The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon PCM42 In 500 Series Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1st June 2012
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Agreed, BB-delays are kinda a real necessity in running a Studio, though DDL's don't just need to be hard core names or DDL's in themselves, plenty of verb units have brilliant Delay setting's and Mod thrown in a unit! (No so often the limiting on 1300/42's PrimeTime's - though a Quadraverb can delay until death! Still, ain't nothing like playing with your knob to get the right "MOJO" ........LOL!
Cheers
TLB (On another 3 to 7 year old thread!)
Ohhhhhh FX Units!

(Also try the Sony R7 and other in the Sony R range of Verb/Delay/Mod/FX - Seriously underrated!)
Old 23rd July 2013
  #32
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Different sound.

No limiter on the PCM 41. On the 1300 you can have option of having a comp in the circuit or out.
Isn't the "comp" short for compensation? I think it means that when comp is on delay time is not only based on the front panel [basic] delay setting but on the logic circuit as well?

I'm a bit confused here.
Old 24th July 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Ziogas View Post
Isn't the "comp" short for compensation? I think it means that when comp is on delay time is not only based on the front panel [basic] delay setting but on the logic circuit as well? I'm a bit confused here.
Hi Dino
apologies, in my posts I've been actually referring to "Comp" the "Limiter/Compression" circuit as "Comp/Lim and Mic/Eq parlance etc" in those specific 1300/PCM-42/M200 and Lexicon Primetime units. I did get your PM and you should now have all the details you require for the unit you requested.
I hope that helps!
Cheers
-TLB-
Old 24th July 2013
  #34
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
How bout a 2290 while you're resurrecting vintage digital...and what was that chorus piece ??
Old 24th July 2013
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
How bout a 2290 while you're resurrecting vintage digital...and what was that chorus piece ??
Are you talking about the TC 1210 Spatial Expander, as that was a really lovely unit that seemed to be based on the "Hass" effect primarily! To me, and others the TC2290 still has a very different sound then the TC D:Two and although the TC D:Two is a great alternative and many 2290 type Algo's have remained, I just feel it lacks some of the old school "MOJO" that the 2290 kept in spades, it's a very "Shiny sounding DDL". Certainly TC made some outstanding products and like Eventide these now seem to be going the way of the Dodo as the Eventide Pedals and TC Nova pedals type series have come out in a Desktop/Floor format replacing 500 series and 19" inch Rack hardware.

The Moog 500 series is a good case in point for a 500 series module! While I can certainly understand the "Multi-use" of the new Pedal type casing, it seems it's the Algo's that are determining sales (More so with the Eventide stuff), the new boxes both companies are making do bring classic algo's cheaply to users in which was once only the domain of Hi-End Studios and Users. I also think it interesting that in 2012/13 both AMS and Eventide have released Plug In's. The Native H3000 seems to hold around 5 or 6 Algo's where as the AMS RMX-16 is again a UAD Plug in not that I've really ever gone into UAD deeply. It seems some love the UAD stuff, and others think it's priced nearer to actual "Hardware" with so many different SHARC DSP configurations!

I'm actually not to big on buying Hardware to get "Software" as in UAD as to me this kind of defeats the purpose, though if your a specific AVID PT user then I guess it must be great stuff! As always
YMMV and usually does!
Cheers
-TLB-
Old 25th July 2013
  #36
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The problem is in the fact that on alot of the older digital machines the sound & limitations of the analog sections plus the converters have become part of the sound we've all grown to love.

Look at every reissue of a digtal classic from the SDX-330(reissue of the sdd-320), the Princeton Digital 2016(reissue of the SP2016), the Dynatron 255(reissue of the EMT 250), SST-206(reissue of the Ursa Space Station), Quantec Yardstick(Quantec QRS) and the H910 (algo in the H3000 and every other Eventide unit after). While they are all useful in their own way none sound exactly like the originals and lack that something that made the originals so sought after. Now that doesn't stop them from being used and incorporated in a studio setup.

In some cases there are improvements(the new stereo rooms in the Princeton Digital, the new reverb algos in the SSt-906, the old Yamaha SPX algos sound killer in the SPX 2000) and the fact that some units can be interfaced digitally in a modern DAW hybrid setup. One company that did do it right is TC Electronics. There delay algos tranfer really well from unit to unit and have the same character all the way back to the 2290. I think the Line 6 echo pro is a great unit & really useful(but its lack of digital ins/outs is a drawback).
You know Thrill...I think this would be a good thing for someone like Steven Slate...someone who emulates older tones and drums sounds,etc. (ACCURATELY mind you) for a living...or the guys at ANAMOD.

