The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
In your opinion, what is the most critical link in a DAW chain?
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
The weakest link is always the room and monitors
Can't agree more thumbsup
Old 28th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
I just wish on a site called Gearslutz that when someone asks what GEAR is the most important element in the recording chain from mic/DI through to the final monitors, we could stop answering things like the engineer, the song, or the source.
I think sometimes people can get frustrated when their 'what is most important' threads get made fun of. But I don't think the teasing or humorous comments are spiteful or malicious... no, instead I think most the "non answers" are born out of a SHARED FRUSTRATION that there is no magic 'silver bullet' or correct order in which to upgrade your signal chain.

I've seen a person (a gearslut on here actually) make an SSL engineer visibly rock on his heels when played a recording made on a 4 track portastudio in a small apartment because it was shockingly good. And I know when we get a crappy band in my studio, it makes our good equipment sound bad...

Having been on studio web forums for about 7 years now I think you could say the following advice from the experienced is common in regards to the recording of acoustic / amplified music.

1) Mic's seem perhaps THE most important part of the signal chain - it's always a good idea to try to start collecting some good ones...

2) Folks often ignore how important control room acoustics are.

Soon after follows a barrage of other possibles... Monitors & everything to do with monitoring, cabling, converters, recording software / hardware, word clock, mic pre's, eq's, compressors, plug ins.. and so the merry dance begins..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search