The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor
Old 5th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Empire View Post
Can't wait to show her off out here in L.A.
Should be getting the demo towards the end of November.
I know of a really nice 670 waiting to take the challenge!
Old 5th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
That would be interesting. I believe Simon already did that with one (or more?) 670 in London.
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

I had the pleasure of visiting unit7 today and hear this lovely piece of equpiment.

The inside of the compressor reveals very neat workmanship and I can only imagine how many hours goes into making one. It´s a beauty, inside and out.

Sonically it´s a thrill. It has this very pleasing quality to it, very hard to say exactly what it is but the material we listened to was simply more "there" with the AT101 in the path. Smooth yet ballsy and present.

Buying a lottery ticket tonight...
Old 5th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Interesting.
What's your contact number?
Old 5th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I had the pleasure of visiting unit7 today and hear this lovely piece of equpiment.

The inside of the compressor reveals very neat workmanship and I can only imagine how many hours goes into making one. It´s a beauty, inside and out.

Sonically it´s a thrill. It has this very pleasing quality to it, very hard to say exactly what it is but the material we listened to was simply more "there" with the AT101 in the path. Smooth yet ballsy and present.

Roughly about 6 weeks to build one.
Old 5th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

You had to look under the hood did you?
It's silly but, I have to admit, that I would love to have a clear front on it.
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McCormick View Post
You had to look under the hood did you?
It's silly but, I have to admit, that I would love to have a clear front on it.
It was actually the first thing unit7 did when we got to the studio... hey, have a look inside... heh

Yep, there´s certainly nothing to be ashamed of in there.
Old 5th November 2009
Quote:
It was actually the first thing unit7 did when we got to the studio... hey, have a look inside... heh

Yep, there´s certainly nothing to be ashamed of in there.
Hey...we just met...I was kind of shy, and we'd just fired up the unit waiting for it to reach op temp...so what should I do?!heh
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

You did good. heh
Old 6th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
The clients in my studio wondered why I was smiling all the time...
cool!
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Nice pic of the AT-101 in it's first stage of production.
Attached Thumbnails
The Analoguetube AT-101 compressor-early-production-stages.jpg  
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

I have the AT-101 in my studio for about a week to demo - had an hour or so time to play with it this morning. Great piece, actually quite versatile, quite different from my Phoenix comp. First impressions very favorable.
Old 12th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
I have the AT-101 in my studio for about a week to demo - had an hour or so time to play with it this morning. Great piece, actually quite versatile, quite different from my Phoenix comp. First impressions very favorable.
Interesting to hear what a pro ME like you will say about it after a little more testing.
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McCormick View Post
Nice pic of the AT-101 in it's first stage of production.

Hey are those Hovland caps? Nice... What trannies are in this unit. I did hear it at the AES. Sounded great!

Last edited by DONNX; 13th February 2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Mispelled Hovland. My bad
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Hey are those Holland caps?
I think they are Spain caps.
Old 13th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
What trannies are in this unit. I did hear it at the AES. Sounded great!
Sowter
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let us know if such happens.
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

This is so easily the best compressor i ever used, it's really quite silly.
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I can´t afford it so I just pretend it doesn´t exist. It almost works.
Old 15th February 2010
Quote:
Old 26th February 2010
Here for the gear

Hey guys i'm testing the AT-101 right now and oh boy this thing is good, real good.

it's a sh.tload of money but IMHO absolutely worth it.
This thing is a classic with that magic that you get when using superb vintage gear. (at sim. prices)

It does not really even matter if it's a one on one copy of a org Fairchild.

test it out when you have chance and you'll see.....
Old 19th June 2010
Oh GOD please help me - I'm so suffering from gear lust right now - maybe I can sell my car.
Old 19th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Oh GOD please help me - I'm so suffering from gear lust right now - maybe I can sell my car.
heh
If you're up for some more torment, check out Ronan's new video:
Analogue Tube AT-101. A new Fairchild 670 style variable bias compressor | Ronan's Recording Show
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
The clients in my studio wondered why I was smiling all the time...
So they actually didn't hear the difference :-) ...joke...

K
Old 23rd September 2010
Yet another article about this baby in Pro Sound News Europe, Sep 2010. Couldn't find it online but I guess Simon will get it up on the homepage soon. Anyway it's about Electric City, a mastering studio in Brussels, ordering the unit. It also confirms what Simon told me about the new 6386 tubes the first time I visited him in Jan 2009. From the article:
The solution was to redevelop exactly the same tubes, a job he assigned to Slovakian tube manufacturer JJElectronic. It took many hundreds of hours correlating static plate current figures against a large quantity of original 6386 tubes. “There were a few broken eggs along the way,” Saywood explains, “but it was well worth it and after two years of development the 6386LPG tube was born and was presented simultaneously with the AT-101 at AES 2008.”
Old 24th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yet another article about this baby in Pro Sound News Europe, Sep 2010. Couldn't find it online but I guess Simon will get it up on the homepage soon. Anyway it's about Electric City, a mastering studio in Brussels, ordering the unit. It also confirms what Simon told me about the new 6386 tubes the first time I visited him in Jan 2009. From the article:
The solution was to redevelop exactly the same tubes, a job he assigned to Slovakian tube manufacturer JJElectronic. It took many hundreds of hours correlating static plate current figures against a large quantity of original 6386 tubes. “There were a few broken eggs along the way,” Saywood explains, “but it was well worth it and after two years of development the 6386LPG tube was born and was presented simultaneously with the AT-101 at AES 2008.”
Hi If you want I'll send you a scan.
Old 24th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMastering View Post
Hi If you want I'll send you a scan.
Thx! Already got one. Didn't want to post because of © stuff... Just thought that the part about the development of the new 6386s was worth mentioning.
Old 24th September 2010
Here for the gear

Oeps copyrights tutt, too enthusiastic about this compressor!
Old 24th September 2010
Gear Head

I've had the privilege of hearing one in person over @ Metropolis Studios... all I can say is that it held its own against the original Fairchild 670 that was next to it. Picture here courtesy of Jon Smeltz, he loved it and used it a fair bit in the mixes he was doing: Metropolis in London and the better than a Fairchild 670 ANALOGUE at-101. Great great unit. | Plixi

Big thumbs up to Simon too for being an all round nice guy, if you get to talk to him about the unit you'll see how much effort and devotion he's put into this. If I could afford one it would be a no-brainer
Old 5th October 2010

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search