The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Helios and Korbys
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Nut

Helios and Korbys

This is only my second post, I think the only other time I’ve ventured from the shadows was to half-heartedly try to sell a pair of Mercury 66 compressors.

For those of you interested at all in the new Helios pre’s – I just did a session this weekend with the Type 69 2-channel and a pair of Korbys with the 67 capsules set up omni as a spaced pair … and … OH MY GOD!! does this combination sound good. We literally wheeled into the room an hour before the show, set up the mics (and a couple others, drum overhead, mic on the amp of the keyboard player, etc.) and rolled. Never recorded in the space before and the first time I was trying out a new rig I built exactly for this type of thing. It is just incredible how good this combination sounded – lush, fat, open and extended, full – just gorgeous, gorgeous. If any of you are in NY and thinking about this stuff, PM me, I’d be glad to let you take it for a spin. BTW I have no affiliation with any of the makers, I’m in the music biz but only do my recording & production stuff on the side cause I love it. For the curious, I was running the Korbys through the Helios through an Apogee AD-16x to a Powerbook running Logic.

Also, a great big plug for Mike Nehra at Vintage King. I’ve put together this rig over the past 6 months or so and this was the first time I wheeled it out into a real gig. Mike dealt with a LOT of back and forth from me as I charted new grounds (for me, anyway) and acted like the gear-obsessed neurotic that I am. He has the patience of a saint and was dead on with every recommendation. He’s a good dude and you cannot go wrong by those guys.

The expression of the people in the choir as they listened after the show through cans was priceless, they could not BELIEVE how good they sounded (and MAN can they sing). I’m doing this gratis for a church up there, once it’s out and available I’ll let you know. If I can find time maybe I’ll try to post a sample of just the Korby-Helios channels so you can see what I mean.

Greg
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Guru

great gear ... well used = great stuff!

i cant believe Round Badge's stereo Helios are still FS down there, and so cheap

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search