The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone want to remix "With Teeth" by NIN?
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy
Done all that, (twice) and still can't get in for protools.
Anyone else have a problem accessing protools session?

Andrew
I'm glad you were able to use Jose's log in information. I believe the same thing happened to me, but they did send an e-mail the next day.

The songs is, well, um, not good. But damn it's really cool to give people the session tracks. Now if we can get Head Like a Hole

Rob
Old 29th June 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
The songs is, well, um, not good. But damn it's really cool to give people the session tracks. Now if we can get Head Like a Hole
lol, i knew i wasnt the only one here...
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Agreed, Head Like A Hole had impact ( and structure)and was a classic but IMO Downward Spiral was an excellent piece of work, as good as anything on PHM. YMMV.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Agreed, Head Like A Hole had impact ( and structure)and was a classic but IMO Downward Spiral was an excellent piece of work, as good as anything on PHM. YMMV.
You know that song had impact when you can play it at a dance club and people would freak.
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Addict

Well I'm going to have to disagree with most of you.

I absolutely love what Trent releases. Even when something sounds like it's falling apart at the seams, he does it painstakingly well.

I'd even go as far as saying that most other artists bore the living **** out of me after a few spins, but Trent always delivers something that grows on me the more I hear it. For this, I love the records even more.

The distortion on parts of the vocal remind me of the way a U47 breaks up when you push too much level into it. What a beautiful thing.

There is no doubt in my mind that this guy has put a lot of thought behind every note and nuance on his records.

I'd imagine that a lot of you who don't like this would have an equally hard time with Tom Waits. Personally, I call it character.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial

The distortion on parts of the vocal remind me of the way a U47 breaks up when you push too much level into it. What a beautiful thing.
What part of the song was that in?
I don't think I used that track.

Anyway, I found the song "Only" to be of demo production quality.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
What part of the song was that in?
I don't think I used that track.

Anyway, I found the song "Only" to be of demo production quality.
It's in almost all the vocal parts where he pushes the vocal level and is quite deliberate and very Trent.

I disagree with your comment about the song/record being demo quality. The production is very deliberate. The distortion and ths low-fi-ness is a big part of the appeal (once you adjust to it, which could take years to adjust to NIN, but that's part of the artistry). I've alway refferred to Trent being the Baskin Robins of distortion - 31 flavours on every record.

It really is great stuff and my guess is that many people who don't like the production and songs probably don't get it, but once you do, you'll be hooked and other artists will pale in comparison. Keep listening, one day it will click.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

It really is great stuff and my guess is that many people who don't like the production and songs probably don't get it, but once you do, you'll be hooked and other artists will pale in comparison. Keep listening, one day it will click.
Sorry, I liked some of his older stuff. And I know bad production when I hear it. It doesn't have to click.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry, I liked some of his older stuff. And I know bad production when I hear it. It doesn't have to click.
With all due respect, please explain what you feel to be bad production both with the finished record and these session files. I feel this stuff is put together exceptionally well and suits the style/genre of music it reperesents. Could it be you just don't like the songs or even the artist?

NIN records are amongst the best made (art-wise and sound-wise) records of their time and beyond, so I really would like to hear what you consider to be bad production in relation to these files. If we can get specific, that would make for a better debate?

Do you dislike "The Fragile" production and songs too?
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
NIN records are amongst the best made (art-wise and sound-wise) records of their time and beyond, so I really would like to hear what you consider to be bad production in relation to these files. If we can get specific, that would make for a better debate?
A debate is useless, becauseit it is obvious thatr you are coming from a hardcore fan point of view, and could never see the flaws that someone like myself hears.

I, as a producer, would be embarrassed to present something like "Only" as a finished song. It just doesn't sound liek any effort was put into actully producing the song. It swounds like Trent had a bunch of musical Ideas, except no one turne dthem into a proper song.
I rn into this all the time with artists.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I, as a producer, would be embarrassed to present something like "Only" as a finished song.
U know, i have to agree.
"only" does not even sound like a real song to me.
perhaps TR meant this 'song' to be listened to in an ironic sense.

"there is only me"

in terms of TRs output, i am of the opinion that whilst making the fragile he became self absorbed and pretentious. some of the re-mix stuff has been kewl, tho'. a lot of the fragile sounded like 'plastic' music to me. all shiny and balanced like a photoshopped pic of a model. the new record to me sounds plastic 'grunge' to me. as if he wanted to make something 'raw' sounding without it actually being 'raw' in the first place.
as far as i'm concerned there is so much more valid music out there that deserves my attention. i did enjoy re-mixing the first song 'the hand that feeds'. i mashed it up w/ the yeastie girls song 'U suck' and a venetian snares sample, 'sucking that corporate cock'.
kind of like 'sucking that corporate cock that feeds me'.
kind of like what i imagine TR to be doing.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Personally, in a sea of over-produced bull****, I find a great bass riff and an awesome vocal with attitude very refreshing.

