The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor
Old 31st January 2009
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor

Yesterday was luxury. Took a flight to London and met Simon Saywood who runs Analoguetube, to listen to his Fairchild recreation, the AT-101 (first heard about it here on GS in the news section). Brought two recent projects (Norah Jones-style pop and a jazz recording) that I know the sound of very well. Had a couple of hours in a really good room and tested the unit on bass, ac guitar, lead vocal and on the mix buss. Impressing. Just loved it. High end gone stratospheric. Big thumbs up and respect for Simon.

Check it out:
technicalspeca
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Is he using the new JJ 6386 tubes in it ? If so, did he comment on the quality of them ?

Sounds like a fun day.
Old 31st January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Is he using the new JJ 6386 tubes in it ? If so, did he comment on the quality of them ?

Sounds like a fun day.
Sure was a great day! Yep, it uses the JJ's. Didn't discuss the tubes more than that Simon told that he's been involved in the development of the JJ's as a beta tester. Better talk to him directly if you want to know more. Yesterday I preferred to listen to it more than discuss tube brands, if you see what I mean. This is some piece of gear. I want it...
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

That was one of the highlights of the AES show in San Fransisco. Not sure my business could ever justify the cost, but a boy can dream
Old 2nd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
That was one of the highlights of the AES show in San Fransisco. Not sure my business could ever justify the cost, but a boy can dream
Yeah, Simon told that the AES went really well. Oddly enough, regarding the interest that 670 related threads use to attract, there doesn't seem to be much talk about it here on GS.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

How much $$ ? heh
Old 2nd February 2009

I think it was around 20K USD. But it comes with it's own rack
Old 2nd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
I think it was around 20K USD. But it comes with it's own rack
Isn't it cheaper in the U.S. today with current rates? The homepage says £11.5k. What's that in $? Things have changed since last summer and the Dollar is more than 30% up for us swedes now.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Nut

11,5 GBP = 16 310,54 USD today...
Old 12th February 2009
Just felt for a bump and a pic of this masterpiece. Simons pics on the homepage are much nicer, but this at least proves that I was there...
Attached Thumbnails
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor-l1030064.jpg  
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

I actually had a conversation with Simon last week.
Great guy. I can't wait to hear it in person.

I think his is probably the closest to the real thing.
Old 29th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Melrosemac View Post
I actually had a conversation with Simon last week.
Great guy. I can't wait to hear it in person.

I think his is probably the closest to the real thing.
What a coincidence. I just got email from him. Going to London on vacation in August, so maybe I'll have a short second audition then, just to keep motivation up!..
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

That's good news!
Old 29th April 2009
And the unit got nominated in Resolution mag
Resolution
Good news for Simon too
Old 29th April 2009
Gear Maniac

yup, I saw that.
Old 14th August 2009
Had another audition the other week while on holiday in London. Still blown away. Supersmooth compression and adds a sparkle you don´t want to live without. Feels a bit crazy, but this baby is actually entering my rack pretty soon! Broke but happy!!
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
Had another audition the other week while on holiday in London. Still blown away. Supersmooth compression and adds a sparkle you don´t want to live without. Feels a bit crazy, but this baby is actually entering my rack pretty soon! Broke but happy!!

Awesome!

By the way, as of about one month ago I am the U.S. rep for Simon! Going to meet him at AES in October to launch this baby here in the U.S.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 27th September 2009
9 months since I started this thread and now time for delivery... a bit symbolic... Lately Simon has sent some really slutty pics of the build, but didn't want me to put them up here until now when the build is almost completed. Finalizing, testing and tube break in for another week, then it will be heading here. Yes!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor-at101-1004-1-.jpg  
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Very nice.

I´d love to come and see and hear it. Lunch on me.
Old 28th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Very nice.

I´d love to come and see and hear it. Lunch on me.
You're welcome to do so! Perhaps in the end of next week if everything works out with the finalization/shipping. I'll PM when it arrives and we'll see. But remember, this baby calls for a lunch extraordinaire. We'll be able to A/B with my Fearn and Retros. Hmmm that'll have to be Redarlunch at Gondolen... nah...kidding of courseheh Talk later!
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Great !
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Maniac

I'll be hearing it for the first time in NYC for AES in a few weeks!
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Keep us up to date.thumbsup
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Wow! I met Ana and am in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
Keep us up to date.thumbsup
Day two of AES and we are very happy with the reception so far.
I'm honored to be a part of this.

With respect to Gearslutz I will not be posting anything about us here.
If interested in following more I will be posting on our Facebook page.
Please join us there.

All the best!
Robert McCormick / U.S. Distribution / Hollywood
Simon Saywood / Owner / London
Old 3rd November 2009
Delivery!!

The unit came today. Racking it was quite enjoyable. A very special moment for me, and heavy!.. Had a little time to compare to Retro STA and ADL1500 (w Mullards) which I really like and use a lot. When finally having the opportunity to do this at my own place I'm beginning to grasp the greatness of this unit. Also recognizing/remembering the sound from the few original Fairchilds I've had the opportunity to work with during my years. OMG, it sounds lovely!
Attached Thumbnails
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor-at101intherack2.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The unit came today. Racking it was quite enjoyable. A very special moment for me, and heavy!.. Had a little time to compare to Retro STA and ADL1500 (w Mullards) which I really like and use a lot. When finally having the opportunity to do this at my own place I'm beginning to grasp the greatness of this unit. Also recognizing/remembering the sound from the few original Fairchilds I've had the opportunity to work with during my years. OMG, it sounds lovely!
That's wonderful news!
I'm thrilled
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Guru

Congrats! looks amazing.
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Can't wait to show her off out here in L.A.
Should be getting the demo towards the end of November.
Old 4th November 2009
First tracking session with it tonight. Vocal session on music for a commercial, with a singer I know very well.
Wunder CM7->1081reissue(eq off)->AT101->Prism ADA8XR.
Conclusion: I will never ever track vocals without the AT101. What an insanely great piece of gear.
The clients in my studio wondered why I was smiling all the time...
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
First tracking session with it tonight. Vocal session on music for a commercial, with a singer I know very well.
Wunder CM7->1081reissue(eq off)->AT101->Prism ADA8XR.
Conclusion: I will never ever track vocals without the AT101. What an insanely great piece of gear.
The clients in my studio wondered why I was smiling all the time...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search