is an animal of an EQ and is totally underrated. If you are buying used, listen to make sure it sounds good and get a good deal- they are pricey new but worth it, but due to being less popular in the USA, you can find GREAT deals.

Oh, my clients THINK I own Pultecs.... until I tell them it was a 200A!

(I also really like the Manley EQ-P's but you need 2RU for three bands in a single channel, versus two RU for a stereo, killer sound.
JvB
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
I own a vintage Summit and it works flawlessly
wow... i thought of summits (even the early ones) as new stuff! guess the one that's getting vintage here is ME! to not be OT, the 200A is a fine instrument, and sure takes up less space than 2 pultecs. but pultecs look alot cooler in the rack... gotta admit. and they go UP in price as time goes on... can't wait til my distressors become 'vintage'.heh
Old 30th June 2005
The EQP 200A/B works really nice on vocals(backgrounds sound great).

I don't like it though on bass and kicks.

Still prefer the originals for this.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru

I just got one of those from a studio blowout last month.
Not a Pultec,but very useful for the $.It was owned by one of D. Hills' buddies and was modded by the man himself.[tubes swapped for Mullards as well]
Mostly use it for air on synths/ strings ,BG voxs, smooth precussion transients etc.. ..sounds nice.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
The EQP 200A/B works really nice on vocals(backgrounds sound great).

I don't like it though on bass and kicks.

Still prefer the originals for this.
I'd like to know what the difference is between the 'A' and 'B' models; anyone know?
Old 30th June 2005
GCL
Lives for gear

I've used a 200A for over 10 years on my mix bus and love it. Great silky texture plus it's just so damn warm sounding. Now I'm pairing it with a TubeTech SMC-2B Multiband compressor on the mix bus, and it just a killer setup for my Pro Tools HD rig. The 200B adds an extra frequency in the low band over the 200A at 180Hz, adds 1500Hz to the high band dial, and also includes a low frequency shelf. Other than those 3 things, they are identical. It's not great at anything surgical (like the Massive Passive). Build quality is great. Early units like mine were pin 3 hot (was easy to switch to pin 2 hot).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search