Its simple. Its not bad production. Its different...why don't you think outside the box? Did the lack of "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus" confuse you too much?

If it doesn't work for some of you, fine. For what it is, I think its great.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
Personally, in a sea of over-produced bull****, I find a great bass riff and an awesome vocal with attitude very refreshing.
So do I. Unfortunately, this is not a great bass riff with an awesome Vocal.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
A debate is useless, becauseit it is obvious thatr you are coming from a hardcore fan point of view, and could never see the flaws that someone like myself hears.

I, as a producer, would be embarrassed to present something like "Only" as a finished song. It just doesn't sound liek any effort was put into actully producing the song. It swounds like Trent had a bunch of musical Ideas, except no one turne dthem into a proper song.
I rn into this all the time with artists.
Again, with all due respect, it is clear you do not understand the man, the genre and the delivery. As a producer myself too, I can tell you that there is quite a lot of thought and technique that goes into developing such a song, despite the fact that you may not hear it that way. You must be deluded to think that Trent has not painstakingly fussed endlessly with the writing, arrangement and production to make this record.

Being a fan of NIN has nothing to do with it. I hear great production in plenty of artists that I don't necessarily like.

I can not accept your opinion without clear and descriptive reasons to support such statements.
Old 6th July 2005
Anyone want to remix "With Teeth" by NIN?

No thank you.
heh
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
So do I. Unfortunately, this is not a great bass riff with an awesome Vocal.
I have to disagree with you again here but how 'bout the funky guitar track or the moog-like keyboard part or the piano track. The vocal delivery is exceptional and the bass line kills.

Dig out Tom Waits "Mule Variations" and tell me you don't like "What's he building?" I bet you have a heartattack with his productions.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
As i said before, I was pretty shocked by the level of production.
The drum programming was very basic, and again I found the songs very under developed.

IMO, from what Iu've heard so far, the producer did a pretty crap job.
it dose not have all of the original tracks. if you listen to the "mix' thatcame on the last track of the protools session it has some guitar parts that are not in the session file. but yeah its pretty slim for NIN. iam having some fun with it for sure.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I like a lot of NIN stuff, it is different and that's good. I just don't think "Only" is a great song, but I don't care, he gave the source tracks away and that makes it OKAY in my book.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

1/ "Only" is to me the weakest track in this new (good)album...

2/ But that's what makes it good for remixing, thank TR he left us room for melodic contents...

3/ NIN has always had some of the best production, now people may not like the genre or understand the effort.

4/ Regarding the level of production on "Only", it's just done on purpose to me, it's his vision of the song, some may not like it, but hey...that's music, it's not meant to be enjoyed/understood by everyone. And again, this could be the only time you think you have a bigger sound than NIN... heh heh heh

Cheers,

Tom VDH
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear
henchman,
just to catch up, do you say the production is less than optimal, and you took it as an opportunity to show an example how to improve? and then you uploaded your mix at myspace? this is the "only.." song?
I'm just totally not into NIN music, no clue, but the topic itself is very interesting...
sorry I don't dig anything except the vocals, to me everything sounds somehow too nice and harmless..
(though I like the older "garbage" songs, or massive attack, prodigy..)
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR
henchman,
just to catch up, do you say the production is less than optimal, and you took it as an opportunity to show an example how to improve? and then you uploaded your mix at myspace? this is the "only.." song?
I'm just totally not into NIN music, no clue, but the topic itself is very interesting...
sorry I don't dig anything except the vocals, to me everything sounds somehow too nice and harmless..
(though I like the older "garbage" songs, or massive attack, prodigy..)
I downloaded the song, before I heard it. I thought it would be interesting to be able to see/hear a song by an artist like NIN in it's Raw format. And that's when I was surprised to hear the, IMO, lack of production and effort that the track exhibited.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'd imagine that a lot of you who don't like this would have an equally hard time with Tom Waits. Personally, I call it character.
Love Tom Waits, hate this track. Both have character
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm with you on this.

I was wondering if I was gonna have all the plugins that ol' Trent has; guess I shoulda figger'd they'd print 'em all.

I do think the song has improved now that I've replaced Trent's vocals with random samples of my dog talking in his sleep and barking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianBrightness
Love Tom Waits, hate this track. Both have character
hee hee
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I'm with you on this.

I do think the song has improved now that I've replaced Trent's vocals with random samples of my dog talking in his sleep and barking.

hee hee
Hahahahahahahaha...

Now that was funny.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Head

I'm suprized no one mentioned how ****ty the overall masters on the album sounded. Trents tones are already crushed as is on this album, why the master have to overdue it and kill the tracks, godamnit my ears bleed when i listen to this album, damn conformist.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=max cooperI do think the song has improved now that I've replaced Trent's vocals with random samples of my dog talking in his sleep and barking.

hee hee [/QUOTE]

hey c'mon, post a link so we can all hear it.
pretty please.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search