Yes it would be different, but if you could make the focus cloning the sound of the thing instead of the software married with newer converters which would "clean" things up too much for what you want it to do...then I think fitting it into a 500 series slot would be doable. The new Moog Analog Delay has a plug-in control with MIDI programmable parameters, so expanding on the sound bank controls ITB would be easy. 90% of what it does is a digital process, so it might be a quicker thing to get right than many analog clones.
Old 25th July 2013
  #37
Gear Head
 

ya that would be awesome to have stuff like that in a lunchbox
Old 25th July 2013
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
You know Thrill...I think this would be a good thing for someone like Steven Slate...someone who emulates older tones and drums sounds,etc. (ACCURATELY mind you) for a living...or the guys at ANAMOD.

Yes it would be different, but if you could make the focus cloning the sound of the thing instead of the software married with newer converters which would "clean" things up too much for what you want it to do...then I think fitting it into a 500 series slot would be doable. The new Moog Analog Delay has a plug-in control with MIDI programmable parameters, so expanding on the sound bank controls ITB would be easy. 90% of what it does is a digital process, so it might be a quicker thing to get right than many analog clones.
I always think in the 500 Series that having to design the actual unit, then fit components to size and or source them, make sure your not in a redundant scenario, then draw up the plans, design a 1 or 2 rack size, then tool up, start production and await for returns on a 500 Series FX Processor seems possibly a bridge to far, I understand that the 500 series has become popular again, though 500 series units do have physical parameters that would certainly make an investor nervous, a 19" rack format would seem much more likely and able in the new FX Scenario IMHO. Though Points to Moog for that 500 rack design. If anything I imagine a Euro-Mod style Synth system would be the 1st to gain in this area as it's deeply invested with DIY people making Kits and Pre-Made Units are market attractive already.
Old 25th July 2013
  #39
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
I always think in the 500 Series that having to design the actual unit, then fit components to size and or source them, make sure your not in a redundant scenario, then draw up the plans, design a 1 or 2 rack size, then tool up, start production and await for returns on a 500 Series FX Processor seems possibly a bridge to far, I understand that the 500 series has become popular again, though 500 series units do have physical parameters that would certainly make an investor nervous, a 19" rack format would seem much more likely and able in the new FX Scenario IMHO. Though Points to Moog for that 500 rack design. If anything I imagine a Euro-Mod style Synth system would be the 1st to gain in this area as it's deeply invested with DIY people making Kits and Pre-Made Units are market attractive already.
Moog also have a fantastic filter for the 500 series that works the same way. I'm gearing up to get get a pair of both. *They are on the list. The Analog Delay Alone is worth it.

Again I think Anamod, or Steven Slate and Co...maybe both could do it as a joint one off. I'm not sure that you'd have to do exactly the same so much as model the parts in the conversion that give it that classic tone. The digital side to the actual reverb / FX processing could easily be plug in based and be controlled via MIDI. It's a specialized product, but with the right marketing it could work...there's always a pair of those units in the rack behind Chris Lord-Alge for example. Get someone like him to try it out and sign off on it and you'd be done.
Old 25th July 2013
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Moog also have a fantastic filter for the 500 series that works the same way. I'm gearing up to get get a pair of both. *They are on the list. The Analog Delay Alone is worth it.

Again I think Anamod, or Steven Slate and Co...maybe both could do it as a joint one off. I'm not sure that you'd have to do exactly the same so much as model the parts in the conversion that give it that classic tone. The digital side to the actual reverb / FX processing could easily be plug in based and be controlled via MIDI. It's a specialized product, but with the right marketing it could work...there's always a pair of those units in the rack behind Chris Lord-Alge for example. Get someone like him to try it out and sign off on it and you'd be done.
Actually, it would be nice to see Lexicon get off this "Software Only" drive and become what they used to be, a brilliant developer of Reverb & FX Units and more so a 500 series. If a PrimeTime 2 Type 500 Series could be squeezed out! I'd say "Amen" to that. It's about time they created something new in Technology Terms, no doubt it could even be outsourced and made in China. In 10 years time just about everything Chinese will no doubt be perfect in form! No Manufacture Co$t problems then!
Old 9th May 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
No regen on the 1300/S Straight Broadcast Delay w/PCM42/200/PrimeTime Limiting - See the quote you erm.......... QUOTED! 1300 has a Beautiful thick gooey warm delay though Just lush & lovely! (Chain into the 1300 and you do get - regeneration!)
TLB.
I also want to add to this post unlike the Prime-Time M95 & PCM-42 the 1300/S Has no Opto CLM-50 type Limiting - It's a totally different Limiting type!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
RobJB06 / High End
6
obostic / High End
27
Deleted bd1be4f / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
gabler / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump