The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Al Smart or XLOGIC? Help me out guys!!
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear
i've been told different VCAs were used in different years of the FX384, so is there a 'best' one?
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey
I just bought a 384 from PAD for $2500. I believe they may still have some in stock (old Hit Factory units). $5000!!! no way!! that's crazy!! I had the c2 and decided to go for the ssl after owning the c2 for about 4 months. Its a great sounding unit but lacked a little presence for what I do. I was looking for the ssl 4k sound to use in conjunction with my g383 e.q's. I don't think one unit is better than the other, its really a matter of preference. If you want something noticeable on the mix bus I think the ssl is the right choice. If on the other hand you need something a little more discreet and conservative the c2 may be the right choice.
Good luck.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear
thanks for the description. very helpful.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

The older FX384 sounds better than the newer FX384 IMO, based on the two units I've heard. I tried the Smart C1 and thought it was every bit as good as the old 384 on the mix bus, maybe more forgiving. I'd love to have it in the rack. Haven't tried the C2. I still use and love the autofade on the SSL.
Have fun,
Sean
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegenh5
The older FX384 sounds better than the newer FX384 IMO, based on the two units I've heard.
any way to tell an old one from a new one externally? if not, does the difference lie in the VCAs or is there something else?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegenh5
I tried the Smart C1 and thought it was every bit as good as the old 384 on the mix bus,

Is that the older C1 you're refering to, or does that go for the latest units as well?

Also, everyone I've talked to keeps saying the older DBX VCA's are superior.

Nonetheless, it could possibly be a placebo (sp?).
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

I've heard both 202 and THAT units. They sound very similar with the THATs being a bit cleaner and better imo.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

There are a number if 202 VCA variants out there too...
1. The 202C gold can VCAs were the ones used in the early 4000 series consoles. These are discrete, and tightly matched, but still need to warm up before they operate at their optimum (don't adjust the distortion trim pots until the unit's been on for an hour).
2. The black 202, like the 202C, but not as tight matching, performance drifts more with temperature. These were used in fader applications, and dbx160Vus.
3. The 202XT, which is an array of 8 dbx 2151's in parallel with a NE5534 buffer driving the control voltage.

Which one sounds better...dunno. I'm building up one SSL clone using 202Cs I got out of an MCI console, and another using an array of THAT 2181s (and servo'd opamps), but really if you ask me 95% of a VCA compressor's sound is in the sidechain.

Cheers,

Kris
Old 9th October 2010
Here for the gear

Code:
I use the FX 384 as well as the API 2500: the 2500 not on the SB though.
Quite different animals; I agree on the FX 384 - if you want the SSL sound that's the one to go for.

(Remember) The Alamo
It's true!!! If you want the SSL sound buy a FX384 or a GSSL clone build with Dbx202x (G series, very punchy) or Dbx202c Gold can(E series, more old school) and turbo board mode.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search